PDA

View Full Version : Cats Blamed for Starting Kan. House Fire

jonza
05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Here's another little news flash from CNN.

(And to think that we thought Fister was a problem, at least he only opens cupboard doors when we're away!) :D :D

Cats Blamed for Starting Kan. House Fire

LIBERAL, Kan. (AP) - While their owner was away, two cats did play - with fire. Liberal Fire Department investigators said a pair of cats started a fire inside a small southwest Kansas home by jumping onto a stove. Apparently, one of the cats ignited a burner by stepping on a push button.

Material on the stove caught fire, and flames spread to other areas of the kitchen and spread smoke throughout the house. Investigators said the homeowner was out of town, and the fire apparently burned unnoticed for some time.

The cats survived the fire and were being treated at an animal hospital until the owner could pick them up.

kimlovescats
05-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh wow, how scary. Thank God the kitties survived.

Laura's Babies
05-21-2004, 12:41 PM
WOW!!!! How horriablely scared the poor babies must have been!! Thank God they didn't get hurt or worse!

Logan
05-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I heard this on the news, yesterday, and was so surprised! I think my dogs would be much more guilty than my cats!!!! :p

catlover4ever
05-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks for sharing the story....my hubby thinks I'm nuts when we leave for any length of time I take the knows off the stove for fear that one of them may rub against the knob and start the kitchen on fire.....now maybe he will beleive me that things like this can happen.

I'm glad to see that the kitties are OK...that must have been so very scary for them.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Kind of puts all our NAWTEE cats in perspective. Thank goodness no-one was hurt!

kittykay
05-21-2004, 01:29 PM
I always "lock" the stove and unplug the toaster when we leave for the day. I'm afraid those little paws will go exploring in dangerous areas and get burned. Don't leave the clothes washer, dryer, or dishwasher operating when you leave the house either, please! So many things to worry about!

ramanth
05-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Eeks! I've heard of Great Danes bumping the knobs and turning on the burners.

Scary! Glad no one was hurt.

moosmom
05-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Poor babies!! Glad no one was hurt.

Fallon
05-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Of course the owners should've taken precautions especially while they were going to be away for a while. I'm so happy that the kitties survived and are being treated.

catmandu
05-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Thank god , The Cats are OK , and that the Insurance Company , doesnt try , to weasel out of this Claim!I have the feeling that mine , would!

momoffuzzyfaces
05-22-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm glad the cats are ok. My RB cat, Leroy did something very similar. I have a gas range. One day I went into the kitchen and smelled gas. He has stepped on one of the knobs on the range, turning it just enough to turn the gas on, but not enough to light the burner. Ever since, I take the knobs off. I just pop them back on when I use the range. Even though he has been gone for over a year, the others may have learned his trick. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Maybe there is just something about our Kansas cats!:eek:

trayi52
05-22-2004, 12:21 PM
So glad the cats are okay, that is such a scary thought. They could hve died in that fire! :eek:

Willie