PDA

View Full Version : Had a new litter of ratty babies born just a little bit ago... :0)

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 05:20 PM
My Russian blue dumbo berkshire girl Akemi gave birth today at 12:00 to a little of 9 rittens. The first baby I had to tug out of her as she was having a hard time but the ones after just popped out and she did fine after that. One baby has a big bruise on his face but it should go away in a few days. I took pictures of the birth but only kept the best two. She is nursing them now, and being a great mother. I already have a favorite, and it's a little girl. :) All babies are dumbo with pink and black eyes. I will know colors in about a week but darkening of the skin should appear by tomorrow night, and maybe even by the morning if I am lucky. This is my first litter in a few months so it was a little nerve wracking but I have sense calmed down and am enjoying being a grandma once again. :)

I will post photos later on today of the mom and babies, but for now, here is a couple of the mom, Akemi.

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/Akemibell.jpg

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/Akemi.jpg

Kfamr
05-24-2004, 05:23 PM
When are you going to send two my way? :p :p

I love the name Akemi, btw.

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
When are you going to send two my way? :p :p

I love the name Akemi, btw.

I'd be more than happy to bring you two if I go to Florida. We are actually thinking of going there next year to take Dylan to Disneyworld, or maybe even this fall if things go my way! :D I will most definitely have babies in the fall too. You know, you can always take a trip to Oregon. ;)

I am glad you like the name. It's Japanese. I got it from here:

http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/jap.html

She may not be bright but she is beautiful. :) All of the babies are going to have Japanese themed names, hehe. So start racking your brain for Japanese stuff! :D

popcornbird
05-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Awww, I love her collar! It looks so cute on her! :D

Congrats on the babies!!

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks!

PCB, I had a dream the other night that you got two new tiels LOL! :D

popcornbird
05-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Thanks!

PCB, I had a dream the other night that you got two new tiels LOL! :D

:eek: Are you SERIOUS?!?!

*Prays Luckies4me's dream comes true* He he he

You actually see *me* in your dream? :eek: :o

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
:eek: Are you SERIOUS?!?!

*Prays Luckies4me's dream comes true* He he he

You actually see *me* in your dream? :eek: :o

No, I didn't see you, but I saw a post from you here on Pet Talk with photos of the new birdies. You had some really good eagle pics. The topic of the thread was "Two new birdy additions" or something like that. One was a lutino, and the other was a pearl I think, hehe. :p

popcornbird
05-24-2004, 06:02 PM
No, I didn't see you, but I saw a post from you here on Pet Talk with photos of the new birdies. You had some really good eagle pics. The topic of the thread was "Two new birdy additions" or something like that. One was a lutino, and the other was a pearl I think, hehe. :p

But I already have a lutino and a pearl! :p You probably just saw Popcorn and Muffin, but your dream twisted up the facts. :D Or maybe your dream took you 4 1/2 years in the past to the day when I brought Popcorn and Muffin home. :D

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 06:06 PM
But I already have a lutino and a pearl! :p You probably just saw Popcorn and Muffin, but your dream twisted up the facts. :D Or maybe your dream took you 4 1/2 years in the past to the day when I brought Popcorn and Muffin home. :D

No no LOL, these were two very different birds, and there were photos of all four of them together. hehe So just except the fact you are getting two more birds! :D Are you holding out on us?

popcornbird
05-24-2004, 06:09 PM
No no LOL, these were two very different birds, and there were photos of all four of them together. hehe So just except the fact you are getting two more birds! :D Are you holding out on us?

I actually asked my mom if I could get another bird the other day. She said *We're not ready to add another pet to the family right now.* :( So maybe your dream took place two years in the future. ;)

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 06:13 PM
I actually asked my mom if I could get another bird the other day. She said *We're not ready to add another pet to the family right now.* :( So maybe your dream took place two years in the future. ;)

Maybe she just said that because she's going to surprise you! :D

green_chameleon_girl
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
:eek: :eek: :D :D AKEMI IS SOOO CUTE!:D :D It makes me want a rattie! Congrats on the litter!! **hugs** keep us updated on the lil munchkins!

luckies4me
05-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks! :D I have baby pics. I will post them shortly. :)

Kfamr
05-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Get to posting those pictures! :p

NoahsMommy
05-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Get to posting those pictures! :p
What she said!! I want to see baby ratties! :)

lv4dogs
05-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Cass,
just wondering what brand of collars do you use for your ratties?
I was thinking of trying them so they can run around more of my house, instead of just their room.
Do they really stay on?

lv4dogs
05-25-2004, 11:05 AM
very cute mamma & congRATS on the ratlets

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Cass,
just wondering what brand of collars do you use for your ratties?
I was thinking of trying them so they can run around more of my house, instead of just their room.
Do they really stay on?

