PDA

View Full Version : Poor Pacer

Glacier
05-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Apparently it was pick on Pacer day today in the dog run. A couple hours ago there was a huge fight out there. Pacer definately got the worst of it. He's got a large tear on his belly and few other more minor puncture wounds. Fortunately, he's still wearing a full winter coat so the thick fur protected him from some damage. He is at the vet right now getting stitched up and will have to stay over night. The vet says he's actually pretty lucky. The wound on his belly missed all the major blood vessels and he lost a minimal amount of blood. You could never tell that by looking at him--blood on solid white fur looks horrific! I'm sure Pacer isn't feeling so lucky right now.

None of the other dogs were hurt and the instigator has been pulled from the pen. Antare is very vocally complaining about this punishment, but I'm so mad at him I can't even go out there and tell him to shut up!

Pacer is very timid and was making good progress. After I got everyone separated, Pacer certainly seemed to know that I was going to help him. He ran to the gate and waited for me to bring him inside. Usually I have to chase him around a bit before he cooperates!

We built a new pen yesterday. It's supposed to be for Mac & Ozzy--possible new fosters arriving soon, but I think that Pacer will go in there too when he's healed up. Just have to get the bottom of the fence husky proofed.

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/pacer.jpg
I took this one of him yesterday

If you could spare a few healing thoughts, Pacer could sure use them. Thanks.

Kfamr
05-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Oh poor Pacer!! I certainly hope this doesn't effect the fact that he was getting better timid-wise.

Our thoughts are with you all {{gentle hugs to all of you}}

tatsxxx11
05-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh no:(:(:( Poor Pacer:( Thank goodness you weren't even more seriously injured! I think a night of rest at the vet's is a good idea for you sweetheart. Glacier, I'm sorry to hear that this gentle boy was so traumatized. Hopefully Antare will have learned his lesson and Pacer will suffer no long term psych. effects from the fight:( Please update us on Pacer tomorrow. Get well soon Pacer:) {{{HUGS}}}

anna_66
05-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh Pacer:(

I'm so glad to hear that it was nothing major that sent him to the vets.

Healing thoughts coming your way sweet Pacer
XOXO

That's an awesome picture of him Glacier!

Kfamr
05-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Any uppiedates on poor pacer?:)

Glacier
05-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Any uppiedates on poor pacer?:)

He's spending the night at the vet. Once they got him shaved, his wounds are worse than they first appeared. The one on his stomach has one spot where it actually pierced the muscle wall. There is a large laceration at the base of his tail. If either of those gets infected we're in big trouble fast. He could get a major systemic infection if it gets into his abdominal cavity and he could loose bowel control if the other one gets infected. The vet is sending him home on an assortment of anti-biotics and pain killers. If he doesn't get infected, he should make a full recovery.
He should be home tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for asking.

Kfamr
05-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Oh dear... Pacer, take care of your owwies and don't let them get infected, okay?

The pups and are will be thinking of you guys and hoping that nothing gets infected and he has a full recovery. :)

delidog
05-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Oh Poor Pacer!!!
I am so Sorry to see this!!!
I was waiting to see a pic w/his halter on!!!
Not a pic from the Vet!!!

I hope that he Heals Fast & Clean!!!!!
Poor,Poor Pacer
You are in our Thoughts & Prayers!!!!!!!

You are a Good at Home Vet,However!!!!
I'm sure he will heal well,under your loving care....
Sheesh,You've had enough practice lately!!!!
Glacier,Please tell your Pups....Enough!!!!!
Too much stress on You & Us!!!;)

Hugs & Treats Dear Pacer!!!!!
Ask Hobo how to heal properly!!;) :)
Hes' a good patient!!

Canis Amicus
05-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Pacer, you are in my prayers.

Wish you a good recovery.

Rosana
and
Rex (German Shepherd, 3y)

cloverfdx
05-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Oh no i am sorry to hear about Pacer. Sending well wishes to Pacer and all of his family.

Get well soon sweet Pacer.