PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore's Cannes Award

smokey the elder
05-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Michael Moore received the Palme d'Or Award at the Cannes Film Festival for his documentary, Fahrenheit 9/11. I know very little about this film, other than Disney will not allow Miramax, its subsidiary, to screen it. I hate it when corporations can get around the First Amendment like that. Two Mirimax execs are trying to raise money to buy the film outright, and distribute it.

I don't know what it's about, but if it's a Michael Moore piece, you know it's going to be abrasive, probably offensive, and definitely thought-provoking!

Karen
05-23-2004, 07:54 AM
I wonder if the "controversy" over Disney "not distributing" was all part of a publicity ploy on the part of Michael Moore, and perhaps Disney, too. I'll probably see it anyway, though I was very disappointed with "Bowling for Columbine," with all its self-contradicting anf half-truths.

Lady's Human
05-23-2004, 04:54 PM
There is no first amendment issue in play here. A company has the right to do what it wants with its property, and if they want to eat the loss rather than distribute something they feel may hurt its business, so be it. The first amendment involves government censorship, not what a corporation does.

While Disney's refusal to distribute the film on the surface is an attempt at good corporate citizenship during an election year, I would personally take their claims with a huge grain of salt.

If I want something thought provoking I'll pick up a new book. I refuse to spend money and support Mr. Moore.

Michael Moore is to documentary as politician is to truth.

2kitties
05-23-2004, 08:05 PM
^^^what she said^^^

smokey the elder
05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
*yahbut*...I think a public corporation should follow SOME of the rules. ;) I've tilted at this windmill before; there are a LOT of things corporations get away with that bug me, but I don't want to hijack my own thread.:D :p

Lady's Human
05-24-2004, 05:12 PM
The first amendment applies strictly, and applies only to government actions. It starts with Congress shall make no laws. Not corporations shall make no laws. If a private citizen or corporation supplies money to do something and the result turns out to be something other than what they wanted, they should not be forced to publish it.

RICHARD
05-24-2004, 05:17 PM
It was reported that the Moore was given a 25 minute standing ovation for his 'award' ...

It was also reported that the applause went on so long because the audience was trying to keep him from making his acceptance speech....;)

leslie flenner
05-26-2004, 09:44 PM
On npr tonight there was a one hour interview with someone who had reviewed the movie (of course i can't think of his name) and is politically on top of things and has met mm. It is not abrasive. it is a tear- jerker. mm got a hold of a video last dec. (from a reporter) from a prison in Iraq (not any of the prisons we have heard about in recent days) that shows american soldiars abusing iraqy prisoners. This is several months before the public was told about this pattern among the prisons there. What is remarkable about this particular film is that it is not antagonistic against Americans in any way. The movie follows a family who lost a son in Iraq, the son's father had served in the Gulf war. They live in Flint, MI, MM's home town. The woman reads her son's letters, first thanking her for sending the bible, candy, etc, later telling her he's in Iraq for no reason, "He (Bush) has us here for no reason, I am so furious mama". There are footages of Bush prior to making his speech re: 911 attacks, and discussion re: his continuing to read to the children in the classroom an additional 7 minutes after learning about the first attack on America. Also some discussion on America giving money to Al Queda (we gave funds to Afganistan who allegedly passed this down to terrorists in Al Queda). Anyway, this is said to be unlike any of his previous films. very supportive of soldiars and mentioned in the interview is that the more republicans debunk the film, the better it will do with the public. I was unable to listen to the entire hour (grocery shopping) but caught most of it.

Grace
05-28-2004, 05:29 PM
MM was told a year ago by Disney that they would not be involved with distributing this film. He admitted to that in CNN interview.

He was simply engaging in a cheap publicity trick to up the ante on his film.

Corinna
05-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I heard he did the same hatcet job as on the Colimbine story.

RICHARD
06-07-2004, 01:04 PM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38776

Yikes!!!!!

This story made me laugh.....and, of course, I have to side with Bradbury on this one.....I have never seen MM with a cat in his arms....;)

DJFyrewolf36
06-07-2004, 01:14 PM
This guy seems like he is winning points left and right...

Everything I read labels him as an idiot...:confused:

Lady's Human
06-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Mr. Moore is no idiot. Like Joseph Goebbels (I'm sorry, Goebbels is just the most immediate example who comes to mind, there were also excellent Soviet propoganda writers in the same period), he is a brilliant propogandist, but too many confuse his propoganda with truth. He is also a brilliant self promoter, as shown by his "news" that Disney was going to "censor" his Farenheight 9/11 film by not releasing it, just in time for a media build up prior to Cannes. The reality is that Disney had told him long before that it wasn't going to release his film. He is a brilliant editor, shaping statements and taking them out of context to support his ideas. Stupid, not at all. Truthful? Not at all.

