PDA

View Full Version : Inochi's egg hatched!

ILoveReptiles
05-25-2004, 08:14 PM
One of Inochi's eggs hatched, and the baby gecko is just adorable! It's right front foot appears to be malformed as it keeps folding under when the poor little thing walks, but it doesn't appear to slow her down at ALL. She's still spunky as ever, running around all over the cage.

Here's some pictures!!

New Gecko (shot 1) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/Egg_1a.jpg)
New Gecko (shot 2) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/Egg_1b.jpg)
New Gecko (shot 3) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/Egg_1c.jpg)
New Gecko (shot 4) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/Egg_1d.jpg)

Karen
05-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!! And how cute!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

manda_moo87
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
...:D AWWwww she's such a cutie!

ILoveReptiles
05-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Thank you! :D

zippy-kat
05-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Congrats! :)

What a cutie!

QueenScoopalot
05-25-2004, 09:20 PM
What gorgeous markings! Just one egg? Are there any reptile vets that could put a tiny splint on the baby's leg by chance, or is it something that will remedy itself in time? Maybe egg cramps lol?

ILoveReptiles
05-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
What gorgeous markings! Just one egg? Are there any reptile vets that could put a tiny splint on the baby's leg by chance, or is it something that will remedy itself in time? Maybe egg cramps lol?

I'll see if it straightens out - I just went up to check on her a bit ago and she was sleeping - the foot had righted itself. We'll see if it keeps bending back, but she's far too small and delicate for a splint. The splint would have be be like less than a quarter of an inch long... probably more like 1/8 inch...

And there were two but one was infertile.

There's still 4 more in the incubator... And all baby geckos have this color pattern - it changes as they get older though, so she won't be banded like this forever.

:)

Nomilynn
05-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Is there any way to get a picture with a coin next to her for size comparison? She looks big to me but I'm sure she's not!!

She's SO pretty! Very cute! Is she soft, or does she have that bumpy skin like on adult geckos?

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Aww, she is so cute. Congratulations on the new addition. :)

Logan
05-25-2004, 11:44 PM
What a darling baby!!!!! :) Congratulations!!! :D

CathyBogart
05-26-2004, 02:30 AM
What a CUTIE!! Congratulations!

lv4dogs
05-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Aaaww what a cutie! Congrats on the newbie!

I did not know that they were all born like that, even the albinos?
that is neat!

sirrahved
05-26-2004, 10:24 AM
How big is a baby gecko? Do you have a comparative picture?

ILoveReptiles
05-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Well the albinos have the bands, but they're a lot lighter, so you can tell they're albinos. They're more light yellow and pinkish white than yellow and black like this one.

Anyway, here are some more realistic size comparison shots of her sitting next to a dime.

Size Comparison (shot 1) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/sizecomp1.jpg)
Size Comparison (shot 2) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/sizecomp2.jpg)

ILoveReptiles
05-26-2004, 11:08 AM
it won't let me delete this one. I edited the first one but it posted it here as a quote. Is this a bug on the board?

Hmm... Please delete this one post. Thanks.

sirrahved
05-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh my, I couldn't tell she was that small! How cute and teeny tiny!

QueenScoopalot
05-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Looks like the tiny leggie has uncurled too. What a tiny little thing! What do they eat at this age? One cricket leg lol?:D

nsweezie
05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
How wonderful!
I had no idea she was so tiny, until I saw the dime picture.
Congradulations on your new addition!:)

DJFyrewolf36
05-27-2004, 04:35 PM
How wonderful for you! Soo cute and adorable, congrats! It IS really small. My leo was about 3 in when I got her, about how old are they when they get that size? I read somewhere that the incubation temp determines gender, is that true? It does look like the leg has righted itself, I hope it has!

Congrats again ILR :D

ziron
05-28-2004, 07:41 AM
wow I had no idea how small it was from the first pics cute lil monster

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-28-2004, 07:51 AM
SO SO SO SO CUUUUTEEEE!!!!

aghghgh

she just looks so sweet and cute!! i would love to see her zipping around her cage!!!!:D :D :D

Aspen and Misty
05-28-2004, 09:17 AM
ADORABLE! We need more pictures! How little! I to thought that it was bigger!

Congrats!
Ash

ramanth
05-28-2004, 01:57 PM
I see the baby Gecko is already spending your money. ;) :D

Very adorable! Do you have to handle them a lot to get them used to people?

ChrisH
05-29-2004, 08:50 AM
How beautiful! :D Congratulations! :D

EssTer
05-29-2004, 05:30 PM
awww, what a cute baby :)

slleipnir
05-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Awwwww, so cute :) Congrats :D

trayi52
05-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Congratulations, your a new mommy!!! Isn't it the cutest little tiny baby?!! OMG, it little head is smaller than a dime! I just cannot believe how teeny, tiny and cute that baby is! Oh, you just have to be overly excited over this new little one.

Again, congratulations, and thanks for letting us see pictures of that sweet looking little baby!

Willie:)

ILoveReptiles
05-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone,

I just got back from a 4 day jaunt in Boston, MA, and the moment I came home I rushed upstairs to check on the new gecko. She's doing extremely well, her foot has righted itself and she is now walking on it normally. Whatever it was it's gone now. Probably just cramping from being in the egg.

