PDA

View Full Version : Help...is this normal?

thelmalu99
11-12-2001, 12:03 PM
Ok - Elvis did something very embarrassing yesterday, and I'll try to describe it as tactfully as possible.
I was laying on the floor on my stomach, and he climbed up onto the small of my back. I thought it was cute, as my first cat, Sydney, used to like to nap on my back. Well, Elvis kept moving around, and when I looked over my shoulder at him, he was kind of squatting. I turned over to get him off of me because I thought he was going to use me as a litterbox or something.
As it turned out, he was trying to relieve himself in another way. :eek: I know that dogs do this, even after they're neutered. I had a friend whose dog would always jump on people's legs. It was really quite embarrassing.
Anyway, this happened twice yesterday. Is it normal for neutered male cats to do this? I have never seen or heard of a cat that did. Does anybody know about this?

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

purrley
11-12-2001, 12:14 PM
LOL my gosh ThelmaLu - I thought cats were more subtle about this - Can't say I've ever seen one of my cats do this - Spence is really subtle and quite about it - but I always know when it happens :D :D Now I've thought about it I think I might have misunderstood your post at first - now are you trying to say that Elvis was trying to grab the nap of your neck????
:D

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

thelmalu99
11-12-2001, 12:30 PM
No no, I don't mean he was trying to urinate on me. Purrley's on the right track. He didn't try to grab the nape of my neck, though. :o
Let me explain further: when I got him off me, I realized that he was in an aroused state. :eek:

purrley
11-12-2001, 12:33 PM
Thelmalu - LOL, LOL - pardon the laughter, but I can't say my boys have ever behaved this way - guess they just don't find me very attractive :D :D :D

Former User
11-12-2001, 12:43 PM
Sounds hilarious... :D but I don't think it's abnormal. At least he trusts you since he was planning on...you know. Anyways, I don't think you have nothing to worry, but if he keeps on doing it constantly, then you better take him to the vet and make sure from them that he's fine.

tmckay
11-12-2001, 12:47 PM
I've never had Otie do this to me, but on occasion, he will try to "hump" Mir. He is neutered and she is spayed. He is the first and only male cat I have had so I don't know if this is normal behavior or not.

wolflady
11-12-2001, 01:47 PM
Thelma, OMG OMG!! LOL LOL...that is too wierd!! I don't think I've seen any neutered male cats do that either! :eek: My Marius got on my lower back one time and started making bread...it felt really good...like a massage, then he curled up and laid down, but that was all. Nothing strange...was he trying to show dominance???

thelmalu99
11-12-2001, 03:04 PM
Wow, I guess this is not normal, then. I didn't think so.
I was telling my friend and she was cracking up as well. I guess it is kinda funny.
If he continues, though, I'm going to call the vet and ask what the story is. I think I'll contact the shelter I got him from and ask her if she's sure he's neutered. I can't believe that they would put him up for adoption without making sure he's a neutered cat. :confused:

purrley
11-12-2001, 03:10 PM
Thelmalu - look under the tail - two very important ball like body parts should be missing - if he's neutered that is :D

Former User
11-12-2001, 03:37 PM
Purrley... http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/roflmao.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/roflmao.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/roflmao.gif

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Casper & Kitty ]

zippy-kat
11-12-2001, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by purrley:
<STRONG>Thelmalu - look under the tail - two very important ball like body parts should be missing - if he's neutered that is :D</STRONG>

ROFLOL--Ok, I'm going to embarass myself ... :o As a lil' girl, I had my Tom kitty on my lap (this was pre-'noodled' aka pre-neutered)---ANYWAYZ...I noticed the aforemention body parts that Purrley described for us. Not knowing any better, I grabbed them and hollared "HEY MOM! WHAT ARE THESE?!" LOL :o :o :o

aguu
11-12-2001, 03:56 PM
Thelmalu - maybe it was the music that put him in the mood - have you been playing "Parachutes" again? null :) :D

Former User
11-12-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat:
<STRONG>Not knowing any better, I grabbed them and hollared "HEY MOM! WHAT ARE THESE?!" LOL :o :o :o</STRONG>

