PDA

View Full Version : What do you collect?

sirrahbed
05-20-2004, 11:19 AM
This may have been done before...but here goes. Do you guys collect anything? I collect angels but my oldest and favorite collection is little boxes. My first was a little jewelry box lined with velvet that my grandmother gave me when I graduated highschool in 1972. Since then I have LOTS of little boxes:D Crystal, wood, cork, porcelain like Kaiser and Villeroy & Boch, Wedgewood, marble, one olivewood from the Holy land, marble, laser cut, fabric, home-made from my children, kitty themes, enamel, etc. Just love them all! Each holds a memory!!!
Here is a partial collection pic:
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/boxes.jpg

Can you show us YOUR collection or tell us about it? (besides kitties, of course!:D )

slick
05-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I have a magnificent collection of sweet little dust-bunnies.... (don't know if this counts....:D )
Seriously I do have a collection of cats and everytime someone I know travels, they bring me back a little kitty to add. It's a dusting nightmare.

catlover4ever
05-20-2004, 11:48 AM
I collect Calico Kittys, Mary Moo Moo's, cat figurines, cat plates, and of course COWS!!!! (see pictures for cows)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pe38d3332e0200bf72a800072831229d4/f9e19aec.jpg

sirrahbed
05-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by slick
I have a magnificent collection of sweet little dust-bunnies.... (don't know if this counts....:D )
I knew it!!:D We HAVE had this thread before! Slick collects dustbunnies and CCL collects fur on her clothes:rolleyes:
NO NO NO these do not count as collections ...we ALL have these :D :D :D
Now be serious and play nice like Meg!:p

kimlovescats
05-20-2004, 11:54 AM
I collect decorative plates ... I love them. Not sure if I have any pics or not ... let me check.

kimlovescats
05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
A few more...

sirrahbed
05-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Beautiful plates Kim!!! I love dishes of all kinds myself! Since we traveled so often in the military, I was able to see so many beautiful sets of dishes, but decided to just get dinner plates instead of sets since that is really all we usually use sooo:o I have like 11 sets of dinner plates! I have one funny story about my dish collection I have to tell! Did anyone see the movie "Out of Africa"? There is a scene where they are packing up Meryl Streep's character and she has Limoges dishes (expensive and french) and she is frantically saying "oh oh! my Limoges! my Limoges!"
Well, when we lived in Germany, we traveled down to France and I bought ONE teacup, saucer and luncheon plate in Limoges - just to say I have some "Limoges". When the German packers were packing me up, I was teasing them and went through my Meryl Streep act and the whole "oh oh, my Limoges!" and guess the guy had seen the movie!! When I got back stateside I opened a huge box - big enough for a whle set of dishes - it was full of paper and I thought it was empty! But, there nestled in the very center - was.......
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/limoges.jpg
MY Limoges!!!

catcrazylady
05-20-2004, 12:48 PM
I dont' think it's fair that you won't let me use my furball collection! You know I have a bunch of them in lots of different colors. Heck, you even sent me one in the mail, remember?!

I'm counting my furball collection. They come in many shapes and sizes with a wide variety of colors. I have been collecting them for many years now. My favorites are the ones that come floating down from the ceiling fans. They have the most unique shape that adds such interest! I collect and store all my furballs in a nice container that is sealed shut but on occasion I do open it up and admire my collection.There have been several times that I had to replace the sealed container because it just couldn't handle such a large collection.
Hubby isn't fond of my furballs but I just keep accumulating them. I try to make sure he doesn't find too many so I put them under the bed, under the couch, and tucked neatly in every corner. I haven't been able to hide the ceiling fan furries from him as they just seem to like to float about in his presence. I have tried to convince him that the floaters are fur fairies! Anyway, I'm proud of my collection even if no one else really wants to see it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

sirrahbed
05-20-2004, 12:59 PM
OK CCL, since it is my thread, I will allow your furrball collection.:D (including the one you don't even know you are wearing on your back at this very moment!:eek:) )YES, and I also love the fur collection that falls like snow in a dome when you start the ceiling fans. There is also the collection that sticks to my freshly lotioned face and lips when I get into bed at night and Dylan has recently vacated my pillow!
So YES, furrballs count:p
So how about a picture of your nice multicolor collection. hmmm?

kimlovescats
05-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Debbie your Limoges is very pretty! I love dishes too! For years my mother collected cup and saucer sets everywhere we travelled. You know the ones with oranges all over them from Florida, etc??? :rolleyes: :D

trayi52
05-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I collect old dolls, I have so many different ones. I have one that is dated in the 1800's. I tried to find that one that Donna said she used to have, funny I don't have that one.

