PDA

View Full Version : Angus's dribbling problem

anna_66
05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
It seems over the last few weeks Angus has started dribbling (quite a bit).
It seems like it's usually whenever he gets up from laying down.

I've heard a couple of people who've had this problem with older dogs and I just wanted to know what type of meds you all are giving your dogs. That way when I talk to the vet (I'm making him an apt. tomorrow) I can ask her about them.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice:)

Pam
05-24-2004, 09:32 PM
I don't know about any meds but I do know that when Amy was noticing that Smokey was becoming incontinent her mom bought him some doggy diapers. I didn't even know they made such a thing. Good luck at the vet's. We'll be thinking of you and sweet Angus! Hope she has some good suggestions. :)

DogLover9501
05-24-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't have any suggestions, I just want you to tell me/us how everything goes at the vet, and how he is doing, I think about him daily :) ;)

Kfamr
05-25-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't have any advice either, but I wish you and that handsome Angus boy best of luck with this problem! Hopefully there's a solution somewhere. Give Angus a few hugs for me.. (Or i'll just do it myself if you end up bringing him to the meeting.):D

anna_66
05-25-2004, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys. I tell you I would hate for Angus to have to wear a diaper, I think he would feel ashamed:o

I remember reading about Logan's Murphy and she had said this:

Her wetting problems have stopped completely with the addition of the new medication.

I guess that's what I'm talking about meds wise.

delidog
05-25-2004, 07:16 AM
I'm afraid I also do not have great words of wisdom,But I wanted to offer Dear Angus a Big Hug!!!!!
And Please let us know how he does at the Vets!!!!!

KYS
05-25-2004, 08:30 AM
I also do not know about any meds.
I had the same problem with one of my
senior dogs years ago.
If their are meds, I hope they work, other
wise you will be changing pads often.

Hugs to Angus.

Fallon
05-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Hmm seems nobody has had any advice so far.. I wish I did but I don't either. I'm sorry but I just wanted to let you know that I hope you figure out which medicine is the right to use and his problem gets better. I'm sure it's nothing serious and your vet could probably tell you about several different options..

Kona & Oreo's mom
05-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Poor Angus! Oreo has this problem. The two medications that she's tried are diethylstilbestrol and phenylpropanolamine. I *think* that the DES is a estrogen-like hormone, so I'm not sure if it's just for girls. I'd ask your vet about those, and good luck!

lv4dogs
05-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I used to work at a vets & we would prescribe phenypropanolamine, it seemed to work fairly well in most cases.
Good luck!

cloverfdx
05-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I dont know anything about the meds. But wanted to wish both you and Angus luck at the vets. :)

Cinder & Smoke
05-25-2004, 11:41 AM
{{{HUGS}}} to Angus & Anna!

If Zippy doesn't see this - send her a PM -
Her Family Dawg - Sara, da Boxer has had this problem.

Hopefully there is a medication to solve the problem.
Another out is to consider the "Belly Band" if the amount of
leakage isn't excessive.
The "Belly Band" is often used to reduce voluntary "marking" behavior;
but can also be used to reduce the mess from accidents.

Do a http://www,google.com search for "Belly Band" -
there are a lot of web sites featuring them.

And the "belly band" is not as obtrusive as a doggy diaper.

/s/ Phred

Miss Meow
05-25-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't have any advice, but I hope your vet can help Angus out. Big hugs to you both :)

lizbud
05-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Anna,

When I first read "dribbling", I thought you meant Angus was slobbering.:o I'm kinda dense sometimes.:o

Sorry I can't help with med. advise, but I hope Zippy or Logan
can tell you what they know about the problem. I agree that
beautiful boy Angus should never feel embarrassed. :)

dukedogsmom
05-25-2004, 08:27 PM
I thought of slobbering, too. Poor Angus. I hope you can find a solution that will be helpful and not degrading to one of our favorite boys! Give him a hug for me.

zippy-kat
05-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Sara's dribbling is somehow caused from her spay (I can't remember how the vet explained it). I mention that because I honestly don't know if these are female/estrogen-type drugs or ?? Like K&O's mom said, I think the DES one is.

Sara's on a combination of diethylstilbestrol (1x a week) and pronin plus (phenylpropanolamine - 2x a day). I really don't know much about the meds other than the diethylstilbestrol is one that they DON'T want to up the dosage on because it can cause anemia and something else. I can say that since she's been on the meds, her dribbling has COMPLETELY cleared up. However, if we miss a pill, she dribbles so it's pretty imperative to give it to her on time.

I don't feel like I was much help. :(
If you have other questions, ask and I'll make my mom answer! lol

Logan
05-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Murphy is also on the DES, plus the Proin, Anna. But I'm thinking those are hormones for the females. I know nothing about a male with that problem. I guess the best thing you can do at this point is to talk with your vet and see what he/she has to say. Surely there is something for male incontinence like there is for females. For all I know, it might be the same thing, but I simply don't know. :confused:

Good luck!! :)

joycenalex
05-26-2004, 05:50 AM
angel duke was on PPA, phenylpropanalmine. it worked wonders and is fairly inexpensive. you start with a small dose 25 mgs and work up if needed. your vet will also want to make sure there is no underlying bladder or kidney problems too. hope this helps

Kona & Oreo's mom
05-27-2004, 09:51 AM
How's Angus doing? I was just thinking about him and wondering what his vet said. Has he had his appointment yet?

RobiLee
05-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi, just wondering about Angus also. Have you guys made it to the vet? Keep us posted.

Robin

DogLover9501
05-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Any news on Angus??

captain
05-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Hugs to you Anna and to the darling Angus ........ let us know what the vet says ....

Cinder & Smoke
05-31-2004, 12:03 AM
:D

Angus ~

Was feeling well enough to ~
ATTEND the Findlay Bark Park Gathurin on Memorial Day Sunday!

;) :D

Annnnnd...
Contrary to Previous Reports :p -
The Dear Ole Boy Got Along JUST *FINE*
with all his Furry Companions!!

(Even *shared* HIS picnic table with Cinder!!) ;)

Freckles
05-31-2004, 09:55 AM
From another thread...

"I got a voice mail from Anna and she is having COMPUTER PROBLEMS!
She won't be online until AT LEAST Wednesday of Next week, but WILL BE at the Meeting on Sunday.
She wanted me to tell everyone and I thought this was a good place to start!"

So now we know why Anna's been quiet.:)

anna_66
06-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by joycenalex
angel duke was on PPA, phenylpropanalmine. it worked wonders and is fairly inexpensive. you start with a small dose 25 mgs and work up if needed. your vet will also want to make sure there is no underlying bladder or kidney problems too. hope this helps
Well needless to say I'm finally back. Sorry to keep you all in the dark about Angus.
What joycenalex posted is exactly what they ended up giving him after making sure he had no infections of any kind.
As of now it seems to be working (just a dribble every now and then.
All of his test came out fine, he's healthy as a horse!
Needless to say he was able to go to the Findlay dog park on the 30th and was on his best behavior:D I was so amazed at the turn around in his attitude towards other dogs. He's definately mellowing in his old age;)
But as of now my almost 13 yr old is playing like he's half that age!
Thanks for being so concerned everyone and thank you Phred & Freckles for letting everyone know all was well with my big boy!

DogLover9501
06-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Im glad all was well! I love Angus, in case you don't already know :p

Give him hugs and kisses from me, and one for the girls, too ;)

captain
06-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Angus,

So glad the big old whitecoats gave you the medicine you need!!!

HUGS to you .......................