PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who have Signifigant others...

DJFyrewolf36
05-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Does your SO get along with your pet? Is there a jelousy issue? I was reminded of this when I saw a funny ad from a newspaper. A lady advertised her husband and her cat were free to good home because the guy said either he goes or the cat goes!
Another funny story is when mum and dad first met he had a big ol Doberman to gaurd his home. When she first met mum she had a REALLY big cow but soon they became best friends. Dad lived in a crummy neighborhood at the time and the dog made her feel safe.

Share your stories!

catland
05-25-2004, 12:50 PM
We both adore our kitties. I don't think that we would have dated for very long if we weren't both cat people.

He's even allergic to cats but he still loves them.:D :D :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
My Husband, if asked, puts on a big Macho Man act and says he "puts up with the cats for my sake" but I think Ally has him wrapped round her little paw.........what do YOU think:rolleyes:
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/JulieBahrain/Holidays/th_DSCF4661.jpg

ramanth
05-25-2004, 01:32 PM
LOL Alley Cat's Mommy! That's a great picture.

When Andy and I started dating, he knew that my pets were my family. Kia just adores him and he dotes on her. He's allergic to cats, so he doesn't play with them very often, but Zam is worming her way into his heart. :D

Andy is well.... careful, around Logan because Logan can be very unpredictable.

DJFyrewolf36
05-25-2004, 01:33 PM
I think Aley has some say in the matter lol

stacwase
05-25-2004, 03:42 PM
DH has always had cats, never dogs. He tolerated Jake and was VERY unhappy when I decided to get Max. Now - Max is his best buddy and Jake's really growing on him! He couldn't believe I'd even consider a big dog like Max, and now he's hooked. He loves that dog as much as I do!

Miss Meow
05-25-2004, 05:17 PM
What can I say except Shane wants MORE cats :eek:

His list includes a grey and white cat (inspired by the Es), an orange cat, a Russian Blue, a black cat and a white cat. He can have all the cats he likes when we sort out room for more litter trays ;)

He's not as enamoured with dogs, but loves the two we have. I don't think we'll be adding to our barking population any time soon.

Karen
05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Paul helped me pick out Miss Hoppy! He's not jealous of her one bit, and agrees with her opinion of broccoli - it doesn't even belong on the plate!

Moose
05-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Josh loves the pups just as much as I do -- granted, I think he has a little bit more of a 'thing' for Zoey ... and I have a little bit more of a 'thing' for Moose [which is to be expected, since Moose was my first real dog].

I'm a little bit more 'babyish' with the dogs -- but Josh has his fair share of sappy, lovey-dovey moments. He definitely babies Zoey ... she's the daughter he has yet to have. ;) ...and Moose is the obnoxious little boy he is always annoyed with, but loves to pieces. ;):D

Granted, he's not the type of guy to dress his dogs up or treat them like his actual children -- but like I said, he does have his sweet moments with the pups when all four of us are cuddled up on the couch, or when we wake up in the morning with their heads on our stomachs. :)

carole
05-25-2004, 06:02 PM
My husband loves our cats too, he does admit to being a bit jealous of the attention and love they receive, but only in a joking manner, I don't think he is quite the animal lover as I am, As i would do anything for my cats, well almost,he is a little tight where money is concerned(but then we have to be) and does not like spending too much on the kitties, like toys etc, but I just do it anyway, and he never complains.

He chose Lexie, so he has more of a bond with her, but he still likes old Ash too., yes he is good to my cats.

Cookiebaker
05-25-2004, 06:08 PM
One of my first questions to Mark when we were going together was if he preferred dogs or cats or neither. He responded that he liked them both, preferred cats, but never really expected to have either. To which I responded :eek: :eek: :eek: But he has changed so much, and loves each of our animals very much.

Even though each new addition has been my initiative (with the exception of Malone), he has accepted each and every one. He scoops out Marigold's litter box half the time, and almost every time he cleans Willow's cage. He loves to nap with Marigold near him, and with the boys, he is a big Mush. (Don't tell him I said that!!!) :D He helps me to groom Willow in all the difficult spots (belly).

And he worries about them as much as I do when they are sick or not feeling well. He has helped me medicate Marigold every morning and evening for the last week, and didn't even get mad when Marigold peed all over us.

So, in answer to your query, my husband gets along with our pets, and no, there are no jealousy issues. :D

BCBlondie
05-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Sesh is usually scared of most people he doesn't know, but he warmed up pretty quickly to my ex. :) lol They got along well ^_^

CathyBogart
05-25-2004, 07:12 PM
My ex didn't like dogs, and that became a big thing to me towards the end, as I realized that I really can't spend therest of my life with someone who can't stand being around my dogs. :) My current "interest" (not my SO, at least not yet ;) *fingers crossed*) loves the dogs, and the snake, and the cat...and even the bugs. :)

