PDA

View Full Version : getting your dogs groomed

Amber
05-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I have a question. Elvis's first grroming is June 14.

My question is He has to go in at 8:30 and we pick him up at 3:30

I know they have to bathe, brush, dry, ect.....

Why soooooooo long??

wolf_Q
05-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Where I work we try to get dogs done in 2-4 hours (for a fairly normal condition dog...I'm not going to get a matted newfoundland done in that amount of time). But we bring dogs in and have dogs leave all throughout the day. Some grooming salons bring *all* the dogs for the day in the morning and have them all done by a certain time. That's probably what the grooming salon you are going to does.

It's all dependent on how busy of a salon they are and how many groomers they have. For the most part a groomer does not clip/bath/dry one dog an entire time. Usually we do a pre-bath clip/brushout (if needed), then bath and then let them sit in a cage dryer (unless they are a breed that requires hand drying) while we start on other dogs...after they are dry and we get a chance then we do the final clipping/brushing and they are done. That's what people do not understand...NO it doesn't take that long to groom one dog, but when you have 5-10+ dogs you have to get done it does take that long. Make sense at all? ;)

Amber
05-20-2004, 02:36 PM
okay Thanks Amy! Yeah, I didn't realise the other dogs they need to do.

Thanks! :D

DogLover9501
05-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Piddle also goes to the groomer and is there all day, getting his haircut stresses him out ALOT he once broke a blood vessel in his eye from stress when he was there.

So lately we bath him first and stuff, so he doesn't have to be there so long, but 7 hours?? I don't think he's ever been that long!

Amber
05-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Aww poor piddles..

Hey, Don't they give them little bandannas when they leave?

DogLover9501
05-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Some give them little bandanas, others give them bows, Even Piddle had bows lol being a boy, he just had blue bows, but even blue bows aren't for boys :p

Amber
05-20-2004, 03:49 PM
awww!! I hope they give elvis something! :D

SandraDee
05-20-2004, 04:13 PM
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but there is an alternative to taking your dog to a busy dog grooming salon. There are people starting to groom from their own homes now, like myself. You may want to check your local yellow pages or newspaper and see if there is anyone in your area. I am in a rural area, so my clientelle is very small, but it allows me to spend one on one time with the dog and the stress level is minimal compared to a busy shop. Just an idea! Good luck! I usually hand out bandanas to the boys and either a bandana or bows to the girls.