PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Fish in the same house?

Efrat
11-19-2001, 06:47 AM
We have a problem... we have 4 cats ( 2 adults , 2 kittens)and we just bought a huge fish tank... it was in the house for less than a week , when yesterday, Tsoomi decided he wants to see what's inside... I must say that there are no fish there yet, it was only wather, salt and rocks when he decided to take a swim.
Anyway, he broke a part of it ( not the glass) and got totally wet. He managed to get outside by himself, and thank god wasn't electrecuted from the light that fell inside the water.
Is there anyway we can have both fish and cats in the same house without these things happening again? any ideas? :eek:

wayne0214
11-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Efrat, not seeing what kind of fish tank set up you have, I suggest that you make a wire screen covering over the most accessable parts, to keep your cats out of the tank. From your description, it sounds as though he climbed on top of the tank cover, it collapsed under his weight, and down into the water he went!

............wayne

zippy-kat
11-19-2001, 01:14 PM
Hmm...good question...

I have a 40 gal. tank but the cats don't mess with it.

yorkster
11-19-2001, 03:20 PM
I know that I could never have a fish tank/ bowl in my house with my cats, especially my kitty we call 'the waterboy'. He empties his water dish a couple times a day, and likes to stand inside it when I bring fresh water......not to mention he puts toys, paper, food in his dish also.
I don't know though, maybe if you did screen it off somehow it would work.
You ARE lucky that your cat did not electricute itself!

Pam
11-19-2001, 04:38 PM
This is my cat, Andy, looking into our 65 gallon tank. It is a deep tank, on a large stand, and actually the top of it is probably about 4 1/2 feet off the ground. Neither of my cats has ever jumped up on it (it has a glass top) but there is nothing close by for them to use as "steps." Mostly they just like to look at the action inside. :D Actually when no one is home we usually keep the door closed just so they aren't tempted to get into trouble.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/PZ/1x/4T/MO18349.jpg

thelmalu99
11-19-2001, 04:56 PM
Andy's such a handsome guy! Pam, I love seeing pics of your furkids! :)

Edwina's Secretary
11-19-2001, 05:10 PM
His eyes look so intent, his mouth so determined -- I don't envy the fish! I could just stare at this picture. It defines catdom.

carrie
11-19-2001, 05:26 PM
I have kept fish and cats for many years and never had a problem with them. My tanks are large and have metal lids. As winter comes on again Borris is using the tank in the living room more and more often as a heat pad during the day when there is nobody home (he lies across the lid as the lights keep it lovely and warm). He enjoys eyeballing the fish ( a large Marbled Oscar in this tank) and the fish has just as much fun eyeballing him back! As long as lids are strong and secure you should be fine. If the cat learns to lift the lid a couple of elastic bands should secure it. House plants on the top will love the humidity and warmth and keep the lid shut too but be careful not to block any ventilation holes.

zippy-kat
11-19-2001, 06:22 PM
that is pic is wonderful!! Such a handsome furball!

4 feline house
11-19-2001, 11:07 PM
We have also always had fish and cats - the cats have never paid the slightest attention to the fish tank.

yorkster
11-19-2001, 11:50 PM
Pam, you take the best pictures! I am a novice and still trying to keep from getting the 'red eye' in mine.

Efrat
11-20-2001, 04:51 AM
Thanks for all your suggesions...
Tsoomi Jumped from the kitchen table on top of the fish tank and fell inside after breaking the lead... that's what happened. It's a huge fish tank (1.5 meter wide, 400 liters) Anyway, we found a solution ... We bought a different one that has a much stronger lead, and will not fall and break if and when one of my cats jumps on it. Now we have to find a buyer for the other one...
Hope this will be the end of our problems...

yorkster
11-21-2001, 02:28 AM
Your kitty fell inside??? Poor kitty, but it's also a bit funny- well, now it is anyway. I am just picturing it in my head right now.
I AM glad to hear your kitty is okay though!

BigCharles
11-21-2001, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by yorkster:
<STRONG>I am a novice and still trying to keep from getting the 'red eye' in mine.</STRONG>

Here is the secret to that. Use 400 film and avoid the flash. Red eye is very pronounced with cats due to the way their eyes work.

yorkster
11-21-2001, 05:57 PM
Thanks I'll try that Charles!

Pam
11-21-2001, 06:50 PM
Thank you yorkster. I find that if I don't take the pictures "head on" they work out better. Hubby also does something called a "bounced flash" where the flash goes onto the ceiling instead of into the pet's eyes.

tuxluvr
11-21-2001, 07:12 PM
...and if all else fails, Kodak picture software has a neat redeye remover tool...can hardly tell it was ever there

purrley
11-26-2001, 12:57 PM
Pam - just had a chance to read this topic and wanted you to know that I think your Andy is Exquisite!!! Beautiful white baby. My Braydee is also very white - but his head has a lot of orange in it. As far as the fish tank thing - I guess with cats you can expect the unexpected - that's the fun of having the little critters. I have a Betta fish in a vase with a lily plant in it. The cats don't bother the fish, but the lily plant is continually getting molested :D

wolflady
11-26-2001, 07:17 PM
Hi Andy, Marius here...just hadda say you've gotta mitey nice profile there, bud!!! ;) Any luk with them fishes???=^..^=

Pam
11-26-2001, 07:31 PM
Hey there Marius! It's been a long time since you've been on the pawboard! Nope I never get a chance to get those fishies. They swim right up to me and sometimes I swat at them. That makes them scared and my Daddy Human tells me to knock it off. ;) My mom tells me that I actually do get to eat some of their relatives, though, in my Fancy Feast cans! :D Your Pal, Andy

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments. My plants also get molested so I have given up having them around, and Andy is the plant molester in the family!

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]