Argh, HELP! This is hilarious....LOL LOL
:D :D :D :D

thelmalu99
11-12-2001, 04:01 PM
Purrley,
LOL, I have. Looks like he's neutered to me, but I don't know...maybe he's got really small ones?!
Anyway, I have no idea. I just thought I'd cover my bases and check everything. :)

thelmalu99
11-12-2001, 04:05 PM
Aguu,
LOL! Maybe that's it! I played Parachutes the other day, lit some candles, burned some incense, poured some wine...
Maybe I'm giving him the wrong idea. ;)

yorkster
11-12-2001, 04:09 PM
I don't know about it being 'normal' or not- I have two male cats, and that has never happened. However, a male friend of mine at work had this happen with his cat. In his case though it went a bit........how do I say this? It went further before he realized what happened. Let's just say that the cat was a bit........damp.
In a strange kind of way it means he is content and relaxed!

sasvermont
11-12-2001, 04:13 PM
My guess is that he liked the scent of your body and maybe his hormones haven't decreased as much as you had hoped. I read somewhere that it takes several months for their hormones to regulate to the surgery. How old is this guy? He sounds as though he needs a date! Good luck! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Thelmalu...maybe he heard about or saw your Webshots? The ones where you have to be 18 to look???? ;) ;)

AmberLee
11-12-2001, 05:20 PM
Oh Thelma (and Edwina's secty!),

ROTFL!

wolflady
11-12-2001, 05:40 PM
LOL LOL LOL This is just getting too funny...Zippy, you're a riot!! :o

catwoman
11-12-2001, 10:28 PM
Spotted in the NY-Times "personals" section today:

SMOK (Single Male Orange Kitty) seeks female companionship. "Purr-furs" same species, but isn't picky about it. :eek: All responses welcome ... ;)

ROFL, Thelma! I've heard that redhead guys like brunettes! :D :D

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: catwoman ]

4 feline house
11-12-2001, 10:50 PM
Thelma, this is not a totally-unheard-of behavior. Many neutered cats will still try to mount a female in season. Just like humans, a cat's sex hormones are not manufactured solely in the testacles, therefore there are always some male hormones coursing through their bodies. You probably had some perfume on or something that struck a chord with him.

thelmalu99
11-13-2001, 10:15 AM
LOL!! You're all too funny! http://bbs2.fanforum.com/images/smilies/LOL.gif

I received a reply from the lady from the shelter this morning and she assured me that this is not abnormal behavior. She also had jokes, though!
http://bbs2.fanforum.com/images/smilies/LOL.gif

sasvermont
11-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Thelmalu, have you had anymore encounters of the furry kind? I figured you probably won't put your self in that "position" again. Hope your kitty gets his hormones under control soon! I personally have never had the problem with any of my kitties, although it makes sense to me that from time to time, kitties get ... well have urges... that get out of control. I have heard of situations with dogs, but never cats. Oh well. You live and learn! The story was quite amusing and the replies, well, they were precious! Good luck with your boy!

:eek: :eek: :confused:

Pam
11-13-2001, 07:16 PM
Thelmalu I read the post Spencer started under "Does one gender seem more affectionate than the other?" Yorkster posted "after today we can say that Thelma's male kitty is the most affectionate." I didn't understand the reference until now!! http://plauder-smilies.com/lol2.gif

DONNA426
11-14-2001, 10:49 AM
I just joined this group and I must say I am glad I did. I sure enjoyed all the laughs this morning. I have a male and female cat and never have had this happen. Well, once I wasn't quite sure what my male was up to. ;) but now I will be aware.
Aren't cats the neatest thing to have !!!

charliecat
11-14-2001, 11:08 AM
Hi there,

Well, it may not be normal, but my cat also has this rather...unusual...habit. According to my friend who's worked at several vet clinics, it may just be a learned behavior from before he was neutered, that he associates with being happy....really, really happy. My sex fiend cat is about two years old, so maybe he'll grow out of it??

