PDA

View Full Version : Nala's breed?

Kfamr
05-21-2004, 11:12 PM
I've been thinking about making a thread about this for a while now. the more and more I look at her I see Greyhound.
I know for sure Lab.

Her deep chest, her narrow head, the defined "bump" on the back of her head, her long long legs, her love for running, her skinny waist, the way she hold her ears when they're back... and much more.

She has the hyperness of a Lab, but the gentleness of a Greyhound.

What do you think she looks like?

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/DogPark4-26/57.jpg
(she's the one in the front)
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/DogPark4-26/17.jpg
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/Helpers/11.jpg
I'm sure you all have seen plenty of pictures to base your opinion on, but I thought I'd post a few here. :)

Not that her breed matters a bit to me, I'm just curious. :D

GoldenRetrLuver
05-21-2004, 11:19 PM
LOL...how ironic. I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago, and than I saw this. :p

Definately Lab. Maybe Great Dane? [Like you mentioned before.] Or maybe some Coonhound, because of her floppy ears? I also see some Greyhound characteristics in her...she sort of reminds me of Tasha.

Whatever she is, she's the cutest mutt I've seen. :D

Corinna
05-21-2004, 11:23 PM
I have been thinking for a while she had some kind of sight hound in her. Those long slender legs are a tell tale sign. She beautiul and a great complent for Simba.

DogLover9501
05-21-2004, 11:27 PM
I also see greyhound in her, especially her chest and stomach like you said!

Kfamr
05-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks for your opinions and compliments everyone. :)

She reminds me of Tasha as well... more like Tasha reminds me of a mixture of Sim & Nala.

Dogz
05-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Now that you mention Greyhound, I can see some characteristics. I can also see Great Dane. Definately lab.

Like Julie said, whatever she is, she is the cutest mutt! :)

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Nala says thanks, Emma! and to the rest of you as well. :D

BCBlondie
05-22-2004, 01:54 AM
She likes to run...but is she fast? ;) Greyhounds are racers...and very fast dogs..
She's a cutie tho.. love the floppy ears! :)

RobiLee
05-22-2004, 06:09 AM
I've always thought she looked like a lab and great dane mix. I guess maybe I can see a bit of greyhound also or actually maybe even doberman they also have that deep chest and slender rib cage. All I know is she sure is one pretty girl with a great set of legs ;) I can't wait to see her and Simba in person!!

Robin :)

cali
05-22-2004, 10:01 AM
those signs dont really mean anything. happy is a pur bred border collie but her structure is almost exactly like a greyhounds. long legs, long narrow nose, rose ears, big chest, very tiny tummy. she LOVES to race etc.. and there is no greyhound whatsoever in her. in all likleyhood Nala is a feild lab mix.

GoldenRetrLuver
05-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by cali
those signs dont really mean anything. happy is a pur bred border collie but her structure is almost exactly like a greyhounds. long legs, long narrow nose, rose ears, big chest, very tiny tummy. she LOVES to race etc.. and there is no greyhound whatsoever in her. in all likleyhood Nala is a feild lab mix.

But you KNOW that Happy is a purebred Border Collie, so of course she couldn't have Greyhound in her.

Nala on the otherhand, we can only guess with her breed/s. So, you never know...she could have Greyhound or something else in her. :) Seeing her pictures makes me think of it more and more.

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 10:10 AM
The fact that everyone's who's seen here IRL have said "Is she part Greyhound?" or something along those lines surely mean something.

I don't see any resemblance to a greyhound in Happy.

WTF is a feild lab?

cali
05-22-2004, 10:20 AM
greyhound people have thought happy was a greyhound puppy lol. I have had to correct so many people who just assume that happy is a greyhound puppy.

a feild = working lab
AKC lab = the really bulky labs in the show ring.

http://www.oregonretrievers.com/images/alph.jpg

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Eh, whatever. I still think she looks part Greyhound. :)

I still don't see how "Greyhound people" could think happy looks part greyhound. I don't see it at all.

cali
05-22-2004, 11:34 AM
you dont see it because most pics I post of her here, I take right after grooming her, so her hair covers it up.

I seem to only have 3 pics that you can actually see her structire clearly in. and hey it suprises me too how many people think happy is a greyhound lol I mean she truley has a greyhounds structure but her hair kinda gives it away lol this is the best pic I could find that you can see her structure somewhat clearly.. (she is hunkering in the pic so you dont see how long her legs are, but I will have professanal pics of her running soon enugh)

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Eh, okay, whatever.

