PDA

View Full Version : I'm back from my surgery

Sirrahsim
05-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Dag nab it, I included too many smilies and when I clicked back it had eaten my whole message!!

Oh well here goes again,Thanks you SO much to everyone that was concerned or sent me well wishes!! my surgery went alright, they gave me Tylox5 (a narcotic mixed with Tylenol) to take this week and some huge ibuprofen tabs to take if I run out of the tylox. The extractions went all right with not too much pain, however one of the things that my doc said *could* happen *DID*. DUe to the positioning of one of my teeth, I suffered a little bit of nerve damage/bruising. It feels just like after you've had your teeth numbed at the dentist, only it didn't go away in just a few hours. It could last anywhere from a few days to a few months (hopefully the former). Right now my chin and lower lip is completely numb. I can pinch it as hard as I can and not feel a thing. I felt a teensy hint of tingling sensation when I ran my finger across the top edge of my lower lip and got excited about it. But after doing a little more research on the paresthesia I see that that doesn't mean the numbness is going away, it's just from the nerve being damaged. My husband has beena saint throughout this whole ordeal. He waits on me hand and foot and even arranged for a friend of mine to stop in to check on me a few times today while he is at work. It felt REALLY fun when I kissed him goodbye befroe work this morning because I have absolutely NO feeling in my lower lip/chin!! AT least it doesn't hurt, right? The local anesthetic that they used has worn off completely, and I'm not coherent enough to be annoyed by the sutures that they unexpectedly put into the lower two holes. They're the dissolving ones, but the little papery stuff that is under them keeps poking the inside of my cheek. I have to stay seated all day today with my head elevated, so chances are most of my day will be sitting right here in front my the computer or watching movies. Anywho, It's time to take nother Tylox, so i'll stop there. I'll put a few smilies here because I can't smile in real life.:D :D :o :) :D

catnapper
05-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling ok. I'm sorry to hear about the nerve damage! do you feel anything omn your tongue? How can you eat if you don't feel anything? I'd bite my tongue in half within the first two days! Oh well, thats a good way to go on a crash diet! :D Please get some rest and take care of yourself during your recovery time.

Sirrahsim
05-25-2004, 03:57 PM
My tongue is quite tingly, but it has enough feeling for me to move pudding around in my mouy. As for getting food into my mouth with a numb lower face: it's difficult, I've been holding a napkin under my mouth everytime I take a drink. I'm getting better about not spilling!

Laura's Babies
05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Glad things didn't go TO, TO bad for you and this will be just a memory for you by the time I get back.. Hope you heal well and get that feeling back ASAP! That is an experience you won't have to endure again, that one is behind you! In the past! Just a bad memory!

sirrahbed
05-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I talked to Missy on the phone for awhile and asked her PLEASE call the oral surgeon as soon as they open which should be by now (it is Wednesday morning in Japan) - she can barely talk with that numbness.:( Well, she is also loopy from the painkillers. I HATE that she will be alone all week during the days. Surely this will not be permanent damage. I am going to call her again. My specialty is worry!!

sirrahbed
05-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok I called her again and the stupid oral surgery clinic is CLOSED. I asked her to call the ER. They told her this is definitely not right and to go to the dental clinic so she is calling for somebody to give her a ride. Surely they will page that surgeon!! I know she is grown up but how can I not be MOM???:confused:

Sirrahsim
05-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I called the Oral surgery clinic and they were closed- so I called the ER at the number the oral surgeon gave me. The guy at the ER told me that I *need* to get in touch with the dental clinic, so I did and they told me to come in for sick call today at noon. My husband just called me and said that he has arranged a ride for me to get over there since I can't drive. This medicine has me very loopy and is making me all emotional so I'm gonna go lay down. thanks for your support!
Missy

jenluckenbach
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
So sorry to hear about your complication :(:( It is no fun when things go wrong, but prayers are on their way that recovery if full and prompt.

{{{HUGS}}}

Steffi N
05-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Missy, I hope you will recover soon from any nerve injury and will be well. I hope you can get a good night's sleep.
{{HUGS}}

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-25-2004, 07:14 PM
oh no .... sorry about your teeth / nerve trouble!

