PDA

View Full Version : Raw Meat Risky For Pets

QueenScoopalot
05-23-2004, 02:23 PM
http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=107564&SecID=2

Raw meat for pets is risky

There have been lots of studies conducted on raw meat diets.

Veterinarian Craig Prior said the results show they are just not healthy.

"Raw meat carries the threat of bacteria and parasites that are dangerous to pets and people, everything from e-coli to salmonella," he said.

The spread of germs is just one concern. The bigger issue is nutrition. Dogs are not true carnivores. They need a variety of foods for a well-balanced diet.

Even cats, which are carnivores, don't rely on muscle meat alone.

"When cats eat a mouse they eat the whole mouse. They get calcium from the bones and the vitamins and minerals they need from the organ meat. Meat is a good source of protein but it has very low levels of calcium, a mineral pets require to keep bones and teeth healthy. By contrast, high quality commercial pet foods are carefully processed to protect against bacteria and parasite infection and provide a well balanced diet," he said.
Pet Zone

Don't feed pets raw meat; Prepare them a homecooked meal with meat rice and vegetables.

There are homemade diets you can make for your pets that are healthy but make sure the meat is cooked. Here's a basic diet from Hill's for dogs or cats:

Mix up a ¼ pound of cooked meat (lamb, beef, chicken or pork), add 1 cup of cooked white rice, 1½ teaspoons of vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon of dicalcium phosphate or bone meal. Talk with your vet about adding a balanced supplement for vitamins and trace minerals.

If you want to know how much to feed. It's based on weight.

For dogs:
5 lb. feed 1/3 lb.
10 lb. feed ½ lb.
20 lb. feed 1 lb.
40 lb. feed 1½ lb.
60 lb. feed 2 lb.
80 lb. feed 2 1/3 lb.
100 lb. feed 2¾ lb.

For cats:
5 lb. feed 1/5 lb.
7-8 lb. feed ¼ lb.
10 lb. feed 1/3 lb.

Some other foods healthy dogs can eat: hard-cooked eggs, white bread, creamed cottage cheese, drained canned carrots, drained canned green beans, 1 teaspoon calcium carbonate, 2 tablespoons dried brewer's yeast, 1 teaspoon potassium chloride.

Some other foods healthy cats can eat: liver, hard-cooked eggs and 1 teaspoon of calcium carbonate.

cali
05-23-2004, 06:38 PM
dont even get me started on how WRONG that whole article is.:mad:

Kfamr
05-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by cali
dont even get me started on how WRONG that whole article is.:mad:

Please explain in a non-angerly way. I'd like to read.

NoahsMommy
05-23-2004, 09:37 PM
I agree with cali. Before we put Micah on his raw diet, I researched for MONTHS to make sure it was safe. Micah has NEVER been healthier.

This is an excellent site that explains everything, including the risks of, a raw diet: www.felinefuture.com

Here is a link to their page on parasite and diseases:
http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch2a.php

:)

cali
05-23-2004, 10:23 PM
well for one thing people who feed RAW DONT feed muscle meat alone. you feed the Raw meat including the bone, and you feed organ meats and veggie mush to simulate the nutrients that would be found in the prey body. many people also feed the whole animals, there is a place that sells whole animal patties(the entire animal gorund into patties) a dog and cats digestive tracts are also WAY shorter then a humans, while its true that they can get e-coli and salmonella, its far easier for a human to get it then a dog or a cat, because the bacteria does not sit there for any amount of time. to be honest its easier to get e-coli or salmonella from kibble, why? because kibble sits in the animals digestive system much longer then it should, while things like RAW meats and other natural foods pass right through, that is why you cant feed the 2 together without some trouble, kibble takes nearly a full day to fully digest while natural foods only takes a few hours or even minuts. the problem with cooking the food is that while it kills the bad stuff that they are unlikley to get in the first place, it also kills all the good nutriets, and kind of defeats the purpose.

luckies4me
05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Actually a raw food diet is not safe. I just talked to my vet about it and the results she shared with me were startling. All of the research done on these poor animals who suffered from a raw diet was just heartbreaking and it's something I am difinitely staying away from.

