PDA

View Full Version : hamster has tumors

guster girl
05-20-2004, 07:01 PM
My little dwarf hamster, Houdini Jingles, has a couple of growths on his body, I'm assuming they're tumors. He's over two years old, and, I know he's considered a senior citizen. I noticed a tumor in his ear a few months ago, and, I think it affects his balance a little. He still runs around and up and down the tubes in his cage like it doesn't affect him, but, he sometimes loses his balance when he's standing still. The growth is bigger than it was when I first noticed it, but, not sure if it's continuing to grow. It's kind of warty looking (cauliflower-ish), and, comes right out of his ear. Not on the ear skin, but, coming out of the inner ear. The one I noticed second is a lump on his left shoulder. It's gotten bigger and has abscessed. I don't know if that's the right word for it, but, I can see red on his shoulder where before I just saw his light colored fur. Anyway, he's not a nice pet, I can't touch him or hold him, but, I don't want him to be in any pain. I can't consider taking him to the vet for the removal of the tumors, because I can't afford to put that kind of money into him, unless my vet can convince me that it's going to save him and it doesn't cost several hundred dollars. I know that may sound harsh, and, I risk being stoned for saying it. But, what I'm asking is if anyone thinks it would be better for him to be put down, I'd like to think he can live out the rest of his days at home with me, but, I want a second opinion. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, he's never had a seizure, he's not acting sluggish, he's eating and drinking, still runs in his ball (I have to trap him to get him into it) and on his wheel, etc. So, anyway, just wanted to ask.

Fallon
05-20-2004, 09:07 PM
I think he should be taken to the vet and taken care of! Even if he may not be acting like he's in pain he still may be. It probably would not cost several hundred dollars and the growths probably could be removed. It sounds a bit bad.. and you even said it seems like he loses his balance sometimes. Do the right thing.

luckies4me
05-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
The one I noticed second is a lump on his left shoulder. It's gotten bigger and has abscessed. I don't know if that's the right word for it, but, I can see red on his shoulder where before I just saw his light colored fur.

If it is an infection it is not a tumor. An abscess is an abscess, not a tumor. I would suggest taking him into the vet to determine what exactly the lumps are. Hamsters are prone to warts too, and it could also be a cyst. They can test the area to determine whether or not it's cancer. Surgery probably wouldn't be an option since he is older and such a small animal.

guster girl
05-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
If it is an infection it is not a tumor. An abscess is an abscess, not a tumor. I would suggest taking him into the vet to determine what exactly the lumps are. Hamsters are prone to warts too, and it could also be a cyst. They can test the area to determine whether or not it's cancer. Surgery probably wouldn't be an option since he is older and such a small animal.

That's why I was saying I didn't know if abscess was the right word or not. I am going to take him to the doctor, but, I am not able to right now. That one in his ear does look like a wart. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and see what she says. I know she has a lot of rats for patients, so, hopefully, she'll be able to do something with the hamster. Thanks for the info.

guster girl
05-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Fallon
It probably would not cost several hundred dollars

and, I thought I remembered someone saying here that growths and tumors were expensive to have removed, that's why I said that.

luckies4me
05-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
and, I thought I remembered someone saying here that growths and tumors were expensive to have removed, that's why I said that.

Yep, they are very costly. Even if you could afford the cost of surgery you will need to ask your vet if it is worth putting him under.

guster girl
05-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Yep, they are very costly. Even if you could afford the cost of surgery you will need to ask your vet if it is worth putting him under.

That's what I figured. I just assumed because he's so small and so up there in hamster years, that it probably wouldn't be feasible to have him go into surgery for removal. Tell me what the point of having them tested to see what they are would be if I wouldn't have them removed? I'm not trying to be a smart alec, just wondering. THat's why I was asking if it would just be better to have him put down. I know it's been stated that he may be in pain, even though he still acts completely normal, but, I'd rather just have him home with me so he can just pass in his familiar surroundings when the time is right.