I actually make them myself. :) If you want a few I sell them for about $5. I would just need you to measure the neck of your rats, and tell me what colors you want and whether or not you want a bell. I use them during free roam time so I can hear the bell jingle and know where they are. :)

I have photos cropped and resized, just have to upload them. :D

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Oh and I make leashes too!

DJFyrewolf36
05-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Congrats on the babies!!! I'm sure they will be adorable if the mother is any indication, what a cute ratty! I look forward to more pix!!!

You mentioned you make collars and leashes? Do you sell them on your site or what cause I have been TRYING to find a way to make sure my rat gets enough exercise but stays out of trouble *she is an expert at hiding* I enjoy having her out but I get scared that I'll loose her somewhere.

Thanx!

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Congrats on the babies!!! I'm sure they will be adorable if the mother is any indication, what a cute ratty! I look forward to more pix!!!

You mentioned you make collars and leashes? Do you sell them on your site or what cause I have been TRYING to find a way to make sure my rat gets enough exercise but stays out of trouble *she is an expert at hiding* I enjoy having her out but I get scared that I'll loose her somewhere.

Thanx!

Thanks! :D

Basically I just sell them to anyone who asks, and friends. I am going to put a page up on my site to sell them and a few other ratty things, but haven't had the time to do it yet.

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 12:07 PM
OK, just in case people do not want to see ratty blood covered babies I am going to post the birth photos as attachments, and the "cute" photos in the thread. Hope you all don't mind.

:)

She had a very difficult labor and delivery. The first pup I had to take out myself, as she would not push and the baby had turned blue. If I hadn't have pulled him out the others would have died and she may have ended up in the ER. Luckily after a little tugging on my part it helped her start pushing and the baby came out. He was fine for a little bit but we lost him last night. :( So now I only have 8 babies. I have a HUGE waiting list, so I am going to have to breed another litter just to supply my demand. I have a friend who is moving back home and she wants two more females before she leaves. I am not going to have enough babies to go around LOL! Uh oh, the ducks are crying again. We seem to have been "adopted" by ducks and geese and I have no idea where they came from! :eek:

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 12:14 PM
As you can see she also lost a lot of blood. Not life threatening but enough that I obsessed over her all day yesterday. :p

One baby has a big bruise on his face from momma pulling him out. You can see him on the left...

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 12:18 PM
And for those who are curious, this is what a rat placenta looks like. :rolleyes:

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 12:22 PM
OK, now for the cute photos. :D

Mom butt cleaning, hehe
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/buttcleaning.jpg

All the babies
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/Akemisbabies.jpg

I have four boys and four girls. All are rex coated. Two black eyes and the rest ruby/pink. Most likely they will be siamese and if I am lucky a nice eared Russian blue berk. :D

boys
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/boys.jpg

girls
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/girls.jpg

Babies in the nest
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/babiesinnest.jpg

When I grows up my momma says I'mz gonna havs lots of curlies furz!
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/Rats/curlywhiskers.jpg

:D

I'll be taking pics every day and will most likely take more tonight.

My Peanuts
05-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Oh wow! Congratulations grandma! I had gerbils when I was young and we always had litters. I don't ever remember seeing that much blood from my gerbil momma. I'm glad everything went well. I look forward to seeing more pics. :)

manda_moo87
05-25-2004, 05:43 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWW....how sweet:) What beautiful little babies! I bet you're excited! I'm looking forward to watching them grow up! :D

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone. :D I will try take more photos later on today. I can already see some pigmentation. I sooo want a blazed berkshire!

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-25-2004, 07:40 PM
awwwwwwwwww

congratulations mommy !!

the babies are so cute!!

will the bruise on the one babies face get better.. poor little ratty!:confused:

guster girl
05-25-2004, 08:39 PM
they're beautiful! I wish I could get a couple! Thanks for posting all of the pics.

luckies4me
05-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
awwwwwwwwww

congratulations mommy !!

the babies are so cute!!

will the bruise on the one babies face get better.. poor little ratty!:confused:

Yep it will probably be gone by tomorrow. :)