PDA

View Full Version : I almost got kicked out of the house today

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-25-2004, 03:09 PM
:p

I went to PetSmart during lunch and of course I couldn't leave without checking out the kitties up for adoption. There is one big cage on the bottom that usually holds 2 or 3 kitties. Well today, there was one gray one and one tuxie in there. As soon as I walked up, the gray one locked eyes with me. He was sooo active, jumping around, playing with a chain hanging outside the cage etc. But the whole time he was doing this, he just kept looking at me. Then he stopped for a minute, sat and looked at me in a "full frontal" and then leapt at the side of the cage and hung on! He was hanging from the side of the cage with 3 feet and pawing through the bars at me with the other! And the whole time he just stared at me! How could I not get the message?!!? :eek: :( :) He eventually jumped down and continued to terrorize the cage, the whole while looking at me. Other people came up to watch (the kitties were unusually active because the girl was in there cleaning the cages) and he never even glanced at them, just kept staring at me! I'm still wondering how I walked out of there without adopting him right on the spot! I don't know how old he was, because he looked adult size, but the note on his cage mentioned kitten food, so I guess he must have been at least 6 months old, but not more than a year. And the other cage mate - the tuxie - just sat calm as can be. The note said they wanted to adopt the two out together (for the "special" fee of $175.00 for the two of them :eek: ) and evidently tuxie figured it was up to gray kitty to find their new home. ;)

I know I'd be out on the streets looking for a new apartment had I brought these two home....and I guess that's why they're still there. :( ;) He was so adorable though that I'm sure he'll find a home real soon.

There were some other adorable ones too. A very sweet looking orangie with white feetsies, Kali an adorable calico, a sweet tortie who kept pawing through the cage bars looking for attention :( and two blackies in the same cage. They were the most calm of them all - oh, except for the big male tuxie. He had big jowels so he must have been older and recently neutered. I wonder what the "special" adoption fee would have been if I took them all to my new home. ;) :D

catnapper
05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
And you wlaked away?!?! :eek: I would have done the same thing too --- I like my comfy bed and cozy house too much. not to mention that I'd like to remain marired to my husband (for a little while longer anyway ;) )

Sounds as if you were chosen by a special kitty. That sounds exactly like my Tiny was when we found him at the SPCA. He did all sorts of acrobats with cute little paws poking through the bars. He was the sweetest -- most terrified -- kitty I've ever known. that boy was afraid of anything and everything, but he loved his meowmie a whole lot.

RICHARD
05-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
:p

I know I'd be out on the streets looking for a new apartment had I brought these two home....

Steal the motorhome......:)

CatMama78
05-25-2004, 03:24 PM
hmmm maybe it's a sign! Oh, but I do feel your pain. Whenever I go to PetsMart I always look at those kitties and I always think about adopting and then I feel guilt. Guilt cause I know adopting is not the wisest choice right now - I don't think the boys would take to kindly of it...not to mention financially i don't know how wise it would be - the day to day living wouldn't be too much but the vet costs every year, just never cease to amaze me....plus our place isn't big enough to hold more than the 2 we have (ok one more would probably fit just fine, lol). And I start to think about how it would make Ori and Wilber feel as they are jealous enough of each other. Then I feel guilt for NOT adopting cause they need homes and love, and we have a home, a loving one. I try to tell myself over and over that these cats get snatched up pretty quick, hopefully by good people....trying to ease my guilt.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Steal the motorhome......:)

Hmmm....hadn't thought of that one. ;)

ramanth
05-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Oh Debbie... I would of caved.. :)

kimlovescats
05-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Oh Debbie ... one of these days, you're GONNA do it!!!! Maybe not this time, but SOON!!!

New house? Are you building a new home or moving into another home? From your videos, it looks like your current home is beautiful!!!:)

Randi
05-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh Debbie, I know how you're drawn to Pet Smart and it must have been hard to leave these cuties behind. :( But you're torturing yourself - you have to find another place to spend your lunch hour! ;)

One day, you'll be able to get one or two more. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Oh Debbie ... one of these days, you're GONNA do it!!!! Maybe not this time, but SOON!!! Yes, someday....someday.... Although, after thinking about it, that little boy would have really livened up the house! We haven't had that sort of activity in the cats since I can't remember when - and I do believe I'd be on here giving Catnapper a run for her money posting about naw-tee kitties. ;) :D But what this really did was remind me that when it does come to be time, I want older kitties. I would really like to get a pair that about 8 or 9 years old (or older is fine too) that their owner had to go to an old age home or something like that, and these two have been together forever and the shelter really doesn't want to separate them...you know what I mean. I would dearly love a kitten, don't get me wrong, but they get adopted out so much easier than the older ones....and I'm so much more used to the older ones and all the non-activity. ;)

New house? Are you building a new home or moving into another home? From your videos, it looks like your current home is beautiful!!!:) Nooo...our next home will be the motorhome full-time. What I meant was my new home because Terry would have kicked me out. ;) :D

K & L
05-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh that's so hard isn't it! I sure hope they get a great and loving home soon!

kimlovescats
05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Aha!!! Well, I think your plan to adopt "older" kitties is a fabulous idea ... and when the day comes, you'll be ready and they will be some LUCKY Kitties!!!! :D

catcrazylady
05-25-2004, 05:54 PM
That is why I don't go near the cages in the store!!!! It's hard enough at the shelter but I can't stand seeing them in the store!!

Adopting older kitties would be so very wonderful of you!! There are two very lucky kitties somewhere in your future!

jazzcat
05-25-2004, 11:29 PM
I feel your pain. Today I decided to get my dad out for a little while so one stop was to the animal shelter to drop off newspapers. Of course I had to go peak in the cat room and I fell in love with many kittens. I counted at least 12 and there were probably more. It just breaks my heart to see so many tiny eyes staring at me through those bars.

I called hubby at work and asked if I could have a kitten. I knew the answer before I called but I had to ask anyway - you never know. Maybe someday - I'm still holding out hope for number 4 one day soon.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-26-2004, 01:42 AM
It is SOOOOO hard to resist, isn't it???

I really loved and appreciated your comments about older cats - as much as I love kittens and their cuteness, I have promised myself that IF / WHEN I get another cat it will be one of the "less adoptable"ones.

Vermontcat
05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Wow! You and I are so much alike!
I was at Petsmart yesterday too, just to get some food and litter for the gerbils but I had to check out the kitties there too!
I looked at a beautiful black kitty with big golden eyes and another one that looked like an Abby but with some tiger stripes on her legs.
Here is the girl who caught my eye.
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/VT06/VT06.2895838-1-pn.jpg
Here is a link to her page at Petfinder.
Ayla (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&SessionID=40b4a2a6573e6c82-app5&pet=2895838&display=&adTarget=468catgeneral&preview=0&row=50&tmpl=&stat=)
I too have been thinking of getting an older cat rather than a kitten when the time comes.
I think it would be easier to convince my husband to get a calmer, older cat rather than a hyper young kitten.
Your idea of getting a bonded pair though makes me think that maybe I could get two of them that way! ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
Your idea of getting a bonded pair though makes me think that maybe I could get two of them that way! ;)

How could hubby say no when they've been together forever? That's my theory. ;) :D And besides, Terry has set the limit at two, so you can bet that I will forever be at my limit. ;) :D

However, both you and I know that someday it will be nice, but hopefully that day doesn't come for a long long time yet. :( :) :D