AdoreMyDogs
11-14-2001, 12:00 PM
I have been a member of POTD for over a year now and I do believe this is the most hilarious topic I have ever come arcoss :)

You all are making me ROTFLMAO! http://www.plauder-smilies.com/rofl.gif I keep going back to this topic and starting from the top and reading every single word of every single post...get such a kick out of this whole topic :D Although I love kitties, I have never had a cat like me that much :eek: .

wolflady
11-14-2001, 01:22 PM
LOL LOL close "encounters of the furry kind"! What a riot!!! :D :D

yorkster
11-14-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by charliecat:
<STRONG>Hi there,

Well, it may not be normal, but my cat also has this rather...unusual...habit. According to my friend who's worked at several vet clinics, it may just be a learned behavior from before he was neutered, that he associates with being happy....really, really happy. My sex fiend cat is about two years old, so maybe he'll grow out of it??</STRONG>

yes Charlie, that is what my friends vet told him- that it is closely related to beong VERY happy and content (like cats get when they nead, & purr-purr-purr).
As far as growing out of it......I don't know.

Helen
11-15-2001, 03:57 AM
This is a bit embarrassing as well, but hope no-one's offended.

My first cat, Oliver, (ginger boy, neutered) also used to enjoy certain "manly" pleasures. One day, one of my sons (he was about six at the time), noticing Olly's obvious delight in himself, asked me quite innocently, what the little pink pimple was! Not much of a confidence-boosting comment, I thought.

purrley
11-15-2001, 07:07 AM
And Helen - did you then give your son a lesson on the birds and the bees???? :D

charliecat
11-15-2001, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by yorkster:
<STRONG>

yes Charlie, that is what my friends vet told him- that it is closely related to beong VERY happy and content (like cats get when they nead, & purr-purr-purr).
As far as growing out of it......I don't know.</STRONG>

oh well...maybe I should be flattered? &lt;g&gt; :p

NoahsMommy
11-15-2001, 03:47 PM
This is such a funny post! Poor thelmalu, I bet you could have died when you found out what Elvis was doing!

I had to call my hubby and tell him, we both agreed NOT to tell Noah... :D

thelmalu99
11-15-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy:
<STRONG>I had to call my hubby and tell him, we both agreed NOT to tell Noah... :D</STRONG>

I agree that it's probably best not to give Noah any ideas. Those orange kitties can get pretty fresh sometimes!

Yes, I was absolutely mortified when I realized what he was up to. I tried to let him down easy, though. Didn't want him to think I don't appreciate his affections. I let him know that, even though I think he's very attractive, I prefer to date within my own species. I mean, what would my family think?!? :eek:

4 feline house
11-15-2001, 06:50 PM
Yes, it's hard to broach the idea of a mixed marriage to family......

yorkster
11-16-2001, 02:07 AM
Elvis is pretty cute though!

alexnell
11-16-2001, 04:44 AM
As for growing out of it...

My feline pervert, Napoleon, has been stealing my sweaters and doing x-rated things to them since he was 6 months old. He's beens neutered for 11 years now and shows no signs of slowing down his romantic exploits.

Sorry to dash your hopes.

sasvermont
11-16-2001, 06:04 AM
Years ago, when I was a teenager, we had two female dogs - spayed - and they would mount each other etc. etc. in the back yard, infront of the entire neighborhood and my Mom would go wild, yelling at them, calling them stupid names and they of course, would not stop. It never bothered me as I thought of it as being part of nature. One other time, I was also approached by an altered male dog when I was on the floor playing with him.... I learned my lesson quickly. The cat thing, well, so far I have been lucky. Isn't Mother Nature WONDERFUL? :eek:

tuxluvr
11-18-2001, 08:34 AM
Right before we had Ritz spayed, she had gone into her first heat - which included one potentially embarrassing attempt to get her mirror image to mate with her. She had jumped up on my dresser, saw herself in the mirror, started the UNMISTAKABLE meeeroooowwring, and stood with her "behind" firmly planted, raised and poised at the mirror. She would then look around tomake sure that "other cat" was still there.

It was all the incentive I needed to get this veterinary milestone behind us! Since then, she has no interest whatsoever in "alice in the lookinglass".

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: tuxluvr ]

Ila
11-18-2001, 09:01 AM
I have had several cats and I have never had one of them do this. I am sorry but I think it is so funny!! Also I don't think it is normal.Quite funny!!!

lbaker
11-18-2001, 11:11 AM
tuxluvr, just the mind picture of the "cat through the looking glass" :eek: is too, too funny :D And I thought MY guys were weird :p :p
laurie

zippy-kat
11-18-2001, 12:32 PM
Our Tinker spent her first Christmas in the Garage! (well...not all of it...but you get the idea)
She would be fine until dad came home from work then she would CALL to my dad, roll around to entice him, etc etc...Very funny but very annoying b/c she would NOT quit! And if he started talking to her, she would "assume the position." :o

tuxluvr
11-18-2001, 02:23 PM
LOL ..."ASSUME THE POSITION" exactly!! Hey I read a quote somewhere "If it didn't feel so good, none of us would be here!"

AvaJoy
11-18-2001, 08:55 PM
This topic is just toooo hilarious! :D :D

As for checking under the tail to be sure of neutering, that made me ponder . . . my ginger boy Meeshe is supposedly neutered, but he still has perfect cottonballs there . . . exactly WHAT is the procedure, and aren't the cottonballs supposed to look shriveled up or at least a little smaller?? :o I seem to remember previous neutered cats I've had with not much of anything protruding there after surgery . . . :confused: That was years ago, so maybe the surgical procedure has advanced to where the testicles are left intact and not at all deformed? Or . . . were my previous males butchered?!! :rolleyes:

Well, until I know for sure I got (or should I say Meeshe lost) what I paid for, I'm not going to be on the floor anytime soon when Meeshe is nearby! :eek:

4 feline house
11-18-2001, 11:25 PM
Avajoy, in the "olden days" males were castrated, so there would be nothing left. Nowadays, the seminiferous tubes are removed but the scrotum remains intact, so the cotton balls are simply ballettes. It's safer as no stitches are required (in cats and small dogs) and the bleeding is minimal. If he were still intact, you would know it by his behavior!

thelmalu99
11-19-2001, 10:30 AM
Avajoy, with my first two cats, Sydney and Charlie, I took them to be neutered and I thought their "cotton balls" (lol!) looked smaller after the procedure.
Elvis and Danny were both already neutered when I adopted them, so I don't know what they looked like before. I guess they look kind of small, like with the first cats, but again, I wasn't sure so I decided to contact the lady from the shelter and ask her if she was sure that Elvis had been neutered. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
11-19-2001, 11:01 AM
Saturday I was at the hairdresser and this woman and her mother were there. The had a cat in a carrier (daughter had found the cat and he was on his way to get snipped.)

Anyway, I got into a cat conversation with the mom who told me she had brother and sister cats.

Only problem is the brother will get on her lap and after a bit of kneading he gets aroused. OMG...I told her there had been just such a conversation thread on Pet Talk! She was relieved to know her cat's behavior was not totally weird.

Logan
11-19-2001, 11:36 AM
The mirror image comment is hilarious! Thank goodness, neither of mine show any inclination towards that now. But when I had ShrimpBoat, she started going into heat often, and there I was with a cat I wasn't supposed to have in my apartment, and she would HOWL :eek: and when my fiance (and later husband) was there, she would climb on him and put her rear end right in his face!! :o It was horrible!!! But she LOVED him, only when she was in heat!!! LOL! I just knew I would come home to find every male cat in the city lined up on my balcony because of those mournful howls. We took care of that problem quickly, believe me!!!! :)

wolflady
11-19-2001, 12:01 PM
My Marius has those "cotton balls" too. I was thinking the same thing about having them completely removed because you can't see any remnants on my parent's male cat Socks, but I guess that's because my Marius got a different neuter procedure??
Ok, I have to add to these silly stories. My family's family dog, Misty (rainbow bridge) had a tendency to 'mount' the neutered male cat Socks every now and then, and my parents would get all disturbed and discourage that behavior. I just thought it wierd because Misty was FEMALE!!???!!! LOL LOL It was especially embarassing when guests were over...poor Socks would just try to slink away! :rolleyes: :eek: :o ;)