Keep us updated... and prayers on the way!

CatMama78
05-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems from your surgery :( . I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

kimlovescats
05-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Bless your heart, Missy! I'm glad at least that you are feeling "well enough" to be online with us though. I'm sure they told you, but as a "doting mom" I must tell you to be careful about chewing (if you are even eating yet) or just accidentally biting your lip!!! You can really hurt yourself and not even know it! I'm sure you know all of this and are being very careful, but you know (sirrahbed) we "moms" just wouldn't feel right if we didn't put in our two cents of advice!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Hang in there, sweetheart!!!:)

catnapper
05-25-2004, 08:19 PM
OH NO! I hope you can get it fixed fast! I feel so bad... I know how it feels to have the numbness for a few hours. I'll be thinking of you going to the ER. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Sirrahsim
05-25-2004, 11:00 PM
I just got back from sick call at the clinic. The doctor confimed that there was some bruising to those big long nerves, but because of my pattern of sensation or whatever he thinks I should get all feeling back within a week or so. It was odd to feel him poking me with one of those pointy tooth scraper thingies because one second I couldn't feel it at all and then the next OUCH! Apparently I'm supposed to be taking the Ibuprofen along with the tylox... no one bothered to tell my husband or I that though:mad: Also because of all of the trauma from the surgery, the left side of my tonsils are swollen. Fun stuff.. I have to go back in on tuesday morning to make sure that my stitches are absorbing properly. Doc said that as of now everything is healing well, but unless I feel 100% better I shouldn't go in to work on Friday either (yay!!) he even siad he'd write a note for my boss if I need him to.
anywho, I'm gonna go smash up an ibuprofen and mix it with some pudding so I can swallow it, i'll check in later:) thanks fro all of your support

NoahsMommy
05-25-2004, 11:12 PM
OUCH! You poor thing....I hate dentists and teeth stuff, so I really feel badly for you.

Hopefully your swelling and numbness will get better soon so you can feel a bit more normal.

Take care.

Kelly :)

krazyaboutkatz
05-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I sure hope you heal quickly and completely and don't have any more problems. Please take care.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Oh you poor thing!! Hope you start to feel better soon! (((HUGS)))

sirrahbed
05-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Missy if you were not across the ocean I would come whoop you! You didn't call me and I have to come to Pet Talk to find out how you are!!! ARGHH!!! You just wait until you have kids of your own!!! There! Now I feel better!!:mad:

:) Whew! Dad and I were worried! I know, I know, it's my specialty but it was scary!! I will e-mail Bryan and Chris - they were worried too. You are a BRAT!!

But I love you anyway:D

lynnestankard
05-26-2004, 05:31 AM
Dear (*Brat*) Missy!! You're going to have all us Mums on your case now!!:D :D
Sorry to hear about all you went through - sounded pretty scary. Glad you returned and at least found out you should be taking both medications at once! WHY don't they tell you these things - I reckon they should write it all down. When I'm in pain I can't take in instructions properly!
Hopefully by now you've slept - and maybe feel a little better for it!
Keeping fingers and paws crossed xxx

Lynne

catcrazylady
05-26-2004, 06:01 AM
Oh WOW! Poor Missy girl! This is terrible and I would hate to have that feeling, or lack of. How miserable even if there is no pain.
I hope all is well and back to normal real soon. You keep us posted and I'm sending {{{{{ BIG HUGS }}}}} from Kentucky!

catlover4ever
05-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Missy, I don't know how you did it and are doing it beacuse I would be flat passed out by now....just the thought of what you just went through makes me queesy. :rolleyes:

One the bright side...you have the best nurse....Boomer and your husband sounds like he is wonderful as well.

I'm sending {{{{{hugs}}}} your way. I hope you are feeling better soon. --- Meg

sirrahved
05-26-2004, 09:57 AM
So sorry Missy, just found this thread! Hope you're better soon!

ramanth
05-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Owie!! :(

Sorry to hear about the surgery complications. I hope you get feeling back to your lip and chin soon!

Vio&Juni
05-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear about the complications. Get well soon ;)

sirrahbed
05-26-2004, 08:05 PM
hey Missy! lots of people have checked on you!!! ((((HUGS)))