PDA

View Full Version : Update On Baby Coon, Ringo

Lucky's Maw Maw
05-19-2004, 01:53 PM
For all of you that are interested in an update on our baby coon. He is doing great!! Leslie, the rehaber, says he is eating like a pig and growing like a weed!!! His ears opened a few days ago and his eyes on Mon (17TH). Leslie has been great to stay in touch by email with us. I am waiting to hear from her if we can go "visit" him but not touch. We don't want to make it harder for him when he is returned to the wild. We would like to maintain his album we started until he is turned loose in the Fall. As we get more pictures, I will post them.

For all who are interested in the history you can go to the link below:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48786[/url]

The first two (2) pictures are the night we rescued him. The last picutre is the latest picture. As close as we can figure he is about 15 + days old in that picture. It was taken is his "nursery crib" at the rehab center.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p4224ebf55b0937cf6966caa470338f75/f89d070b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p32fa4e6f2dfe4f7c48df619ed9e78788/f89d0707.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p869cf2b24b7fbb29dd0a7d0ddabcf8be/f89d0702.jpg

Laura's Babies
05-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I been watching for this thread, glad you got it done.. Babies are SOooooo sweeeeeeet!

Lucky's Maw Maw
05-24-2004, 01:18 AM
Hey All,
Below you will see the newest picture I got from the rehab lady today. He is really growing up fast. As you can see, if you look close, his eyes are partially opened and his ears are standing up now. She said that he is growing like a weed and he is getting so pretty. His markings are really showing up now. His little mask is very previlent as well as his rings on his tail. To me, he appears to be happy, fat and sassy.......or should I say LAZY!!!! Always napping!!! He is sooooo beautiful!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/p4c1f8b04ef9d037611e125db4931618f/f891bf55.jpg

Logan
05-24-2004, 07:28 AM
He is growing! What a precious little one. I hope that Ringo is going to be just fine!!! :)

Lucky's Maw Maw
06-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey all.....

This is an update on Ringo and a new picture. I am so proud that he is growing. When you view this you will see. Also in a previous post, I provided a link to view the story from the beginning.

I was impressed with the response when we first posted but it seems since I made his own thread, no one seems to care how this little guy is fairing. :( I really thought people would be more interested in his outcome.

Ringo is the baby coon on the right with his face away from the camera. ( Guess he is camera shy...) He now has a "friend" since he is out of quarantine. The rehab lady, Leslie, says he is cuddling and playing and learning how to be a baby coon. This is why we sent him to her to begin with even though it broke our hearts to take him there, we knew it was best for him.

I am adding a new picture of him. I think he is about a month old here. (We are just guesstimating at his age.) His markings have really just popped out since the last picture.

I also have to say a wonderful thank you to Leslie Lattimore in Livingston, Louisiana for all she is doing for all sorts of animals that have been hurt or abandoned. She is really a wonderful lady and I thank her deeply for taking our baby Ringo. She sends me a new picture each time I have asked for one and I truly thank her for that. She is a State and Federal liscensed rehabilitator. She does all this and is NOT funded by anyone, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Her email address is: [email protected]. If you are interested in donating, please email her for details. I know she would appreciate it.

Hope you all enjoy it!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid119/p35ad2d6eff7cecbc2f5bbc541936e602/f86dff20.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
06-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Ringo is a Cutie!! ;)

Glad he's doing so well at the Rehab Center.

Logan
06-02-2004, 08:50 PM
He's growing and changing so much, isn't he? I'm glad you're keeping us updated. Go Ringo!!!! :D

Obviously someone is following the story and just not responding! This thread has had 85 views!!

luckies4me
06-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Aww, look at his cute wittle face! He is so cute. Both are very cute. Thanks for updating us on the little guy. :)

Kfamr
06-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the update. :D

Like Logan said, I've been *watching* but not posting. Sorry for that!!!

He's sooooo adorable! I'm glad he's doing well. :)

kimlovescats
06-02-2004, 11:51 PM
I have always loved raccoons!!! Oh and to see not one, but TWO precious little baby coons!!! Thank you so much for taking this baby in and finding a great rescue center for him to grow and thrive! Please keep the pics and updates coming too!:D

popcornbird
06-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Awww! He's so cute! I never saw this thread before. Keep us posted! What a sweet baby raccoon!