AvaJoy
11-19-2001, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Leah S:
<STRONG>Avajoy, in the "olden days" males were castrated, so there would be nothing left. Nowadays, the seminiferous tubes are removed but the scrotum remains intact, so the cotton balls are simply ballettes. It's safer as no stitches are required (in cats and small dogs) and the bleeding is minimal. If he were still intact, you would know it by his behavior!</STRONG>

Thanks for bringing me up to speed, Leah!
:) This poses another question: suppose a male rescue cat is presented to a vet, history unknown. Can the vet visually determine if he has already been neutered? Probably a silly question, but I am just curious. When I rescued Meeshe, I noticed his "package" and immediately assumed he was in need of neutering, but . . . I could have been wrong . . . his behavior has always been docile. Hmmmmm.

yorkster
11-19-2001, 11:54 PM
thanks avajoy.......I was wondering about that too. I rescued a male kitty over the weekend and he definately had the equipment, so I assumed he was not neutered. Now maybe I'm not sure.

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2001, 09:13 AM
My brother is a vet. Many years ago...when he was still in vet school... my mother wanted him to neuter her new male kitty. Albert was a little young for the surgery but my brother was heading back so it needed to be done. Fortunately I am not too sensitive as my brother began to neuter the cat on the kitchen table and I had not yet finished my breakfast.
The point of the story is to the question of whether parts are removed or just the vas cut. At least I can say how it was done 20 years ago. After he was done I noticed a couple of VERY small white balls in alcohol in one of my mother's salad dishes :eek: His explanation ...which I remember to this day... was "doctors don't clean up after themselves!"

catwoman
11-20-2001, 10:27 AM
Did you know you can actually PURCHASE little white gel balls (in different sizes) to implant into your cats and dogs who have been altered?!!! :eek:

I guess it was developed for show cats and dogs, whose owners did not want them to breed ... but I found it hilarious! :D

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: catwoman ]

AvaJoy
11-20-2001, 08:08 PM
Oh, great. Now they have implants for cat and dog testicles?? :rolleyes:

I will have LOTS of questions for my vet next time I visit. :confused:

I need to add a ;) here because I really DO trust my vet, and surely Meeshe WAS neutered, but . . . DARN! . . . he sure doesn't appear to be.

gini
11-20-2001, 09:06 PM
These posts are hysterical!! When Rascal popped into my backyard - there was no mistake that he was an unneutered male!!

We are talking golf balls.

He was reduced to cotton balls in one short visit.

He used to bite my hair all of the time and then one day - he just stopped doing it.
I was relieved because I never knew what he was up to.

These Orange guys - ya gotta watch them!!

yorkster
11-21-2001, 02:22 AM
yeah Gini, my orange boy had the golf balls too- you could tell he was a boy kitty from WAY across the room (and he has long hair)!
Now he does not even have cotton balls, they are more like.....grape sized. Poor kitty.

zippy-kat
11-21-2001, 01:57 PM
LOL LOL LOL
That's all I can say right now...LOL

NoahsMommy
11-21-2001, 04:12 PM
hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

This thread is so funny!! :)

If you think cats are bad, you should live with a house bunny!! Faith has two "boyfriends" (stuffed-animal balls) that she frequently mates with....she has just recently taken to...um...using BOTH of them at the same time!! Jeesh! :o :rolleyes: :o

4 feline house
11-21-2001, 05:32 PM
Faith! A menage a trois ! Oh, you bad, bad girl! :o ;)

yorkster
11-21-2001, 05:55 PM
Sooooo funny, Leah! :D :D

wink-wink! ;) ;) ;)

zippy-kat
11-22-2001, 12:30 PM
Sophie has only tried to umm...mate with something once in her life--my arm! :o

But I guess it was my fault, I had her in bed cuddling her... :rolleyes:

That was in the pre-spay days--haven't had any attempts since she was fixed.

purrley
11-26-2001, 07:33 AM
So bazzzzar - implants for private parts in the animal world, now I've heard everything :D :D

NoahsMommy
11-27-2001, 05:39 PM
Leah, You have it correct...it is really embaressing when people come over and we have to run to get her "boyfriends" out of there!! :o

Sophie! You are too funny! I guess they go to who they love! :) hee hee :o