Donna, do you know what year she came out, and what company made her?

I collect Santa Clause figurines, I just love Santa Claus! I collect bunny rabbit figurines too, and little bears. And I seem to have a lot of computers and spare parts laying around too, just didn't realize I was collecting them.

Willie:)

sirrahbed
05-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Debbie your Limoges is very pretty! I love dishes too! For years my mother collected cup and saucer sets everywhere we travelled. You know the ones with oranges all over them from Florida, etc??? :rolleyes: :D
Well, for being such a "world traveler..I have never lived west of Omaha!! (in the US:rolleyes: ) New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nebraska, Michigan, South Dakota, Louisiana, Texas, Ohio......

RedHedd
05-20-2004, 01:34 PM
OK I know I can admit this here .... I collect Mishi's whiskers! They are SO long and when he loses them they're easy to spot. I think I have about half a dozen right now sitting on my dresser.

jazzcat
05-20-2004, 01:40 PM
I collect elephants, well I used to but once my curio cabinet was crammed packed I decided it was time to start a new collection. Now I'm into cat things.

Laura's Babies
05-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't you know that since I am a cook, I collect kitchen stuff! I LOVE Jewel Tea Autum Leaf China. It started when I got my Mom's nesting bowls when she died. I had admired them every since I can remember and hoped that someday, they would be mine. Most of what I have, my sister got me for birthdays and Christmas's. My collection is small but I am SO proud of it.. If anyone here has any they want to get rid of..I have room for it!!

Also in my collection are 2 bun warmers (old ones), I love them and always have, since I was a child. (giving away my age here)

I also have a few pieces of Kromex, a Retro Cannister set that is beautiful..

At Flea Markets and used stores, I am drawn to the OLD kitchen stuff, just can't help myself!!!

Some of my Jewel Tea and one of the bun warmers.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p2848cb25b57cf1c22e007353ee64cff1/f89a0f09.jpg

jazzcat
05-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
Wouldn't you know that since I am a cook, I collect kitchen stuff! I LOVE Jewel Tea Autum Leaf China. It started when I got my Mom's nesting bowls when she died. I had admired them every since I can remember and hoped that someday, they would be mine. Most of what I have, my sister got me for birthdays and Christmas's. My collection is small but I am SO proud of it.. If anyone here has any they want to get rid of..I have room for it!!

Some of my Jewel Tea and one of the bun warmers.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p2848cb25b57cf1c22e007353ee64cff1/f89a0f09.jpg

Laura, my mother has, okay that was hard, had those dishes and said that she had heard they may be antiques now. Last year she gave me a lidded casserole dish like on your bottom shelf. She also has the tea pitcher and used it regularly for tea. My sis-in-law about died when she was that mom used it almost everyday and told her to put it away but mom said it was for tea - period. She had a platter and a few other pieces that my dad broke over the years.

She also had (and it's probably at the house somewhere) a silver bun warmer like that. It has black handles on the side and a black handle on the lid which turns to vent. It used to have some kind of black design around it but it had worn off over years of use. My brother and I used to call it the space capsule because it looked so similar to things NASA used on the moon.

It's really neat to see all the pieces you have.

neko1
05-20-2004, 06:26 PM
I collect anything with cats on it especially abyssinians, and I also collect whiskers. I have a whisker box that has at least 100 in there.

rg_girlca
05-20-2004, 06:49 PM
I collect anything to do with Tigers. I love them.
I even have one adopted from the World Wildlife Foundation.

todd
05-20-2004, 09:17 PM
POST CARDS

RedHedd
05-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by neko1
I also collect whiskers. I have a whisker box that has at least 100 in there. I know I need to get a little box for Mishi's whiskers. They're so cute, but I've already lost one.

leslie flenner
05-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Does wishing you collect certain things count when you can't afford it but would if you could? Fiesta Ware, Shaker baskets, I do have a collection of antique photos including a box full of tintypes, I have antique tins, a doll that belonged to my grandmother (190-something) but only her so that's not a collection... what if you just have a collection of mics. antique junk? does that count as a collection? Jan just gave me an antique Victoria pie plate stand. But I guess I need more of those too----Like i said, what about a collection of "junk" that is going to be worth something one day? Ok, I know I'm stretching it here!! Just wanted to be part of the conversation!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-21-2004, 06:21 AM
I collect:

Swarovski Crystal
Limited Edition Montblanc Fountain Pens
South African Limited Edition Proof Gold Coins
Shot / Tot Glasses from everywhere we visit or go on vacation

My hubby collects watches and scale-model Harley Davidsons

I WANT to start collecting Clarice Cliff porcelain, but havent found any nice pieces I can afford at the moment!!

