PDA

View Full Version : It's not enough that he harasses me in the backyard about Sweet Dude...

moosmom
05-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I come home from work tonight at 11 pm. As I open my bottom door, the stairway is filled with smoke!!!!!

My first thought is "What did I leave on the stove???"

Well, it wasn't me, it was that stupid, idiotic drunk SOB on the first floor!!! :mad: My entire apartment was FILLED with smoke and terrified cats!!! Right now my eyes burn and my throat hurts from all the smoke!

None of the smoke detectors were going off. I immediately opened all the windows to get the smoke out. I then went down the back stairway, also filled with smoke and banged (and I mean POUNDED!!) on the SOB's door. As usual, he woke up (sounding drunk!!), "Wah?????" I asked him if he had something he left burning on the stove and he said yeah.

I called my landlord and left a message on his cellphone voicemail. I was frantic!!! I told him what had happened. I said that I'm not sure I can live here anymore, worrying about whether this drunk won't set the entire place on fire one day.

I can't even begin to image what would've happened if he hadn't realized what he had done. :mad:

My poor cats! I feel so bad for THEM!! They're so innocent and were panic stricken! I hope Zef throws this a$$hole out!

guster girl
05-25-2004, 10:37 PM
I can't believe your landlord has put with up so much already. I know people who've been evicted for a lot less crap. Glad your kitties and home are alright, though. I feel sorry for that guy, though. I just always feel bad for people that are addicts. :( What a sad life he must lead. At least you're not him, you just have to deal with him. Hope they either kick him out or do something.

Karen
05-25-2004, 10:42 PM
The landlord needs to deal with this guy - demand he get into rehab or get evicted or something. Why didn't the smoke detectors work???????

Steffi N
05-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Donna, this is terrible. How frightened your poor furbabies must have been. I am glad everyone is all right. I hope something can be done about this SOB. He is putting you, your cats, and the neighborhood in danger.

moosmom
05-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Why didn't the smoke detectors work???????

Karen, I have no idea why they didn't work. The City inspectors came through the apartment 2 weeks ago and the smoke detectors were tested and they worked!!!

I do hope my landlord does something. I'm actually afraid (and I don't scare that easily) that one day I'll come home and the building will be a smoldering pile, kitties and all!!! :(

I'll let you know what my landlord says once I hear from them.

Cinder & Smoke
05-25-2004, 11:13 PM
:eek:

Originally posted by Karen
The landlord needs to deal with this guy!

Why didn't the smoke detectors work???????

Donna ~

Do you have "Renter's Insurance"????
If you DO - your policy will provide for cleaning
and de-odorizing your apartment.

If you don't have your own insurance policy -
TALK to the Landlord - see if HE will help with the
expense of cleaning your apartment.

And you **NEED** to find out WHY the Smoke Detectors
did not sound an alarm!!!!
It's quite possibly a State or City LAW that the Landlord
MUST provide smoke detectors for all living spaces.
And they must be "operational"!!

/s/ Phred

NoahsMommy
05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
That would worry me so much!! That guy is an idiot....your landlord better do something about him!

Does your smoke detector work now? Can you test it?

moosmom
05-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Phred,

I do not have renter's insurance. I can't afford it right now, seeing as I only work part-time, while looking for full-time work. They MIGHT have gone off while I was at work. But even when I got home, the apartment was FILLED with smoke! Like I said, when the inspectors were here 2 weeks ago, they worked when tested.

Kelly,

Yeah, I AM worried!! I'm sure my landlord will call me first thing in the morning. I'll let you know what he says.

The furbabies are finally calm. All the smoke has cleared. Most of them are now sleeping on my bed (the only room that had no smoke). Those poor babies!! I feel AWFUL!!

Cinder & Smoke
05-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Donna ~

OK - here's some "Smoke First Aid Tips"...

If it was CLOSED during the smoke incident -
KEEP It CLOSED till the odor has been eliminated!
Meaning - don't open room doors, closets, dresser drawers, etc.

OPEN as many windows as you can - get a DRAFT flowing through
as many rooms as possible.
Best to open both the top and bottom halves of all windows.
If you have casement style - open whichever side lets the wind
blow in and back out the best.
FANS help.

But remember - if a room had no smoke - keep its door Closed!

Depending on how BAD the smoke odor is -
consider taking UN-smoked clothes
(ones that were protected by being in closets & dressers)
out of the apartment. Put em in plastic "garbage bags"
(Tightly Knotted) to carry them out.
Ask a friend to store them till the odor is gone.

Tomorrow - after you talk to the Landlord -
"consider" calling the Fire Department...
SOME will have "Foggers" (Ozone Generators) that help
eliminate SOME smoke odors.
BUT - da KATS will have to be evacuated before using a "Fogger"!!!

Hope this helps!
{{{HUGS}}}

/s/ Phred

joycenalex
05-26-2004, 05:56 AM
when i had the apartment, i bought renters insurance, and i HIGHLY recommend it. some of the companies will take monthly payments. you and your furries and your household goods are at the mercy of that drunk, and you need some protection.

lynnestankard
05-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Donna - this scared the S%$* out of me!!
Why didn't those smoke alarms work?!
I'd be FURIOUS!! As you are! Those poor furry babies :eek: :eek:
I'm not sure about the law over there but would the police be able to do anything about SOB? He's obviously very dangerous and if he's not prosecuted he'll end up - god forbid - killing someone!