Pam
05-25-2004, 07:15 PM
My hubby and I are pretty well matched when it comes to how we feel about pets. When we first got married we could hardly wait to get out of our apartment and into a house because we wanted dogs! He worries about them when they are sick just as much as I do and I often hear him having little conversations with them when I am in another room. We both had no cat experience whatsoever, so when Trevor arrived we both learned about cats together. He is very fond of the kitties but I think his preference will always be dogs.

neko1
05-25-2004, 07:15 PM
My hubby is definately a cat lover too. When he was a little boy, he raised a moma cat and her newborns. He's got his favorites of the house....can someone say Pumpkin?!....And Cookie he rescued from the outdoor life without me even asking. I've never ever be able to be with someone who didn't adore cats.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/pd7075d0536f40fd98952c2306ee88790/fca4c067.jpg

CatMama78
05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
My Boyfriend and I live together and it was his idea to get the cats first...BUT I am the one who dotes on them the most. While he truly loves them and shows it all the time, I think there might be a little bit of jealousy on his part cause I am SO protective and loving to them......

Cincy'sMom
05-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Ralph is just as into our dog as I am. We both wanted a dog, but knew it wasn't a good idea until we got married because he was travelling with work a lot at that time and I was in an apartment that didn't allow pets. We got Sadie less then 1 month after the wedding :) He wasn't sure about adding the third, but with a day or two it was obviuos Spo twas hi sboy and he still is a daddy's boy.

He worries about them constantly (sometimemore then I do)and is always ready to rush them to the vet for any reason, any time, day or night. He enjoys taking them on therapy visits, and this winter when we were doing Paws to Read at the librbary, he took Spot every week, even though he started out as a sub.

Fox-Gal
05-25-2004, 08:34 PM
I'll put it this way, before he moved in, I had 4 dogs, 2 cats and a couple of turkeys and peacocks. Now we have 7 dogs, 10 cats, Rabbits, Chinchilla, Iguans, ducks, chickens, goose, goats, turtle and 5 fish tanks. Total is a little over 100 pets now. :eek: :eek: So I'd say he gets along fine with animals. :D

But if you ask him, he'll say he's not a cat person. He says he puts up with them only because of me.

Yeah right!!! :rolleyes: He puts up with them so well. :D ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/pd38925b039f5dc55bbc41a2a6f9c5e7f/f97ca2e0.jpg

Cookiebaker
05-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Fox-gal, that is the SWEETEST picture!! Looks like you gotta KEEPER! ;)

cocker_luva
05-25-2004, 09:23 PM
my baby girl loves my boyfriend!!! she even knows when we are getting close to his house. :rolleyes: they are sooo cute together!!!

Lady's Human
05-25-2004, 09:43 PM
When my wife and I got married, we had three cats. The deal we had was that I could get a dog when we bought our house. Six months after we bought the house, I went to our local dog shelter and was picked out by Lady. I didn't pick her, I swear she picked me. It took 3 days instead of the usual week for the shelter to agree wth lady that I was her human. She was a holy terror her first 2 weeks in the house, and my wife wasn't sure if she wanted to keep her. Now that we've al adjusted to each other, and I'm away at FT Drum, my wife doesn't know what she'd do without the fool pup. HOWEVER.......she still gets a little irritated that Lady makes me play with her as soon as I walk in the door when I get a pass, (I'm usually gone for a month or more between visits) and every time we sit together on the couch we have either a case of jealousy or a wedge, as Lady tries to remind Jen who really owns me.

trayi52
05-25-2004, 10:45 PM
My husbands says if it was up to him, we would have no dogs or cats. He love Charlie, my bird and he loves Baby the ferret. He kind of likes Stubby, but he says that is because Stubby will go outside. He can't stand for a cat to get on the countertops or the table in the kitchen. So I have to watch about the cats getting up there, Stubby don't get on the table or countertops, but Grover love taking walks up there, LOL, so when I hear him coming into the kitchen I grab her so he don't see her there. He hates it when she licks me on my face and sometimes she will lick my nose and my lips. He sits over theres and make faces like its just the nastiest thing he ever seen. He don't get mad, but well he don't share my love for my cats and dogs.

I think he does get jealous because Buffy and Grover sleeps with me. He knows though that my dogs and cats are my life, my god, my life would be nothing without having them in my life. If they go, I go, even if I had to live in a shack! So that is that!

I am 51 years old, if I am ever widowed, there will be no more men in my life. But there will be more cats and dogs!! :D LOL, I will be married for 34 years next month on June 27th, so I have to keep the hubby, I have to many years invested in this man! Besides I know how to yell to!!;) Well that is when I don't have laryngitis. LOL, my husband knows how much I love my dogs and cats.

Okay, I am now done rambling!

Willie

:)

Logan
05-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Paul helped me pick out Miss Hoppy! He's not jealous of her one bit, and agrees with her opinion of broccoli - it doesn't even belong on the plate!

