PDA

View Full Version : This Dog Gets A Lawyer

lizbud
05-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Dog Gets Lawyer For Rabies Case
Animal Could Be Beheaded If It Is Wolf-Dog Hybrid

POSTED: 3:25 pm EST May 21, 2004

CROWN POINT, Ind. -- Plenty of lawyers have dogs -- but how many dogs have lawyers?

At least one. And his name is Cabic.

Lake Circuit Judge Lorenzo Arredondo appointed an attorney Thursday to represent Cabic at a hearing to determine whether the animal is a wolf-dog hybrid -- the outcome of which will be a matter of life and death.

Authorities say Cabic bit one of his owner's neighbors in Cedar Lake. If Cabic is just a dog, he will be put under a 10-day quarantine to determine whether it has rabies.

But wolf-dog hybrids, which are considered wild under Indiana law, are treated differently. If Cabic is a wolf-dog, his head has to be removed and sent to the state Health Department for testing.

Arredondo appointed Merrillville attorney Priscilla Herochik to look after Cabic's rights.

delidog
05-23-2004, 05:03 AM
What?!?!!?
How Arcaic are we????
What is the reason behind this???
Is this a bad joke???

How sad!!!

CamCamPup33
05-23-2004, 10:51 AM
If Cabic is a wolf-dog, his head has to be removed and sent to the state Health Department for testing.

:eek: :eek: WHAT!?

:( Poor dog..

GoldenRetrLuver
05-23-2004, 11:55 AM
What the heck?!?!?! :mad:

Beheaded? How barbaric are we?! :(

Sad. :(

Karen
05-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Is there no way to test for rabies without beheading the animal? Quarantine, please!

lizbud
05-23-2004, 01:43 PM
I really don't know the law on wolf hybrids in Indiana, but
this doesn't seem right to me. This quote is from an article on
Wolf Park's website.

"Unlike most cases involving dogs, wolves and hybrids are almost invariably killed immediately for rabies testing. Although there is substantial circumstantial evidence for the effectiveness of rabies vaccines on wolves and their hybrids, there is no legally accepted vaccine for wolves.'

This statement & others are on listed under Guidelines for
keeping wolf/dog hybrids.

http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfdogs/index.html

ramanth
05-24-2004, 08:38 AM
:( I hope Cabic is quarentined.

cloverfdx
05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
That is terribly sad. :(

I wish Cabic luck.