PDA

View Full Version : Obiedience puppy school

Amber
05-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Im really confused with obidience stuff.

How old does your puppy need to be to enter? Elvis is getting older, and Im pretty sure he is around 4 months old.

and the number one thing Im really lost on is where do I start? We don't have any dog schools here close to me (not that im sure of) and I don't know where to look. This is the first time we are doing this. so, any help I can get, is appreciated.

aly
05-23-2004, 11:39 AM
It depends on the trainer and the place you go, but 4 months is definately old enough for almost any Puppy Class. The puppy classes I teach are for puppies from 3-5 months. After 5 months, they need to take an adult class.

You can call around to vet clinics to find out about obedience places near you. Just be sure that the place uses positive reinforcement. I'd highly recommend taking classes from a shelter or individual trainer over Petsmart/Petco classes. I have my reasons for that, but I don't want to offend anyone who goes to Petsmart/Petco classes. If you do have to go there though, it won't be the end of the world or anything. I'd just try to find a good class elsewhere first.

GoldenRetrLuver
05-23-2004, 11:52 AM
We never did 'Puppy classes'...just regular Dog Obedience with Daisy when she was six months. She was the youngest in the class, [Most dogs were 8 months - 2 years.] but she was the star. ;)

Amber
05-23-2004, 11:53 AM
OKay, Thankyou Aly.

I wont be taking Elvis to any petco or petsmart classes because they are really far from here. Somewhere in Dayton.

But I'll cal my 2 vets and see if anything is going on.

binka_nugget
05-23-2004, 12:41 PM
You can also try searching online. I found LOTS of trainers that way.

Kai was too old by a week to start puppy classes so we had to take basic instead. It was the worst 8 weeks of my life. :p I honestly thought there was no hope for him but now we're going into advance obedience (yay!).

Amber
05-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Okay ashley. I'm going to do some searches in the ohio area.

Good Job, Kai! :D