I agree with Paul and Miss Hoppy about that broccoli too!!!! YUCK!!!!!! :eek:

Logan
05-25-2004, 11:12 PM
As for the "question", my husband of almost 1 1/2 years knew that he found a woman who loved animals. At the time, I was fostering one dog, had 2 of my own, 2 cats and 2 birds. No way was anyone going anywhere! Of course, he added Murphy, the Lab, to the mix, and what a blessing! The cats have been the hardest for him to learn to love, but he does love them (even if he won't admit it). I dare not ask for another cat at this point in time as our nest is full. But I figure that since he let me keep Zipper last fall, when we fostered him (I agreed to it when hubby was out of town), then I'm doing pretty well!!!! :D

Fox-Gal
05-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
He hates it when she licks me on my face and sometimes she will lick my nose and my lips. He sits over theres and make faces like its just the nastiest thing he ever seen. He don't get mad,
Willie

:)

Paul does the same thing, makes a face, but he still loves them. He just a really big clean freak and he things is just unhealthy and dirty to let the pets lick my face, get on the kitchen table/counter or heaven forbid I touch their butts when picking them up. But I know what it's like to get that "LOOK". I hate that look!!!!

My mother always told me you have to take the good with the bad as long as the good out weights the bad. So far he is 95% good, 5% bad. :D So he can stay. LOL

Kfamr
05-26-2004, 12:42 AM
He's not my SO... but I have to say, by looking at my father you'd never think that you'd see him talk baby to a dog like he does Simba. Him and I 'fight' over whos dog Simba is, we also 'fight' with my mom over him as well. In reality, and they'll admit to it, BOTH of our pups are mine.

Sevens
05-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Brian was not quite as comfortable as me when we first got Bailey. He hadn't had a cat since college and hadn't had a dog in I don't know how long.

Eventually he warmed up to her, would cuddle with her and talk baby talk to her when he thought I wasn't listening.

When we got Guinness, he totally took it to the next level. He and Guinness have bonded so much. I think it's partly due to the fact that Bailey is so stubborn and intelligent and loud sometimes, whereas Guinness is so quiet and intelligent and well behaved. Brian always has a spot on his lap for Guinness, is VERY protective of Guinness, and is now almost as quick as I am to call the vet for the least little thing.

He still cuddles with them both, although mostly with Guinness. And he still lets Bailey lick the back of his head. She'll start licking, he'll yell out "Hey!", but then he lets her do it cause it makes her happy. If he was really that grossed out, he'd move. :)

Actually, we are thinking that after we move into the new house on Friday, we might get a 3rd dog.:D

sirrahbed
05-26-2004, 06:37 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/pd7075d0536f40fd98952c2306ee88790/fca4c067.jpg
THIS is my favorite picture from Kim's perfect man site!! I absolutely LOVE it and smile everytime I look at that site and never made the connection to you, Neko!!!!! Pumpkin obviously adores daddy and daddy adores his Pumpkin!!!

My hubby loves the kitties also but isn't quite as quirky as I am. Like Willie said - he gets all grossed out when I let the kitties eat from my cereal bowl and stuff like that. I don't care. He says they lick their butt! And I am like well they lick their fur too!!! What's the dif?

But, Emily is his "Princess" and he adores her. If daddy is around, she treats ME like a piece of furniture! When I was having to give her medicine for an URI, he would quickly "rescue" her and "awwww-what is bad Meowmie doing to my little girl???" and she would GLARE at me over his shoulder!!!

He does not want anymore kitties but note that HE is the one who always wants to "look" at the kitties when we go to PetsMart:eek:

Pam
05-26-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by trayi52

I am 51 years old, if I am ever widowed, there will be no more men in my life. But there will be more cats and dogs!! :D LOL, I will be married for 34 years next month on June 27th, so I have to keep the hubby, I have to many years invested in this man! Besides I know how to yell to!!;) Well that is when I don't have laryngitis. LOL, my husband knows how much I love my dogs and cats.

Willie you and I have a lot in common! For me it will be 38 years on November 11th and I am 57 years old. I feel exactly as you do. No more men in my life should the unthinkable ever happen, but there will always be cats and dogs! LOL!

Fox-Gal, that's about the cutest picture I ever did see! ;)

Randi
05-26-2004, 08:29 AM
I've always loved cats, but John was the one who wanted to take Fister up from our yard - John has lived with cats all his life. :) I didn't really know what it was like to live with a cat indoors and was a little hesitant to begin with, also because it would interfere with our travel plans several times a year - but taking him up was a real good decision!! I only wish we had taken him up about 6 months before we did. We couldn't do with out him now! :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
He just a really big clean freak and he things is just unhealthy and dirty to let the pets lick my face, get on the kitchen table/counter or heaven forbid I touch their butts when picking them up. But I know what it's like to get that "LOOK". I hate that look!!!!

OMG Warren is the same!!! He FREAKS when the cats lie on the Kitchen table, and I quickly move Ally off the counter when I hear him coming. And if he catches me "cupping"thier little cutie-patooties when holding them he has a FIT!!

(We won't even mention wiping Connor's Klingons/Dingleberries)

(He never changed nappies when the kids were small either - so it's NOT an animal thing - he's just a big WOOSEY!!):rolleyes: