PDA

View Full Version : I Hate..............

Holly's mom
05-21-2004, 12:35 PM
WOODTICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Spring here in Minnesota and that means woodticks! Ugh!! I just hate them. Holly has had two of them on her, both by her eyes, luckily they weren't "hooked" on too much, I was able to pull them off with a tweezer. I found three more in the house this morning. Oh, they just give me the creeps, I hate them worse than spiders, I just feel crawly all over!!!!!!

Just wanted to vent.....:o I feel better now. :)

Kfamr
05-21-2004, 12:50 PM
What exactly are they? I've never heard of them.

I'm assuming they're some sort of bug/insect.

Logan
05-21-2004, 12:51 PM
I HATE any kind of tick. I don't even know the distinctions, I just know I hate them all!! I pulled one off of Zipper's forehead, right between his eyes, recently. YUCK!!!!! I know the Frontline will kill them, but I guess I found this one before it did it's thing.

YUCK YUCK YUCK!!! :eek:

trayi52
05-21-2004, 01:00 PM
I hate ticks too! Seems like when Stubby goes outside, he brings a few in. They aren't bit in, just seems to want a ride into the house. Then he decides he is going to lay on me, and pretty soon they are on me!! I hate to get bit by a tick, they make me itch so bad!

I think here in this part of Tennesse, tick season started early and there is a lot of them.

Willie

Holly's mom
05-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
What exactly are they? I've never heard of them.

I'm assuming they're some sort of bug/insect.

Here's a link with a picture of what they look like:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesSH.asp?curGroupID=4&shapeID=1023&curPageNum=10&recnum=IS0108

They're just nasty, nasty, nasty!!!!!!!!!!!! They can't be killed by crushing or stepping on them, I usually flush them down the toilet. Some people burn them with a match.

trayi52
05-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I do both, whichever is closer. I love burning them and making them suffer!! Flushing down the toliet is good too!

These guys start out small, but once they bite into your dog, they just blow up with blood. Yucky, nasty looking parasites. Thats what they make me think of!

Willie:)

Desert Arabian
05-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I do too! They are terrible. Since my dad and I are in the woods a lot we get loaded with them. It is so disgusting! My dad gets a lymes shot to make sure he doesn 't get lymes disease since he is at extremely high risk of getting it- I am too, but I am too young to get the shot. :eek:

My puppy friend Rosie is a chocolate Lab, manoman, is it hard to find those suckers on her. Brown little bugs on a brown dog- they just don't mix!

Kay, they are little parasites that sit on foliage in the woods waiting for a host to brush them on to their body. They then stick their head in you and suck your blood. You can get really bad diseases from them- lymes disease. Their bodies swell up with blood. You have to remove them carefully, if you pull them out too fast their head rips off, and stays under your skin. Beyond disgusting isn't it!?! Here is a picture:

Engorged wood tick:

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/diaglab/hilites/tick5_7.jpg

There are many different types of ticks: brown, wood, dog, and more. They are all different sizes and some are more dangerous than others.

bluekat
05-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I don't think we have any of those here...but I'm glad we don't. We have all these ants now, and they're so annoying! There's so many of them, we just can't get rid of them all.

Fallon
05-21-2004, 05:00 PM
I've never heard of them either or seen one.. From the picture, they do look pretty sick. I'm glad I've never encountered one and I hope they don't. How awful that you've found them on Holly.

Laura's Babies
05-21-2004, 06:26 PM
GAG! GAG! WHY did I stop and look at this thread!! I HATE them too!!

slleipnir
05-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Ewww. Thankfully, I don't think we have them here, I've never seen any anyway

Dogz
05-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Be thankful that you do not have them there.

Speaking of woodticks, I just found one on my head. :eek:
I am hoping to find something good for the puppers, I find them all the time.

I think this calls for moving. :p

GoldenRetrLuver
05-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Dogz
I think this calls for moving. :p

Mmhmm...you're welcome here anytime! ;)

We don't have Wood Ticks in California. By the responses, I don't think I want them either. :p

YLL, EWWW!! :eek: Those *are* disgusting!

Pam
05-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately we have them here and I hate them too! :mad: Bella came down with Lyme disease through a tick bite about a year ago, but thankfully after a month of antibiotic therapy she was just fine. Now the dogs get the Lyme vaccine as well as Frontline. Actually the ticks were worse last month than this month. I shouldn't say that because I might jinx myself now. :rolleyes:

Corinna
05-21-2004, 11:11 PM
We have deer ticks here they are the ones that can cause Rocky mountain spotted fever. I'm not crazy about them ,luckly they are only in the outer areas not in town .

Kfamr
05-21-2004, 11:14 PM
I HOPE we don't run into those while camping in Ohio! :eek: :( :eek:

Lillycat
06-09-2004, 06:52 AM
cicadas

lynnestankard
06-09-2004, 07:26 AM
SLUGS! AAAAGGGHHHHHH :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lynne

countrycowgirl
06-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
I do both, whichever is closer. I love burning them and making them suffer!! Flushing down the toliet is good too!

LOL WILLIE THAT IS TO FUNNEY

I H-A-T-E TICKS WE GET DEER TICKS AND WHAT WE CALL DOG TICKS THEY ARE GREY AND EVEN WHEN FOUND EARLY STILL GET HUGE .YUCK!!!!

DJFyrewolf36
06-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Ticks are sooo gross ugh I itch when I look at one! We have deer ticks out near the rivers and wooded lakes *pretty much anyplace a Mosquitos habitate, ticks do too around here* I had a tick in my armpit once. Dad tried to burn it to get it to pull out and ended up burning my armpit hair *last time I forget to shave before going into the woods* AND exploding the tick. That was nasty!!!
I HATE ticks ick ick ick!

FizzGiggs_Mommy
06-09-2004, 10:28 AM
I was just diagnosed (sp) with Lyme's Disease yesterday:( I have to take Doxycycline for 3 weeks to get ride of it......So naturally I HATE TICKS!

Cookiebaker
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
I *hate* ticks, too! They can jump pretty far, too! Uggh. I usually freeze them in a plastic bag, and that way I KNOW they are dead. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Yucky, nasty looking parasites. Thats what they make me think of!

Kinda like J-lo???
;)

K9soul
06-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
I *hate* ticks, too! They can jump pretty far, too! Uggh. I usually freeze them in a plastic bag, and that way I KNOW they are dead. :rolleyes:

Are you sure? I read once ticks can live in a state of dormancy in Siberia :o.

I hate them too though, I usually use alcohol to kill them. I still can't get enjoyment from killing or making them suffer though.. they are still only doing what comes natural for their own survival.

PepperRSM
06-09-2004, 05:18 PM
ugh, yes living in MN is a pain...speaking of MN buggers...mosquitos! I hate them! We just started getting them and I have so many bites already. :( and its sooo hard not to scratch them! :o Anyone know any good rememdies to get rid of mosquito bite itch?

MariaM
06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
to get rid of mosquito itch, i use gold bond lotion. it works really well. lol.

And...I was thinking of posting a thread about this too. I absolutely HATE ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Major has had a couply on him, I pulled one off, luckily I think I found it after it had been on, maybe only an hour or so. Not sure, but it wasn't hard to get off. Katherine's dog Hansen, the beatiful golden retriever, had SO many and they were BIG. It was SICK SICK SICK but we burned them all. I think we pulled about 15 off. They are the grossest creature! EW I hate them so much, and enjoy burning them, watching them suffer.

trayi52
06-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeap, Maria, I like making them suffer too. They sure do make our dogs, and even us suffer. The itching is awful when you get one of these ticks on you, I usually puff up, and it really can make an awful sore on you!

I hate ticks, whatever I have to do to kill them, I will do it!! They are so bad here, it is just unreal, and has been bad for months. They are all different sizes, from the size of the tip of a needle to much larger! Yeap, we have them really bad here in this part of Tennessee.

Willie

Pam
06-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

They can jump?? :eek: I always flush mine. I can't imagine them swimming upstream! LOL! :p I read somewhere that they shouldn't be burned. Apparently if they are harboring a disease they might burst and you wouldn't want that junk getting on you! :eek:

K9soul
06-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Hmm I've never seen a tick jump, but I've seen fleas jump :). I've killed plenty of ticks and fleas for the protection of both dogs and people, but I do it quickly. I have no desire to make something suffer. Creatures are only doing what nature tells them they must to survive, and my heart will never take joy in the killing of anything. When it needs to be done, it will be, but I have always been extremely sensitive to the sanctity of all life.

trayi52
06-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Sorry, if I seem cruel, but that is just the way I feel about them. I have never burned one and had it burst either, I use a lighter, and burn the head.

Willie

MariaM
06-09-2004, 10:48 PM
I use a candle:D

K9soul
06-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Sorry, if I seem cruel, but that is just the way I feel about them.

You seem the farthest you can get from being a cruel person in the least. I am always hesitant to speak up on how I feel on this type of thing because it might seem like I'm being contrary or scolding to others but I don't mean to be :). It's just something I can't help in me, I am so sensitive about these things and I actually wish I had a thicker skin about it.

I remember as a kid I came upon some other kids beating on a grasshopper with a stick until it could barely move and was in pretty bad shape and I just burst into horrified tears. I knew well how destructive hoppers can be (to crops and such) but it horrified me that people could make something suffer and get enjoyment from it. The tick thing is different than this because you are killing it for a very good reason for the defense of people and pet alike. It's just when someone says they enjoy the killing of it I can't relate, it just always bothers me to some degree.

Again I wish it wouldn't. I'm just hypersensitive :o

DJFyrewolf36
06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Kinda like J-lo???
;)

J-Lo is a parasite? That would explain a lot actually

wolfie
06-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Where do you people live where there aren't any ticks? I want to move there! We use frontline on our dogs to protect against them - unfortunately though it just kills the tick as soon as it bites - so you find dead ticks in your bed and furniture - pretty gross! But at least we don't have to pick them off them. Poor Cocoa still has scars from where we took ticks off her.

Oh, and deer ticks are the worst! They're so small, they look like a speck of dirt (very hard to find on furry dogs!), and they spred lyme disease - which Daphne got 2 years ago.

Grrr, I wish there was no such thing as ticks!