Phred - thanks for the Smoke Tips.

Lynne

moosmom
05-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the smoke tips Phred. Unfortunately there's no way to close off my bedroom, as it's an older apartment and my room is actually a "living room" that was converted. It has an archway that leads to what used to be the dining room (now the livingroom). Are you confused yet???

My landlord called me this morning. He's going to talk to the SOB and his roommate, Dave, together, in person.

Zef said that he thinks the reason WHY the alarms didn't go off was because he has the kind of system where if any one of the alarms in any of the apartments is disconnected, it affects the entire system. Which means the SOB disconnect his!!!! :mad:

I told Zef that means I am at the mercy of this jerk! :eek: He told me not to worry, that he was going to take care of the problem. :rolleyes:

I have tart burners going in each room which is taking care of the smoke smell.

I had nightmares last night about this place going up in flames. Back in CT when I was growing up, we had a fire in our house. The smoke smell is something you NEVER forget. I wonder if that had something to do with my dreams???

ramanth
05-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Oh Donna, I'd be terrified! I'm glad you and the kitties are okay. *hugs*

Have you considered picking up a battery operated smoke detector?

Randi
05-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Oh Donna, that must have been scary!! :eek: Poor kitties! :( What a jerk that guy is if he's been disconnecting his own smoke detector. :mad: Get yourself a battery driven one, as Ramanth suggested!

Last year, we had a drunk living arcoss the road with his GS dog. He had been thrown out of his own flat and had borrowed his mothers while she was on holiday. One night, the firebrigade came - there was smoke coming out of the windows and soon after, they came out with the dog in plastic bag and the guy right after - both dead.

When drunks sleep, they SLEEP!! I hope they can find this man an appropiate place to live, so people in your building can relax!

Kfamr
05-26-2004, 09:20 AM
How scary. I would have freaked!!
I really hope your landlord fixes this problem!

K9soul
05-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Zef said that he thinks the reason WHY the alarms didn't go off was because he has the kind of system where if any one of the alarms in any of the apartments is disconnected, it affects the entire system. Which means the SOB disconnect his!!!! :mad:

That sounds to me like a system that wouldn't be legal. Maybe there is a way to check the laws in your area regarding fire safety requirements for rented buildings? If just one nut unplugs their smoke detector it puts the whole apartment in danger! That is just intolerable.

I'm glad your poor kitties were all ok other than traumatized, but you really need some piece of mind. I hope the drunk guy gets evicted but "talking in person" just sounds like he was going to give a warning. :(

luckies4me
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
OMG Donna! :eek: I would be so upset, I would DEMAND that the landlord get rid of this a$$!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Gosh Donna, I am so sorry you have to put up with this jerk! I'm glad no-one was hurt!

Surely the landlord should be worried about the loss of his property - this guy is OBVIOUSLY a risk, and IMHO disconnecting the smoke alram should be grounds for eviction???

Kirsten
05-26-2004, 03:54 PM
OMG, it's horrible to live in a house with idiots like that, nothing is worse than not feeling safe in your home and when you have to be afraid of leaving your place alone!

I've been there before, until I finally packed my bags and moved out.

I hope your landlord will finally do something about that dude.

Kirsten

rg_girlca
05-26-2004, 06:55 PM
I would definitely invest in a battery operated smoke detector.
My gosh, how scary for you and your babies. I hope and pray that your babies weren't affected by the smoke.
Something has to be done about that idiot and soon.
Have any of your other neighbours complained about this SOB?

davidpizzica
05-26-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm just THANKING God that you and your furbabies are alright. That SOB should have been thrown out LONG ago! I'm terrified to think about ANYTHING harming you and your furbabies. If you want to rant about that piece of____ PM me!

moosmom
05-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Well I called my landlord to see if he had a chance to talk to him. He said he went over there but no one was home (OR he was so drunk he didn't hear the knock on the door).

He's coming over again tomorrow and talk to him, only this time earlier to make sure he catches them BOTH at home.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I had been living here about 8 months when I woke up in the middle of the night to the smell of smoke. I opened the back door (which enters into a hallway) and it was filled with smoke. Can't remember if the smoke detectors were going off then. But I pounded on his door (this was before his now roommate had moved in) and asked him if he was burning something. Dave, the original tenant, said yes, he made tapioca pudding and fell asleep!!

His roommate, the OTHER drunk, Lou, has had complaints about him from a next door neighbor. Her name is Betty and she is a sweet, 90 year old woman!!! Lou put the moves on HER too!! :eek: She's afraid to open the door whenever she sees him at the door.

I just don't like my life being at risk to TWO drunks who have a habit of coming THAT close to starting fires!

What I should've done (yeah, I know, shoulda, woulda, coulda) was call the fire department. But you know the saying about hindsight.

Davidp,

Thanks for caring so much!! I don't need to rant anymore. But I'll still PM you!! ;)

kimlovescats
05-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Oh Donna... I'm hoping this situation gets in control and SOON, for the safety of your babies and YOU!!!

(((HUGS)))