Oh and BTW, cats don't eat bones, and I find it very unsafe to offer bones to dogs, even big bones because the chance of splentering and causing damage to internal organs, throat, choking etc. is far too great. The photos I saw of these animals would make you chance your mind in a heartbeat. Food sitting in the stomach does not cause Ecoli to suddenly appear. Kibble is cooked and free of parasites and bacteria.

wolf_Q
05-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think a raw diet is safe either. But there's people on either side, and I don't think their minds will be changed....so its best to offer information but just "agree to disagree" I think.

NoahsMommy
05-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Oh and BTW, cats don't eat bones.
The "bones" in most raw diets are powdered. It gives them added calcium as a bonus as well. :)

Even the vets a work have told me they don't learn much about animal nutrition in school, so they are usually against raw feeding.

I think its a decision for each person to make on their own, after they are properly educated on both side of the issue. :)

cali
05-24-2004, 10:01 AM
there is a reason why I said dont even get me started on that article. I know perfectly well what the stance of people who have never actually seen what the RAW diet can do is on this board.

cloverfdx
05-24-2004, 11:09 AM
I feed mainly raw, on occasions i will cook up their meat and make a stew with pasta and vegies as a treat. My dogs have never gotton sick from raw meat. Elvis (7 month old pup) has been having raw meat in his diet since he came home and has never had a day of sickness in his life.

When Clover was not well a couple of months back the Vet (Fill in Vet, did not know what she was talking about) said it must have been the raw meat that was making her sick.

But to each their own. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
05-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I don't think a raw diet is safe either. But there's people on either side, and I don't think their minds will be changed....so its best to offer information but just "agree to disagree" I think.

Ditto. My thoughts and feelings exactly.

binka_nugget
05-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Alot of vets aren't educated extensively in terms of nutrition. And if they are, guess who comes by and teaches them? YEP! Big companies like Hills will come by and "teach" them. I've also read that in some cases, Hills will offer extremely cheap food to students because alot of the students have problems paying for schooling and feeding their pets. I'd imagine that that would be one reason why so many vets seem to stick by Hills/Science Diet.

PROPERLY fed raw diets don't consist of just raw meat. There's much more to it. Just feeding muscle meat alone is asking for trouble. There are bones involved along with veggies/fruits, supplements (in some cases), eggs, and organ meats. Some people actually do feed whole animals (like Cali stated). A few butchers have loads of customers who only go there to buy meats for their dogs and often have specials on whole rabbits.

But yes, there are risks involved. Of course there is. The success of the diet relies on what the owner knows and sometimes, just plain ol' luck. If the owner decides that feeding raw meat only is going to be beneficial, well, that's risky. Some dogs have choked on bones (and yes, I've read that some have even choked on kibble). But when you read the articles closely, you can often find a mistake that the owner made. Like in one case, a lady was raging and venting about the raw diet after her smaller breed dog choked on a bone. Most of the non-raw feeding people started supporting her and cursing the diet while the raw feeding people weren't surprised as the size of the bones were absurd for a dog of that size.

And well, seeing is believing for me. Kai went from a very good food (Wellness) to raw. That change wasn't as obvious as Wellness was already a good food but there were still changes to be noted. His energy was astounding. His teeth were incredible. And his coat was the most amazing change of all (although..coat change doesn't necessarily mean the dog's in good health but it's generally a good thing). With Kaedyn, lord knows what his past "owners" fed (I say “owners” with reluctance :mad: ). He came to us in pretty bad conditions. Coat was dull, teeth were nasty, breath was gross, and he acted over his age. He acted like a senior. After a few weeks on the raw diet (complete with veggies, eggs, organ meats and all), he looked like a brand new dog. His coat was amazing, his teeth were much cleaner, his breath improved dramatically and the most significant change was the way he acted. He didn’t act like a senior anymore. He acted like Kai, like a youngster again. So.. risky? Yes. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

cloverfdx
05-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Well said Binka_Nugget. :)

guster girl
05-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I feed my dog the raw prey model diet, and, I'll never feed any differently. It's amazing! I don't feed veggie mush anymore, just because I did more research, but, if I'm cutting up veggies or fruit, I'll give Finn a couple of pieces. Everything has it's risks, including kibble. And, I'm lucky. My vet is an advocate of the diet I feed my pup. :) Lock, the Bengal cat, also eats the raw diet. He loves his chicken legs and sardines. MMMMM.....