PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Bath Time Advice

RobiLee
05-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Alden gave the girls a bath today. We are really needing some good advice to help out with Tori. This girl does not want to take a bath. Alden says it is awful! I guess she really flips out and tries to get away and is extremely vocal. Very loud whining and basically screaming. I guess Alden had to hold her by her head for a long time just to get her to calm down and then Brandon bathed her. Anybody have any advice on how to get her to start likeing bath time?

Robin :)

dukedogsmom
05-24-2004, 04:05 PM
I don't have any advice but I have learned through this board that Huskies are very vocal. So, that part is normal. I thought all Huskies loved the water? Maybe you could get a kiddie pool and let her play in that?

Glacier
05-24-2004, 04:14 PM
When Muskwa was a puppy, my husband just put on a bathing suit and got in the shower with him. It was the only way to get Muskwa to take a bath without listening to the "husky death scream"! Yanno, the one that makes the neighbor's call animal control because you must be beating that dog for it to make that sound!:eek: (yes, that actually happened to us)

RobiLee
05-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
When Muskwa was a puppy, my husband just put on a bathing suit and got in the shower with him. It was the only way to get Muskwa to take a bath without listening to the "husky death scream"! Yanno, the one that makes the neighbor's call animal control because you must be beating that dog for it to make that sound!:eek: (yes, that actually happened to us)

OMG...Alden says the "husky death scream" is exactly how to describe it and he can't believe someone didn't come knocking on our door to see what the heck was going on.

Geesh, I hope we get her use to bath time really quick!

Robin :)

Cinder & Smoke
05-24-2004, 04:28 PM
:rolleyes:

Been There, Dun THIS >>>

What we posted a lil while ago on >>>
"Smelly - Smelly - Smelly" (about a Horse Pooh *Problem*) :p (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&postid=711649)

Horse Pooh!?? :eek: :(

Horse Pooh STINK does NOT disappear by itself very quickly!

An :eek: *bath* is certainly in order...
Be sure to use DOGGY Shampoo ~
(several soap - soak - rub - rinse cycles may be required! :p

She doesn't *like* baths? Imagine that! :p

Use the old Horse Trick - Cross Tie her to keep her
reasonably under controll for the bathing process.

Dog stands between Two Fixed Objects...
with a leash or rope tied to each Object (at or slightly HIGHER
than the Dog's standing height),
and Both leashes / ropes snapped onto Fido's Collar.
"Adjust" the tension of the tie ropes to keep her head at
"standing height" - she can still *sit* - but not much else!
Note: Her collar must be *tight* enough that she cannot
"slip out" backwards.

Use "comfortably" warm water - a gentle flow from a garden hose
usually works well. Start applying the water to her legs and
feet first, with LOTS of soothing words!
Work up to her shoulders and back slowly; and
leave her HEAD *dry* for a while... don't rush it!

The Cross-Ties will keep her HEAD in one place;
but you'll need a hand to keep the *rear-end* under control!
And... plan to get a bit *damp* yourself!
Amazing how well a dog can :eek: *SHAKE* without
being able to move its head!

*PRAISE* (and treat) for good behavior;
back off and *ignore* if she gets rowdy.

A good Tutorial for teaching a Horse to "TIE" is here >>>
"Teach your Horse to Tie" (http://www.saddleshop.com/sentinel/articles/ground_tie.htm)
Most of it also applies to Tying a Dog.

Be sure to *Rinse WELL* after the final Soaping!

And Robin ~
For very "Vocal" dawggies who want the whole WORLD
to get the message >>>
"But Mom / Dad - I really do NOT want to take a Baff rite now...
YIPP! - YAPP! - HOWWWWWEL! - SCREAM!!!"...

... I might suggest you *Do the Deed* in plain sight of
all the Neighbors - no sense in having one of them report to
the Cops that "Someone's KILLIN a Dawg behind their house!"

:p

/s/ Phred

Kfamr
05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't have any advice, but I hope everything works out for you guys!

I think I've been bless with dogs who hate baths, but also tolerate them very well. :)

stacwase
05-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Can you just get in the empty tub with her and cuddle in there for a while? Cuddle and feed her little treats?

Next time you could get in with her and just let the faucet drip, let her lick it etc.

Then you could put a bathing suit on and get in with her and actually turn the faucet on, but not stop up the tub.

Then get in with her and fill the tub.

Then get in with her and fill the tub, and get out leaving her in there?

A lot of work but better than the "husky death scream"?!

wolf_Q
05-24-2004, 06:02 PM
The "husky death scream" lmao.......Oh yeah I KNOW THAT ONE!! Huskies and malamutes are the most vocal dogs when it comes to grooming!

Nebo is actually really quiet, and he behaves great for baths. I've only ever bathed him at work. I really can't imagine bathing him in the tub...all that fur! It's really hard to fully rinse out shampoo from a husky coat too.

Maybe you could try taking her to a groomer to be bathed and have them tell you how she does...sometimes (not always) dogs behave better with baths at the groomers. I bathed a bull mastiff on Saturday...the guy asked me out he did...I said he did fine (and he did!). He said he couldn't believe that because when they bathed him at home it took 4 people to hold him!

anna_66
05-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Well normally I take Roxey to the groomers (totally worth the money:D).

But if she really need a bath in between I put her in the shower and get in with her:rolleyes: Needless to say she totally hates it, but I have shower doors and after she finds out she can't get through them she calms down.

Good luck on the next bath!

heinz57_79
05-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Woo hoo! At last something I know something about! :D I was a groomer for several years, and had tons of dogs who didn't like the water, shampoo or blowers.

Make sure the water isn't too hot or too cold. For bathing at home, the best thing to do is to get one of the shower heads available at PetsMart or Petco. Start at the back end, all the while keep talking to her, petting her, and if necessary give treats. Lots and lots of treats! :)

Kind of work in a massage while you're bathing her. If you have to, put on swimmers and get in the tub with her. For a while, try to avoid getting water around her head. That can freak a dog out. We had tons of 'screamers' while I was grooming. Generally, that's all it is... screaming. Keep an eye out for signs of stress tho. Unsteady, eyes bloodshot, irregular panting, wheezing, and loosened bowels or bladder. (Gross I know, but a big sign of stress.) If any of that happens, cease bathing immediately!

But basically, just take your time with her. Most will come around eventually. Good luck! :D