Anyway, she even appears to have gotten a little bit bigger in just the 4 days I was gone. (My parents made the hour trip up once to check on her while I was away, and my mother just adores her.)

As for what they eat - I have mini sized canned crickets that I cut up even smaller and doused with calcium powder for her. Incubation temperature does indeed determine gender, and I incubated her to be female. I won't know for sure until she's bigger. (I think about 3 weeks)...

Thanks all, for your congratulations. I got a suggestion for a name for her, which I like a lot. It's Amarie, and it means "Gracious under adversity" I think that's the name that will stick with her. I really like the sound of it.

Uabassoon
05-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Aww she's so cute!

ILoveReptiles
05-31-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
I see the baby Gecko is already spending your money. ;) :D

Very adorable! Do you have to handle them a lot to get them used to people?

Hi Ramanth,

I thought I'd answer this specifically in a new post. At this age, they're so timid and shy you really don't want to handle them at all. I've tried picking her up but she panicks, so I leave her be.

I'll wait till she gets older...

slleipnir
05-31-2004, 09:46 AM
Just curious if you got my PM ILR???

ILoveReptiles
05-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Hello Selleipnir,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but my PC was crashing last night and I had to blow out some of the dust. It's fine right now though. I tried to send you this in a PM but it was too long and wouldn't go.

To answer your questions, yes, Inochi means "life" in Japanese. Japanese names just appeal greatly to me for some reason. I'm considering getting my blackbelt in one of the subsidiary disciplines of Kung-Fu. I just love anything Japanese..

I'd always thought by default the females are more, but it could be that the male is a lot larger, and hence, costs more. 190.00 for a leopard gecko is a bit pricey though. Unless of course it's a Tremper Giant ...

I'm selling my baby geckos after they've been started for about a month or so for $50.00 each, so it's all relative.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the show your father saw. They were probably talking about Tokay Geckos if that's the case, because those are very nasty. They do not like being held, and will bite. Their bites are very powerful and can cause a lot of damage. They also vocalize quite a bit, their call sounding almost like a bark. I used to have one and the thing would actually growl and bark at me. It was extremely bad-tempered, and I named it accordingly: It's name was Leviathan.

Leopard geckos are different, they are relatively friendly when they get older, and seem to enjoy being handled. However the young geckos are quite shy and skittish and will run if you try to handle them too soon. This can be bad because they can bolt right off of your hand if you're standing up and fall. Or you could grab at them inadvertently and the tail could drop off. If you are getting a younger gecko, I'd start slowly, by putting your hand in the cage and just leaving it there for a few moments. Let the gecko come over and investigate you, don't reach for it.

And I don't recall ever saying you needed to kill the crickets, I just happen to feed mine canned crickets. It's a lot less of a hassle than live crickets if you ask me, and my geckos seem to really like them. They'll take them right off the end of a pair of tweezers if I offer them.

The thing that I said you should kill, by crushing their heads before feeding them to the geckos, were mealworms, as they have been known to chew their way out of the gecko's stomach after being eaten. I've never actually SEEN this happen, but I've heard stories.

I had thought that the food needed to be alive at one time too, but I tried these crickets in a can on a whim once, and my geckos just went nuts over them. I couldn't believe it, and I've been using them ever since.

I usually feed mine every other day (the adults), and I try to get the hatchling to eat every day. The canned crickets also come in a mini size, which is just about perfect for her. It's also important to dust the crickets with a bit of calcium and vitamin powder suppliment, for the best possible health of your gecko. If you feed live crickets, you also have to worry about gut-loading, which can be a real hassle. I usually lose half the crop of crickets before I've even wound up feeding them to the geckos, and boy do they smell. I do not know whether or not the canned crickets were gut-loaded, but the suppliment powder I use takes care of that issue. I also occasionally feed my adult geckos a pinky mouse. It's quite the mouthful, and only an adult gecko can handle it. They are good around the breeding season for an extra nutrition and calcium boost.

I hope I helped you. If you have any other questions please ask!

slleipnir
05-31-2004, 10:34 AM
To answer your questions, yes, Inochi means "life" in Japanese. Japanese names just appeal greatly to me for some reason. I'm considering getting my blackbelt in one of the subsidiary disciplines of Kung-Fu. I just love anything Japanese..

I'm very much into the whole Japanese thing as well. I think just about everything about it is amazing :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the info. It cleared a lot up for me. The one thing aobut her prices is it's canadian. So 60 bucks for a young one would be ok I think. That american site would have ended up to be like over 100 for me for like a 60 dollar one. :( I just need to go buy all its stuff which I think I'm going ot have trouble with but oh well, I got a list of tihngs I need. I posted a picture of the one I'm interested in in another thread I posted. It's a cutie :D

Thanks so much again :D

NoahsMommy
05-31-2004, 01:05 PM
How neat!!! First...she's really, really pretty! Second, I'm amazed you can determine sex with incubation....wow! That's so cool!

Thanks for sharing these pictures and this information. I don't know a whole lot about geckos and found this thread very interesting and informative. :)