PDA

View Full Version : Dvd For Parrots

gini
05-21-2004, 04:02 PM
British Company Makes DVD for Parrots
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: May 21, 2004

Filed at 4:40 p.m. ET

LONDON (AP) -- No more bored birds. No more annoyed avians. A British company on Friday introduced ``Pollyvision,'' an 80-minute DVD of wild parrots preening, feeding and flying through the rainforest that it hopes will entertain caged parrots and budgies while their owners are out at work.

The World Parrot Trust, based in Hayle, southwest England, said it believes the work is the first to be aimed at an avian audience.

Advertisement

It has been launched as part of celebrations for World Parrot Day on May 31.

Film producer Jamie Gilardi, a Californian parrot biologist, believes the DVD could improve the lives of Britain's 5 million pet parrots and budgies.

``Parrots are highly intelligent, sensitive and social creatures, so they need a great deal of enrichment and stimulation or they get bored and depressed,'' he said.

The film has been edited to appeal to parrots' interests and attention span.

Alison Hales, one of the directors of the Paradise Park Wildlife Sanctuary in Hayle, said the DVD also gave an insight into the ``secret life of parrots.''

But she added, ``We have yet to see whether all parrots will respond to it, or whether some will be frightened.''

^------

On the Net:

Karen
05-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I guess if a parrot can't have an actual flock, a virtual one is better than nothin' ...!

popcornbird
05-21-2004, 04:11 PM
DVD for parrots? How cool!!! I don't think my birds would like it though. They would probably get scared. The little sparrows that visit the backyard every now and then are enough to frighten my birdies. :o I believe they think they're humans.......they don't seem to be too fond of other birds.