PDA

View Full Version : Posting Video on PT Tutorial

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Due to popular demand, I've written step by step instructions on how to post videos to PT. I, myself, was manually going through the steps as I wrote this up, so hopefully I didn't miss anything. So without further ado....

Step by Step Instructions for
Creating Videos for Pet Talk

Disclaimer – I’m assuming you already know how to take videos, file them on your computer and retrieve them from the place you saved them to.

1. Open Windows Movie Maker. If you do not have WMM on your computer, you can download it for free from this site. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp)
2. Once WMM is open, towards the bottom of the screen, make sure it says “Show Storyboard.” You can change it to Timeline on your own once you get more familiar with the project, but just so we’re all on the same page for now, make sure it says Storyboard.
3. Towards the top left of the screen, look under the heading “Capture Video” and click on “Import Video.”
4. This will take you to a screen where you find the video you had taken and saved. Once you find the video you want to work with, double click and WMM will import it – this may take a minute or two.
5. When the thumbnail appears, drag it to the timeline – where it says “Video” towards the bottom of the screen – and drop it there.
6. The video will now show up as a thumbnail on the timeline, and will also be on the right side of the screen. You can click the “Play” button to view the video if you like.
7. To save the video, on the left side of the screen, under the “Finish Movie” heading, click on “Save video to my computer.”
8. Enter a name for the video and tell the computer where you want to save it and click “Next.”
9. On the next screen, you can save the video in different sizes. I’ve found that 1 MB is a good size for Pet Talk. Click the “Best to fit” radio button, then specify 1 MB then click “Next.” NOTE – if your video is smaller than 1 MB, it won’t let you save it to that size. If this is the case, save it to the size it recommends when you click the “Best to fit” radio button.
10. The movie will save which may take a minute or two, then you can either click the box to play the video when you click finish, or just click finish.
11. You’ve now got the video in a format that Pet Talk will recognize. To post the video to Pet Talk, the first step is to go to the forum you wish to post the video to.
12. Click on “New Thread” on the top right of the screen.
13. Fill in the subject and type any sort of little story or whatever you want to introduce the video.
14. On the left side of the screen you will see a heading “Attach File.” To the right of that, click on the “Browse” button. Once again you need to find the video that you saved. However, this time find the video you created with WMM instead of the original. When you find it, double click on it.
15. This next step is VERY important! DO NOT,repeat, DO NOT preview the thread. If you preview it will delete the video. When the path of the video shows up next to the “Browse” button, simply click “Submit New Thread.” It will take a minute or two while the video uploads to Pet Talk, just be patient. Even with high speed access it will take a little time for this step.
16. Once the thread appears, if there is something you don’t like, or for some reason it didn’t work, you can always delete it. The thread will appear with an attachment that you need to click to view the video.
17. That’s it! Piece of cake! :D

popcornbird
05-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Ok, I need some help here. Seems that my Windows Movie Maker is kinda *different* from your's.

I completed steps 1-6, and have listed the differences, and what I did in green...

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

1. Open Windows Movie Maker. If you do not have WMM on your computer, you can download it for free from this site. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp)
Opened Windows Movie Maker........no problem here.

2. Once WMM is open, towards the bottom of the screen, make sure it says “Show Storyboard.” You can change it to Timeline on your own once you get more familiar with the project, but just so we’re all on the same page for now, make sure it says Storyboard.
Mine said *Timeline*, but I figured out how to change it to *Storyboard*.

3. Towards the top left of the screen, look under the heading “Capture Video” and click on “Import Video.”
Here's where the instructions didn't work for me. No where on my screen did it say *Capture Video*. I ended up clicking on *File* and then on *Import*.

4. This will take you to a screen where you find the video you had taken and saved. Once you find the video you want to work with, double click and WMM will import it – this may take a minute or two.
Clicking on File and then Import took me to the screen where I found the video and imported it.

5. When the thumbnail appears, drag it to the timeline – where it says “Video” towards the bottom of the screen – and drop it there.
6. The video will now show up as a thumbnail on the timeline, and will also be on the right side of the screen. You can click the “Play” button to view the video if you like.
Did step 5. I then clicked on Play and the video viewed just fine. Now I'm stuck..........

Here's where I'm stuck. Step 7.........

7. To save the video, on the left side of the screen, under the “Finish Movie” heading, click on “Save video to my computer.”
8. Enter a name for the video and tell the computer where you want to save it and click “Next.”

Just as there was no *Capture Video* on my Windows Movie Maker screen, there is also no *Finish Movie* that I can see on the left side of the screen, and I can't find any *Save video to my computer*. I looked for alternatives but couldn't figure this part out. *Needs Debbie's help* :D

Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial for us! I have been wanting to post videos for a long time.

trayi52
05-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Poppy, you may have to go to that site Debbie mentioned and download the new version of Windows Movie Maker. Thats what I had to do, once I done that, everything was so clear then.