Karen
05-22-2004, 12:05 PM
I still think Lab/Great Dane. The long legs, deep chest and love of running are Dane characteristics as well. Her muzzle seems more blocky and Dane-like than greyhound, they have such delicate heads, and her eyes don't seem set like a greyhound's, either. Just IMHO.

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that's where I see the Lab.

although, I still think she has somewhat of a Dane look..

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 12:16 PM
I just found this when I googled great dane. :eek:
GD/Lab mix, Woody.
http://www.fuzzyfriendsrescue.com/images/dogs/images/Woody%203yr%20male%20Great%20Dane,%20Lab%20Mix_JPG .jpg

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Err..

Karen
05-22-2004, 12:27 PM
I didn't get the picture when I clicked the link, but when I deleted everything in the link after images/ I found the list, and Woody's picture. Smiling tan dog, pretty close, huh, Kay?

Kfamr
05-22-2004, 12:28 PM
He's similar to Nala.. A bit bulkier though. His snout is shorter as well.

Moose
05-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I've wondered about this quite a few times too. I mean, I definitely see Lab, and either some sort of Pit/Great Dane in her. But the way her waist gets so much skinnier than her chest makes me think she must have Greyhound in her. But eh, what do I know? :p

CountryWolf07
05-22-2004, 03:53 PM
To me, she's gotta be definitely part Great Dane and yellow Labrador.

Amber
05-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Nala is such a beautiful dog. Whatever her mix is, it makes it a perfect fit.

My friends lab mix looks EXACTLY like nala. Except she pure black. Eveytime Im there Im always thinking, wow she looks so much like nala. long long legs, big floppy ears, and gentle bright eyes. You'd have to see her in person, but they just look so much alike. if only they were the same color they would be twins!

Heres a picture of her...Her names Sadie.

Tweety_Pie
05-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Nala REALLY reminds me of a dog at our local humane society ...

his name is Sydney and he is a greyhound and smooth collie mix...

Here he is

http://www.petharbor.com/get_image.asp?RES=Detail&ID=A034176&LOCATION=OTTW

ramanth
05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
I see Lab and Great Dane. :D Especially in the action shots. :D

wolfie
05-24-2004, 09:46 AM
I think Nala is a lab/mutt mix. ^_^

this site (http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/tutorial2.html) explains that not all dogs are the decendents of purebreds, and it's nearly impossible to figure out what is in a mutt.

And as cali said, there are two types of labs, the leaner ones, and the stockier ones. Nala looks like she is from the leaner labbie line.

Whatever she is, she is adorable, and that's all that matters. :D

veegan
05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Ive always thought she looked pitbull in her face. I see the dane-ness too now that you guys mention it. but its so hard to tell. she probably has many different breeds in her. whatever she is, shes one gorgeous pup!

I still think Lab/Great Dane. The long legs, deep chest and love of running are Dane characteristics as well. Her muzzle seems more blocky and Dane-like than greyhound, they have such delicate heads, and her eyes don't seem set like a greyhound's, either. Just IMHO.

thats exactly what I was thinking.

lizzielou742
05-24-2004, 03:14 PM
My family has a dog (lives with my parents now) that looks an awful lot like Nala. I wish I had some pics with me to post. Anyway she looks like Nala in the face, but is smaller - only 45 lbs. She's lab, golden retreiver, husky, german shepherd and black lab all mixed with who knows what else. So you never know what Nala could be!!

Whatever she is, she's gorgeous! I just want to love on her!!

Kfamr
05-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. :)

K9soul
05-24-2004, 03:33 PM
It's hard to tell but I always wonder myself about Tasha because her mother is the only one of her parents whose breed was known by the shelter where I got her. Her mother was Shep/greyhound but I have no idea what her father was. I think he must have been more of a mid-size breed or mix because Tash is closer to a mid-size breed at 50 pounds. To me the greyhound is evident in her but I always wonder what else might be there too. Nala could easily have either Dane or Greyound IMO, they have very similar body builds. Perhaps even like Tash she had a dane or greyhound mix as one of her parents. I think she definitely has lab though.

The shelter had made a guess that Tasha had springer spaniel in her as well but I don't see that in her one bit, even her behavior is more consistent with shepherd/greyhound attributes.

I guess it's something us mutt owners will always wonder at, but it's fun to take guesses :)

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Tasha%20and%20Tommy/tashasun1.jpg

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Tasha%20and%20Tommy/tashadeck.jpg

Kfamr
05-24-2004, 03:37 PM
I definitely don't see any sort of spaniel in Tasha..

Ahhh.. whatever our mutts are, they sure make the cutest dogs! :D :p