DJFyrewolf36
06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
I admittedly don't know a lot about the guy. I do agree, he seems to be good at calling attention to himself. My hubby always says "Any publicity is good publicity" And I guess people caling him an "idiot" are still gaining him attention...Which I guess thats what he wants right?

leslie flenner
06-14-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/russo.html

CatMama78
06-15-2004, 01:04 PM
You know what, he may be exagerrating the truth, but there is some validity to what he films and says. I tend to agree with his general concepts, even though I'm aware there are 2 sides to every story. I think his films are amusing and eye opening. Hopefully no one takes them too seriously, but at the same time it's good to realize nothing is as it seems, espexcially when it some to government and politics. You just never know what they are really up to.

RICHARD
06-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Michael Moore had photos and the story behind the Abu Grahib (how DO you spell that???) prison beatings and didn't come forward with that info because he thought, 'People would believe that he was promoting his movie with that info..'

What a freaking humanitarian.....He wants to put a spin on the current administration's actions overseas, he has some particularly damning information-and he only thinks about his own self promotion.

Another blatant lie in his 9/11 movie is the assertion that GWB rounded up the bin Laden family
and helped them get out of the US..

It was actually one of ranking officials in the FBI who approved the mission of getting the BL's out of the US.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/flight.htm

---------------------------

And going back to the Bowling for Columbine movie...

I have not seen Moore's cartoon/documentary but heard about the staged 'guns for opening a bank account'..

Funny, Moore seems to forget that there is a waiting period for the purchase of firearms in this country and no bank would keep real firearms on the premises.

I don't mind a good fairy tale once in a while, but making money on people's suffering and a war against terrorism seems a little shady and disrespectful to the people who have died in these cases.............

Sometimes MOORE is LESS....:rolleyes:

catlady1945
06-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Blocking distribution just drew more attention to the film. I think that the public is smart (or maybe not) enough to watch the movie and draw their own conclusions. Do you believe everything you see or read? Lord, what a fuss over nothing.

RICHARD
06-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by catlady1945
Do you believe everything you see or read? Lord, what a fuss over nothing.

Can I wait until it comes out on HBO???:)

Soledad
06-18-2004, 03:32 PM
I think that using Snopes.com as your ultimate source is pretty sketchy in and of itself.

It's interesting that FOX reviewed F9/11 as "patriotic" and said it was an amazing film. They're hardly a bastian of liberal propoganda.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,122680,00.html

RICHARD
06-18-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I think that using Snopes.com as your ultimate source is pretty sketchy in and of itself.

When have I been known to post anything that made sense?
Of course it's going to be sketchy. I can't afford to be caught telling the truth.

Richard Clarke is one of GWB's biggest detractors in the way he handled 9/11.......There are numerous articles and talk show appearances where Clarke tells some pretty telling stories about the behind the scenes 'happenings' right after that day.

I think that using Fox as a source is informative... Mein Gott!!

Who knew that-

Gretchen Mol (newly married over the weekend to director Todd Williams),

Lauren Bacall (chatting up a fully refurbished Lauren Hutton),

a very pregnant Rory Kennedy, was there,

and the always humorous Joy Behar would be in attendance!!

What happened to Streisand and Brolin?

---------------------------------------

Check out the poster for the movie......

It shows some buffoon, holding an envelope with the word CONFIDENTIAL stamped in red across the back....It reminds me of all the summer/beach/teeny bopper movies from the 80's!

You know the kind, they show you a torso of a bikini clad woman with huge boobs, a beach chair in the background and the teenage kid with a can of beer in his hand, peeking around the gal's waist-----

The Secret of Summer!!! Wine Women and Waves!!

Actually, I am glad they hid the bottom portion of his face....people, with a double chin like that, shouldn't grow a beard.

Instead of marketing it as a serious documentary he gave his blessing to a campaign that makes it seem that MM is giving us the 'untold story' about 9/11 - read the Ray Bradbury story I posted earlier - he cannot even come up with an original title.
-------------------------------------------------

I respect MM for putting together a film like that, It shows the hunger the public has for a good fairy tale. It shows how many pregnant, refurbished and humorous stars you can get into a room when they don't have to pay 9 bucks to see a movie.