Also in my kitchen I have loads of tins (they sometimes have items packed in tins instead of the regular boxes, and I always buy those)

and TONS of cat stuff - some I bought for myself, but other peopLE also buy me cat stuff for pressies!

catmandu
05-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Little Cat Figurines , stuuffed Cats and Cat Photos , of older Cats , that are years old!

sirrahbed
05-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by neko1
I have a whisker box that has at least 100 in there.
WOW!!!:eek: Neko and RH, since I collect boxes and YOU collect whiskers - would you like a BOX to collect your whiskers in??? Send me your snail and I will part with one just for each of you!!

nibblets
05-21-2004, 10:28 AM
I collect
-Lenox 'Lynn Bywaters' Snowpeople.
-Santa Claus figurines. I buy at least one every Christmas season.
-Hard Rock Cafe 'City' Guitar Pins
-Homies (little figures from gumball machines)
-and my favorite...cute and 'different' cat figurines and items. (my co worker gave me a 'cat food can scooper' with a little cat head on the end of the handle...it's so 1960's and will be great for my collection. I love it!)
-small Buddhas

I used to collect Hallmark ornaments, but I got too too too many and decided to phase out the collecting as of 2000. (thats 2000 the year...but I probably have about 2000 ornaments if I counted them.

aki
05-21-2004, 12:07 PM
You're gonna laugh.....But I collect vintage 70' dinnerware & kitchen accessories. I have entire collection of the heavy brown plates with black designs on them with matching bowls and cups. I also have the tan ones with the starburst pattern in the middle in orange. I also have the two tone brown and tan coffee mugs. Every time I go scavenging for vintage stuff, I have someone tell me, "Oh my. I got that same set for a wedding gift in 1972." I also collect the woven straw trivets from the 70's that are many colors and usually all swirly and cool. I think I was born in the wrong era! I also love cat stuff and nautical.

Edwina's Secretary
05-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I have a number of Limoges boxes! Mostly food but one that is a gray cat!

rosethecopycat
05-21-2004, 01:06 PM
I collect what you might see in a souvenir shop along with the tiny spoons, timbles and shot glasses.

But, I might add that I dare say I have the worlds largest, most ridiculous colletion of:

BIG PENCILS! (the 15 inch type)

I have over 50 countries, and that takes a lot of travel.

:p

kittykay
05-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I collect Muffy Vanderbears (a really cute little plush bear who believes that the best way to have fun is to dress up for it). I have to protect them from Dinah Lee, my pesky girlcat, because she will swoop down on one of them, run and hide with it and then CHEW IT UP!! WHAT a BAD GIRL! It's lucky I love her more than my Muffy collection!

Fox-Gal
05-21-2004, 02:04 PM
I collect antique's from the early 1800's, anything as small as a thumble to as big as bed. If it's early 1800's, puritan pieces mostly, I'll buy it. :D

Also antique Aunt Jamima pieces, I have shelfs full of them, cookie jars, salt and pepper shakers, cast iron figures etc etc etc.

Like my husband says if it's old "junk" I want it. :D

And frogs, I like frogs, they are so cute. :) before all my kittens came along, my back porch was wall to wall frogs. They are now in boxes till the day I get my screen porch back, if I ever do.

The husband collects anything to do with RX-7's and rotary, so we got a odd looking home, with my antiques and his car stuff. :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
06-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Mother's Day brought me TWO more boxes from my kids:D Here they are!
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/newboxes.jpg
The first is two little birds eating seed spilling from a flower pot and is so detailed! Inside is printed Just as God sends the birds an abundance of seeds, He sends us His blessings and cares for our needs.,but my camera just will not pick up the detail. Sirrahved and Jason got these for me.
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/mishiwhisker.jpg
Here is one from my original collection that I sent to Mishi - one of the largest I had - to hold his whiskers but still not quite large enough! But, RedHedd curls them a bit to make them fit!

Any other collections??

RedHedd
06-10-2004, 04:00 PM
:eek: I owe you pictures, Debbie! Because the box is clear, it's hard to get a good shot. Mishi's whiskers look so cute in the box.

DJFyrewolf36
06-10-2004, 04:05 PM
I collect figurines made of every type of material. I mean everything from bone (I have a eagle made from a cows horn, and an armadillo too) to pewter (I have TONS of pewter statues) to even mushroom (Ive got a pair of finches in a nest, the finches are dried shaped and painted mushrooms!) I'll post pix when I borrow my mums camera :) I also collect digital art *art made on the computer*

I've attached an example

I have a good 800 or more pix of just this type. I like this pic but I have waaay better ones...at home of course!