It was so easy to follow Debbies directions then. Check and see about maybe downloading the newer version, because it is so much easier!

Willie:)

popcornbird
05-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Ok...........I *think* I figured it out. I had to click on *File* and then *Save Movie*.

Let me test it. If it works, that is Muffin *spinning* her head........something she does everytime she's frustrated, angry, or confused. Its hilarious. :p

Edit: YIPPEE!!! It worked! :D Thanks so much Debbie!!!

ChrisH
05-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Awwww, pops that is so sweet!! :D :D

Chris

*sigh* maybe one day I will have WindowsXP and be able to share my movies too.

trayi52
05-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Poppy, that was so sweet!! I loved it, now you can make more videos!!

Willie:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
*sigh* maybe one day I will have WindowsXP and be able to share my movies too.

Since you can download WMM from the site I posted, I don't know if you really NEED XP. I know it says that is the operating system it will work on, but a lot of times programs will work on other operating systems, it's just the Microsoft doesn't "support" those operating systems, meaning if you have a problem, don't call them. But you could try downloading it and see what happens. Worst case is it doesn't work and you uninstall.....

Pops! Great video!!! Muffin looks so agitated, and it's a good thing you described what she is doing, because she moves so fast that if you didn't know what she was doing, you might just miss it.

And thanks for posting the differences and what you did to get around them. I know a few others have just downloaded the newer version, but your "work arounds" might help somebody who is having the same problems as you to understand. When I read your first post I was going to suggest going to see if there was a "File/Save" but I see you figured that out yourself. ;) :D

If anybody else has any questions or problems, please feel free to PM or email me. I just love everybody's videos and will be glad to help! :D Can't guarantee anything, but will be glad to try. :)

DogLover9501
05-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Do you have to have Windows XP to share movies? :(

EDIT: Nevermind! Just seen that post!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, I bet I will need it when I get my camera!

DogLover9501
05-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Im going to try downloading it now, to see if it'll work for me, I hope it does.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Im going to try downloading it now, to see if it'll work for me, I hope it does.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. Let us know how it goes.....

DogLover9501
05-20-2004, 11:08 AM
It didn't work :(

Kfamr
05-20-2004, 12:28 PM
You can always find a server that allows movie type formats and upload your movies there. Then link your movies.

That's what I do. :)

wolf_Q
05-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Ok so I'm not the brightest person....I just went to download that program...

It was halfway through the download and I decided to do a search...I already have that program. :rolleyes:

Now lets see if I can be intelligent enough to figure out how to do this.

wolf_Q
05-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Ummmm.........test.......?

Cinder & Smoke
05-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

Ummmm.... test.......?

:D

W:cool:W!

There's........ NEBO!!!!

WAY to GO, Amy!!!!
Does this mean we'll see MORE of Nebo in the future?
HOPE So!!

:D

wolf_Q
05-20-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm glad it worked! :D

Yes well if everyone would like to see them I can post more doggy videos.....I've had the ability to take videos with my digital cam for a looooooooong time now I couldn't figure out how to put them on the web in the format it saved them in.

PCB I just watched your video and it's so cute!!

DogLover9501
05-20-2004, 02:59 PM
:eek: Nebo!!! Cute video, now that you figured that out there better be more ;)

Is there a program like that for Windows 98???

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah! We got another one, great video WolfQ!

gini
05-20-2004, 04:46 PM
I am supposed to be working here - ya know...........:D :D

and instead I am watching wonderful videos.

trayi52
05-20-2004, 05:18 PM
I guess, I'll just slip this one in of Grover.

popcornbird
05-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Awww...........we got to see a Nebo video! SO cute!!! Trayi, why was poor Grover locked in the cupboard? :p He he he! Thanks everyone! I'm so glad it worked.

Ps. Guess what Muffin's doing right now.........Yep.....she's spinning her head again. :rolleyes: I gave them both one almond each and Popcorn stole her's, so she's showing him her anger and frustration at that. I have never met another bird who does this. Its a Muffin feature. :p Make her mad once and that's what she does. No bites, screams, scratches, nothing...........just head spinning to show her anger. :p Its so funny, and even funnier in real life. :D

Whenever we have guests over, they always tell me *Make her spin her head!* They find it so entertaining, but poor Muffin! You have to make her mad to make her spin her head. :p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Yeah, Grover in the cabinet! And we even get a peak at her stubby little tail. :D

DogLover, have you tried downloading the program? Like I say, just because it says Windows XP doesn't mean that's the only program it will work on. If I get time this weekend I'll test it by downloading it to Terry's machine......

slleipnir
05-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I downloaded it. I have 2000, so it wouldn't let me install it :(

DogLover9501
05-21-2004, 08:11 PM
It installed but said something about an error and I don't have the program so my guess is it didn't work.