---------------------------------------------------

So what about MM having the pics and stuff about the Abu Grahib
scandal?

Talk about covering up!

A chance to put the screws to the government and administration that he despises so openly and he sits on the info??????

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/06/13/MNG2K75D7S1.DTL&type=printable

He can't break that story to the public, but he can insert a flim clip of a prisoner's crotch being grabbed in his movie.

Nope, no Snopes there, straight from the horses mou........rear end.

P.S.

I hope you post more often.......The election is not that far off!

:)

leslie flenner
06-19-2004, 06:44 PM
MM was not the only one with info on what was happening last Dec. in the prisons- Bush knew, the reporter who passed on the info knew (obviously). Is everyone here conservative? Just curious! What is wrong with spreading one's understanding of the truth? There are so many lies in govt. I can't fathom it. I welcome controversial "truths" to my understanding of the world- it's more truthful than just reading the paper and watching the nightly news!

RICHARD
06-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by leslie flenner
Is everyone here conservative?

No....

I have been drunk AND naked a few times in my life.

jonza
06-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Is everyone here conservative?
No, I don't think so, but one can get the impression from over here that the typical fervent George Bush fan has a tendency to be very arrogant and narrow minded, almost fanatical. For them there are presumably never two sides to a story, only their version can be right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Unfortunately, having a large scrotum, using threatening behavior and senseless, gratuitous sarcasm doesn't work as well as trying to find rational arguments (at least not for most Europeans).

So discussions on politics with them seem to be rather counter productive.

Not forgetting of course, that there are so many sincere people of the conservative persuasion. They're the ones who are not extremist in their views. The ones that understand the importance of a balanced view, of tolerance and humility and other such old fashioned virtues.
What a pity there aren't more politicians like that!

Back to the cats and dogs and other non political creatures …

RICHARD
06-24-2004, 02:26 PM
WHEW!

I'm not a fan of GWB - that gets me off the hook!

And as far as being counter productive......I like a large space where I can chop vegetables and keep the toaster oven.

I was hoping that my girlfriends would not have betrayed my physical attributes......;) You know what they say about people with long fingers....They are better typists than most!

Thank God I'm not a Texan.....those people are insufferably HUGE!!

I never understood people who have a problem with people based on their Geographical locations...that Europe Vs. the US of A is really over rated.....Latitude and Longitude are just a way of finding your way around the globe....

Let me apologize to you and all the other people who may be offended by my crass, insenstive, big scrotumed -is that a real word-scrotumed?????- joie de vivre....

I find that the secret joy that most people have when the United States eats crap for a few minutes on the World Scene to be well deserved. I mean, you can't go 230 years without falling on your arse!! .....after all, we cannot possibly compete with Ye Olde World and their 1,000 year plus history!!!!

Enjoy our follies....we do- and often air them for everyone else's entertainment.

When we can't laugh at outselves and each other without getting bent out of shape that's when it's time to start to worry. It's nothing personal....I like to look at things from somewhere in the middle.....claiming a side is way too easy when you throw rocks across the fence.....hanging out in between is much more stimulating.....you have two sets of maniacs pitching stones!

Take a minute and laugh......don't take things to seriously!

It's only politics.

I'm going to the loo and check to see what all the excitement is all about.......When you have a 42 inch inseam something is going on.

Indeed!

Psst,

I do have some tolerance......I'm over 2 meters tall!;)

DJFyrewolf36
06-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Richard I have only one thing to say:

I love you :D

RICHARD
06-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Richard I have only one thing to say:

I love you :D

:D

RICHARD
06-25-2004, 03:08 PM
One thing I must clear up..

My inseam is only 38 inches.....

I gave myself 4 extra....wiggle room, I guess.
--------------------------------

And I'd like to toss out a point that we can have a little discussion about.

Why is is so important for Moore to show that GWB spent 7 minutes reading to those kids after hearing the news about the first airplane hit the WTC?

What could have been accomplished in those 420 seconds?

Almost three years after the 9/11 we are having commission meetings, hearing tapes of the hijackers voices from the cockpits and the supposed failure of the NYC emergency services crews....

94,608,000 seconds later we still don't have answers with all that info....

How could we have any questions 420 second after the first news got to GWB?

I don't support the Demos or Republicans nor the Greens.....In my old age I find all politicians equally dishonest and a little shady....

DJFyrewolf36
06-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

I don't support the Demos or Republicans nor the Greens.....In my old age I find all politicians equally dishonest and a little shady....

In my young age I find all politicians dishonest and a little shady...:rolleyes: