PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Dilema!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-24-2004, 01:31 PM
I have always free-fed Ally, and she has always remained a real skinny-malinky! (Part of it is genetics, as Dilmuns are usually very sleek). Now I have a problem - Conner is getting SO tubby - he can't even jump up to his favourite sleep place any more. I am not sure how much weight he has put on (the silly vet didn't write down his weight on the card when I adopted him), but its A LOT.

How can I cut down on what Connor eats without starving Ally??? They only have dry food.

kimlovescats
05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
I can't think of any one good suggestion ... I guess you may just have to put Ally's food in a separate room, and let her in there several times a day to keep her weight up? Only problem with that, is she may end up eating Connor's food that is in the usual place. Hmmmm..... you may have to just plan scheduled feedings with separate bowls and put reduced cal food in Connors, and maybe increase the amount in Ally's bowl? Just a thought... good luck!

:)

catcrazylady
05-24-2004, 01:51 PM
I wish I could help but I fear and dread the day that I get into this situation! I know Sirrahbed and I'm sure some others have had to deal with this. They may have some suggestions that will be helpful. Maggie Sue really need to be on a light food but Pete and Pepper Jack look like they could blow away. Multi cat house holds are not good for diet plans! Good Luck!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

Laura's Babies
05-24-2004, 01:52 PM
If he can't jump on his favorite place to sleep anymore...Put her food on a kitchen counter ot table someplace where he can't jump!

sirrahbed
05-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Laura beat me to it! Skinny Eliot gets his (regular dry adult) food only up on the kitchen counter. The two tubbies CAN get up there but it is usually too much effort. I feed the dieters their two 1/4 servings twice a day - same time as Eliot eats and then take the food away after about 15 minutes. I keep a bowl for Eliot in a cabinet and get it out now and then - up on the counter if he acts hungry - and stay with him. The tubbies acted like I was killing them for awhile but now they don't always even FINISH their food! (They eat SD W/D) Dylan is trimming down visably and is more energetic. Emily has only lost a few ounces but better than a weight GAIN as she is just now a year old. I am going to start feeding everyone the same healthy dry diet (not prescription) but continue to limit Emily and Dylan's amounts as they are piggies! Eliot will continue to get as much as he wants.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
If he can't jump on his favorite place to sleep anymore...Put her food on a kitchen counter ot table someplace where he can't jump! '

Great Idea! I'll have a look around and try find a high spot for Ally's food, and switch Connor to low-cal!

catlover4ever
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
If he can't jump on his favorite place to sleep anymore...Put her food on a kitchen counter ot table someplace where he can't jump!

Laura beat me to that suggestion. That is what I do for Tigger and Tucker...I do this not as a matter of tubbyness....but for reason of fighting.

Cataholic
05-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Tex is fed on the counter top, the tubbys (sorry Tubby!) eat on the mezzanine level :D