I would like to find a program, because my new camera makes videos :(

slleipnir
05-22-2004, 09:03 AM
doglover: do you have windows XP? if you do, I'm pretty sure XP comes with it. (I ask my brother who has XP, he said his came with it) If you don't have XP then you can't install it (only XP runs it)

DogLover9501
05-22-2004, 10:40 AM
No I don't have XP :(

trayi52
05-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Robyn, maybe your camera came with a software that will do the same thing. Might read up on it and see if it does.

Willie:)

PayItForward
05-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks Debbie :D

He he
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49930

How do you cut a clip in 2 and how do you add a title page ?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
How do you cut a clip in 2 and how do you add a title page ?

After you've dragged the video down to the timeline, it shows up on the right hand side where you can view it. Immediately underneath the picture there are a bunch of numbers showing the progress of the video, and right underneath that are two icons. The left one is to split the video in two at the current frame. I haven't done this yet, but click on that icon and see what happens. ;)

To add a title page or credits or running script, click on the #2 on the left of the screen to expand your options. Click on "Make titles or credits" There are many options, so just play around until you get the one you want. Then just save as explained earlier.

Hope this helps! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Lemme try... It isn't much as a video, but she was a happy dog!

Edit: It worked for me!

luckies4me
07-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Can someone PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE help me get a video onto here???? The movie maker thing will not import my file.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Cass, is your original file in .mov format? If so, go here (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/mov2avi.htm) and download and follow the instructions to get it into .avi format. Then you will be able to import it into Windows Movie Maker.

Hope this helps - let me know if it doesn't. :)

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Actually it was already in AVI format, but the MM wouldn't open it for some reason. I downloaded the new one and now it works fine. Check out my first video I posted in Pet General, about my sparrow. :)

Thanks SO much for this tutorial! :D

dukedogsmom
07-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks so much for the directions! I now have the ear song video posted in dog general.

Killearn Kitties
08-06-2004, 06:01 AM
My old camera did video clips and I thought I'd lost them all when I had my hard disk failure, but I found a copy! I'm glad I haven't lost them.

I have followed these excellent instructions very carefully and I hope you are all able to see the results. There is a bit of "snow" on the video which wasn't there before, so I don't know what caused that, but I hope it doesn't detract from your viewing enjoyment.

The video shows Sam and Daisy wrestling. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

cloverfdx
10-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Bumping this up again :).

I now have a camera that takes quite clear sharp videos and i am at a loss as how to share them, i am using win98 at the moment and i have VideoImpressions software that i need to reinstall hopefully that will work. I have some cute videos aswell. :)

Jayna78
02-09-2005, 03:17 AM
I have XP Pro and I have Windows Movie Maker on here too, and I started fiddling with it, and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to make pictures into a little slideshow for the user info area (like some of you have done so well) or in the signature area.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

(I would put video on here, but I don't have anything shot and uploaded to our computer right now.)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Jayna, there is a little program called "unfreeze" where you drag small gif files into it, set the speed you want them to flash at and then save it. They have to be gif files though. If you PM me with your email address, I will forward the program to you. It's small, easy and has no viruses. Or you could do a search on Google or something to find it. UnFREEZe is it's specific name.

Logan
02-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Debbie, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!! :) I just posted my very first video of Roger and his version of Zippity Do Dah!!! All thanks to you and your great instructions!!! :D It's in Pet General, in case you would like to hear him!

Logan

tomkatzid
07-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Well thanks to kfamr I found this thread !!!! So on Monday I will try to post some of our videos. I had to disconnect my external hard drive to take it on a trip with me and it's packed so I can't find any now to try out. But soon. I posted here incase anyone else is wondering how to do this, the thread needed to be revived !!!!
Thanks Katz

Lexi_Lover
07-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Hmmm...I can't find the download section, and *if* I did, then it wouldn't let me download. Can some body perhaps post the link as to exactly where the download is, it would be very much appreciated! :p

tomkatzid
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
Hmmm...I can't find the download section, and *if* I did, then it wouldn't let me download. Can some body perhaps post the link as to exactly where the download is, it would be very much appreciated! :p
If your running XP, do a search of your hard drive and it should already be installed on your computer.

Lexi_Lover
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
What do you mean do a search of my hard drive? LOL! I'm clueless!

tomkatzid
07-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
What do you mean do a search of my hard drive? LOL! I'm clueless!
Are you running XP ?
Sorry for the delay in responding, we were out of town.
Go to :
Start
Search
local hard drive
type in : windows movie maker
That's how I found it on my computer. It came with XP. I didn't have to download it.
Katz