PDA

View Full Version : Cat tricks?

slleipnir
05-25-2004, 06:46 PM
I was wondering if anyones cat can do any tricks? I was curious how you would train a cat...Any ideas?

sirrahbed
05-25-2004, 08:19 PM
hmmm...I think this l-o-n-g silence is a good answer:D

manda_moo87
05-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Well my old cat on the command "Hug" would walk inbetween my legs rubbing them, and also he could "Kiss" on command. :) He was such a smart boy.

As for my new cat, if you stick your hand abover her head she'll stand on her hind legs and bump her head on your hand...don't know if that really counts as a trick but...:D

As for training a cat...well that's a hard one lol...:) as most cats have minds of their own...lol

sirrahbed
05-25-2004, 08:30 PM
all I know is the only tricks at my house are done by the hoomans and the only training is done by the cats:rolleyes: We are, BTW, VERY well trained.

well.......I can shake the bag of Whiskas and yell *TREAT* and they all come running. does this qualify as a trick?

carole
05-25-2004, 08:40 PM
I am sure cats can be trained if you have the time and patience,I trained Ash to do floppies on demand, and he does do this, I say Floppies for Mama, and bang he goes down with a big thud, of course there are certain times he just won't perform lol.:D

CatMama78
05-25-2004, 08:47 PM
lol

Cats can learn to do tricks. I think you have to train them a different way than dogs though. I've never tried, I think my cats are too smart to admit they know what certain words mean :D

catnapper
05-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Well I TRIED to teach Pouncer a trick and it was a tremendous failure! The closest thing to training is he now comes running every time he hears me shake his treats.

The question should be asked: What tricks has your cat trained YOU to do? ;)

heinz57_79
05-25-2004, 09:44 PM
I had a cat who would 'fetch' and 'sit pretty' on command. But only when HE felt like it. It was more, "I think I want to be cute today... where's my human and the treats???" :rolleyes: Other than that, all my other cats just look at me like I'm insane when I try to teach them anything. I, on the other hand, am VERY well trained! :D

NoahsMommy
05-25-2004, 10:27 PM
You can train cats! I did a project in one of my psych classes on classical conditioning. I taught Noah and Noel to give me their paw when they wanted treats...they still do it when I have the treat bag out.

The trick is patience and a lot of postive reinforcement (ie: TREATS). ;)

Noah comes to KITTEN!!! He's the only one that will come when called. Micah loves to play fetch, but he kind of taught himself that one.

jazzcat
05-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Jazz will play fetch. I trained her to do that when she was about 5 months old. I used a wadded up ball of aluminum foil to start and then moved onto a furry rattle mouse. As she got older her favorite thing to fetch became twist ties from loaves of bread. There are probably 100 of them hiding around the house.

I tried to teach her to sit and was making progress but I wore out before her and finally gave up.

Kfamr
05-26-2004, 01:00 AM
My cousin taught her cat, Boo, to play dead. He can also do back flips and sit. She has him sit, then throws a mouse of his head and he flips to get it.

When he plays dead, she tell him to "wake up" and he comes out of his "deadness". :p

BCBlondie
05-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Lali and Ilio will sit for treats :D I haven't tried teaching them anything else yet though... lol

catlover4ever
05-26-2004, 08:10 AM
When Smokey was a kitten he used to fetch a bouncy super ball....he quickly outgrew that and now will just look at you like "are you kidding...you want me to bring the ball back to you...do I look like a dog?"

CatMama78
05-26-2004, 08:32 AM
As she got older her favorite thing to fetch became twist ties from loaves of bread. There are probably 100 of them hiding around the house.

Me Too!!! And also the milk tabs from gallon milk cartons. Every time I open a new gallon I rip that thing off and throw it on the floor.

catmandu
05-26-2004, 08:54 AM
JJJ3 knows the word treat , and no matter where he is , in the Hotel , if you say TREATS , then he will come , in a HURRY!

Cataholic
05-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Most of the time, most of my cats come when I call them.

Allie will jump into my arms on command (and, when I am NOT looking, too!).

Georgie will jump up on things when I tap my nails on the surface.

Dakky will kiss me on command.

Monte does nothing on command. Nothing. Unless you count attacking other cats?
:eek:

lizzielou742
05-26-2004, 01:41 PM
I taught Tito to sit for treats. This is how I did it. Get your cat's attention with a favorite treat (Whiska's Temptations are Tito's fave) but don't let him have it. Let him sniff it, then - keeping it close to his nose - gradually move your hand back towards his backside. Keep it close enough to him where he can sniff it, and he will tilt his head back to follow it, and eventually his butt will hit the ground. If you hold the treat up too high for him to smell it closely, he'll just stand up on his back legs for it, and that's not what you want (unless you want to teach him to stand up!) so keep it at his level. As SOON as his little fanny touches the ground, give him the treat and tell him, "Good boy!!!" He has to associate the butt hitting the floor with getting a treat. Try it a few times a day (you don't want to make him fat learning tricks!), and eventually your cat will sit every time you go anywhere near the treats. :D

To teach him to lay down, once's he's learned to sit, get him to sit for you and then sloooowly lower the treat towards the ground and then pull it away from him, all while saying, "Down." The nose should follow the treat and eventually he should lay all the way down. As soon as he does, give him the treat. Honestly, this one usually doesn't work that well with Tito, b/c he gets much too excited and just walks around meowing. :D Good luck though! Cats are easier to teach than most people think - there just has to be food involved or else your cat will just look at you like you're insane. ;)