PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather doth approach

ramanth
05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Hey guys... just a little freaked out here at work..

We have a real bad storm heading this way.. (picture attached)

I'm not ready for this weather yet....this is July weather.

Pets home alone... we may lose power here. Tornado warning for the county over.

:eek:

Logan
05-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Be safe, Kimmy. I'm going to be thinking of you, constantly, until you check back in.

Logan

ramanth
05-21-2004, 12:07 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

They issued a Tornado Warning saying a tornado had been spotted over Charlotte and is moving towards Eaton Rapids.. (where my parents live)

Dad's not answering the phone...which means he left to into town to get gas for the generator........

freaking otu here....

Kfamr
05-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Oh no! Kimmy, we'll be thinking of you and everyone up there. Keep us updated. :(

ramanth
05-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Skies looking green....lots of thunder and lightning... heavy rain.. but still have power..

I want to go home. My babies need me.
:(

Edwina's Secretary
05-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Kimmy....

It was here earlier and passed through very quickly! Stay calm...

cloverfdx
05-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Stay safe Kimmy and check back in when you can. Prayers coming your way.

ramanth
05-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Just got off the phone with Dad.

He said he just got back home when the tornado sirens went off. The power was already out and the sump pump was close to overflowing. He's got the generator going and he didn't elaborate other to say that the storm blew thru real hard. Not sure if there is any damage but the house is still standing.

:)

It's gray here and a little rainy. The storm should be past Williamston by now.

Thanks for putting up with my 'freaking out' stage. :D

catland
05-21-2004, 02:01 PM
you can freak out here anytime. I can't imagine what its like to live in tornado country.

stay safe everyone.

catlover4ever
05-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by catland
you can freak out here anytime. I can't imagine what its like to live in tornado country.

stay safe everyone.

Your darn right you can freak out here anytime....I too would be scared to death. Glad to hear that your Dad is OK.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Freak away Kimmy! I'm glad you're ok, I just hope there was no damage to your Parents' place. At least your dad was prepared with the generator and all - sounds like an old pro. ;) I'm sure the gang will be happy to see you when you get home too. Poor kitties and Kia. :(

I'm a few miles South of Sara and we just got real black skies and some rain - nothing serious at all, but I could tell other parts of the city were getting it much worse than we were. I do really hate it when the sky gets green. <shudder>

Barbara
05-21-2004, 02:23 PM
I am happy that this one is over for you. I'd freak out too. With all these climate changes you don't know what we'll have to see!

Desert Arabian
05-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I completely understand.

Wisconsin is getting hammered with storm after storm. In the past two weeks we have had 3 dry days. The amount of rain we have been getting is nuts! We just had a huge down pour last night and again this morning. It's really nuts. Some of the storms have been pretty wicked, the lightning shows are unbelieveable. In Kenosha, people had to be rescued in boats from the horrible flooding down there yesterday.

In fact, the news is breaking in with a severe t-storm watch right now as I type.

Yesterday it was 81, today it is 63- that's why we got a nasty storm this morning thanks to the front that rolled in.

Storms are in the forcast for tonight, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

:mad: :mad:

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Glad you to hear you are safe, Kimmy!!!!

ramanth
05-21-2004, 03:21 PM
I saw on the radar that WI was getting hit.

You stay safe too! We've got some flooding on the roads here. I guess the Lakes are rising too.

Desert Arabian
05-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, all the rivers around here are completely overflowed. In fact the Menomonee River near our house is so full that it has completely flooded 40 acres of corn field next to it. :eek:

We are getting way too much rain way too fast. Our backyard floods horribly after it rains! Our backyard is completely shadded too, so on nice warm days the mosquitos are out full force. I can't wait for all of them to come out after all this rain. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Grr!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I guess the Lakes are rising too.

I heard this morning that Lake Michigan and another one (I think it was Lake Huron) are 9" above what they were this time last year, but they are still 14" DOWN from their normal!

So I know we've been getting a lot of rain lately, but we really still need it. I just wish it wouldn't come all at once in those heavy down pours that cause so much flooding.....

And I know it's hard to appreciate when we've been getting so much with such severe storms, but rain really is a good thing. We've got a friend that lives out in Idaho, and Terry's family lives in Denver, and they are just really, really dry out there and that's why they've been hit with so many severe wild fires in the last few years.

Rain is a good thing. :)

ramanth
05-21-2004, 03:48 PM
I wonder if they can scoop it up and ship it to the places that need it. :D

Desert Arabian
05-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Now I am getting really worried. They are covering the weather right now on the news. There is a wicked storm by Madison heading my way. There have been two locations of roation spotted and there is hail. I am really worried about Kate, she is in Madison at UW-Madison. I really hope she is ok. My dad is outside right now cleaning the gutters and our neighbors gutters. The weather man said we are supposed to get about 4 inches of rain from this storm.

Here is a radar image of the storm coming my way and currently affecting Kater:

http://www.governmentguide.com/govsite.adp?bread=*Main&url=http%3A//www.governmentguide.com/ams/clickThruRedirect.adp%3F55076483%2C16920155%2Chttp %3A//www.nws.noaa.gov/

Kfamr
05-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Hope everyone stays safe with that weather.

I HATE thunder/lightning/hurricanes/tornados... bad weather. I don't mind rain... but I'm just terrified of things I said previously. I honestly get so scared when they say a hurricane is coming this way. Not so much about our house, yes I'd be terrified if something happened to it.. but my pets, my family, my friends. We've been lucky.... and I hope it stays that way. :(

Corinna
05-21-2004, 11:33 PM
We have been having rotten weather also but it is rain and wind. We need the rain so we don't have the fires like last 2 years. I heard Spokane Washington had a tornado warning . They never have tornados there. Strange weather patterns are happening.
Glad every one is ok Kimmy I understand. When we were visiting family in Minnasota they had tornado warnings I frecked out never being in any thing like that.

Miss Meow
05-21-2004, 11:55 PM
I hope everything is OK over there.

Please let us know that you're OK - hope the storms pass soon.

Cincy'sMom
05-22-2004, 06:29 AM
we had horrible weather here yesterday too! We went out at lunch time andit was grgeous, sunny skies. An hour later the skies were super dark, with that green look. The kept saiyng on the radio that worst area was "along 475", which is the area we live! I was really afraid for my babies, cause Cincy and Spot hate storms!

When I got home, my mom called and asked if there was anything going on on our street. I said no, but then found out on the news that our neighbor's house( on our street....they are at 2641, we are 2841) , was struck by lightening and it started fire :eek: Lukily, no one was home and the damage was minimal, but I just keep thinking...what if it had been our house? Would the dogs have been able to get out? Scary Stuff!!!

Pam
05-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

our neighbor's house( on our street....they are at 2641, we are 2841) , was struck by lightening and it started fire :eek: been able to get out?

Oh my! That's close!!!! I saw the storm coverage on the Weather Channel. That line of storms was very scary looking! I am so glad everyone is OK today!!!! Our area doesn't get too many tornadoes but we have the hurricanes to worry about from time to time. Stay safe everyone!

ramanth
05-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Wow Amy! I'm glad you guys are okay.

Andy and I went to see Shrek 2 on Sunday and half way thru the film the projector went off and the lights went on. A manager announced that there was a tornado warning for our county but it looked like the tornado would miss the theater.

They continued playing the movie and if people wanted to leave they could get a voucher.

We stayed. Smart? Probably not. :rolleyes: :)

Desert Arabian
05-24-2004, 03:49 PM
We got another nasty storm yesterday. We had 1 1/2 inch hail and pouring rain. The sky was icky green, and all the tornado sirens were going off left and right. I put the cats in their carrier and put them in the basement, and I put the rats in their carrier and placed them next to the cats. I piled really thick blankets next to them incase we had to curl up and huddle for our life. Luckily, nothing actually touched down, except in Madison- there was a tornado in Dane County.

I cannot even begin to tell you how bad it is over here. The amount of rain we have gotten is beyond insane. Every single river in the area is 5 times it's size and there is severe flooding everywhere. They had to shut down I-94 for a while due to flooding, there are school closings, and worst of all there is a 6 year old and 12 year old (sisters) missing- they were swept away by the Milwaukee River, their bodies have not been found yet. Sand bags are getting piled everywhere. I think we have gotten around 15 inches of rain- most likely more. In some areas the water is waist high, the city of Kenosha is under a state emergency because the flooding down there is terrible, people can only get around by boat.

Our yard is so saturated, we are extremely worried about the trees in our yard- any powerful wind- and they will blow over onto the house. Their roots won't be able to hold. All of the trees in our yard are HUGE- all over 150 years old, one of them alone could take out the whole house. We were really nervous yesterday, because there were wind sheers of 70 MPH plus in the area around us.

I want to drive around and take pictures of the river flooding- it's too overwhelming to describe with words- one has to see it with their eyes.

Cincy'sMom
05-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

Andy and I went to see Shrek 2 on Sunday and half way thru the film the projector went off and the lights went on. A manager announced that there was a tornado warning for our county but it looked like the tornado would miss the theater.

Isn't that the best movie!!! We saw it Saturday night :D

Sunday was nasty here too...We went down to Dayton to see a friend and hit some nasty storms around BG on the way home...cars were pulling over on both sides of I-75 (making it extra dangerous...stick to one side!!) It was really weird becusae the lightening was all around us, yet we could hear no thunder. Everytime the sky would look up the rain coming down ahead looked like funnel clouds...it was freaky!! I was so glad the dog were with Ralph's parents and not home alone, cuase Cincy gets so scared, poor thing :(