Lucky's Maw Maw
06-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks all......
I am new to this and don't know how to tell how many views have been done. I just knew no one was posting and I didn't understand that. I am the neighbor of Laura's Babies and she always shows me how much people respond. I am glad to know that people are at least following his story. A special thanks to those that posted because now I know you are all out there. Sorry if I sound upset....just didn't understand and Laura is on her days out so I couldn't ask her about it. Chalk it up to a newcomer.

Lucky's Maw Maw
06-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey All,
I just got the newest picture of Ringo in from Leslie, the rehabor.
She said he is "growing like a weed" (as you all can see). He is in the weaning stage and fusses when the "other" babies get their bottles. He thinks he is suppose to get one too and lets her know so. He will soon be outside in the "pre-release" cage where he will learn how to catch crawfish, shiners, crickets and other eatable things. He has had the first of his vaccanations. He will get 3 before he is released. He has a lot of new things to learn in his first few months. But you will be able to see how much he has grown. He has a beautiful dark mask now and is really filling out and growing up. It will be fall before we know it and he will be released back into the woods and our sweet Ringo will be a very happy memory. It makes me kinda sad that we won't be able to "track" his progress but happy that he will be where he is suppose to be. Hope you all enjoy him as much as I do.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid122/p382534b9ae7921f229a2b3bd07611d27/f8427a27.jpg

lynnestankard
06-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Only just caught up with this thread and seen the little cutie-pie - he's gorgeous. I've never seen a baby racoon - so I'm thrilled.
Good luck little fella! :D

Lynne

Logan
06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
OMG!!! He's growing up so fast!!!!! :) What a beauty he is too!!!!

Thank you for your continued updates. I have been enjoying all of them!!!!! :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
AWW Ringo is so cute. I am so glad he is doing well, and will eventually be released where he belongs.

Sorry I didnt see or reply to your other thread, but I have limited time online, so I tond to hang around Cat General and General!

Welcome to Pet Talk!!!

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-16-2004, 09:47 AM
His progress is just fantastic! I am so glad that he is learning to be a real racoon at the rehab center and that he'll be released. Wonderful!

DJFyrewolf36
06-16-2004, 10:21 AM
What a cutie!!!

ramanth
06-16-2004, 11:31 AM
How adorable!! :D At what age can he be released? :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-16-2004, 12:42 PM
How cute! Tell the rehab woman to give him a kiss for me!

tatsxxx11
06-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Ringo is just precious:) And has he grown!!!:eek: I know how difficult it was for you to part with him, but you did the absolute right thing to assure his good health and survival!; and you still get to visit and watch him grow! I volunteer at our local wildlife rescue, "Wildcare," and taking care of the baby/injured birds and racoons, foxes, squirrels etc. is so rewarding! You really fall in love with the sweeties and it's hard to say goodbye, but at the same time, such a happy day to see them off on their great life adventure! Long distance hugs to you Ringo!:) What a great thing you've done and we're so happy you've shared your story, and Ringo with us all!

Lucky's Maw Maw
06-16-2004, 09:05 PM
In answer to your question about when Ringo can be released...

Leslie said that it will mid or late fall before he is capable of being released. She will do a "soft release". She lives in the "woods" (they surround her on 3 sides) and she lives down a series of roads that are all logging roads. A perfect place for a rehab center. A soft release is where she lets him go in her back yard. From her experience, they most of the time come back for a day maybe 2 then she doesn't see them again......and sometimes it takes longer. She has him and 4 other baby coons a week younger than he is....

There is a link to provide everyone that wants to now the story from day one. The pictures are the same except this thread has the updated ones.

Thanks for the questions and comments. My son and I have really kept up but all 5 of my kids have asked about him. My middle daughter is the one that named him...so as you can see it is a family affair. The twins both rushed over the night we got him and helped feed him to keep him alive....so he really has 6 parents.....LOL....Leslie, who is wonderful, 4 of my 5 children and myself.

I try to update this thread with a new picture at least once a week, Leslie has been wonderful to send a new picture whenever I ask for one. So, all that want to, will be able to see his progress through the time she releases him.

kimlovescats
06-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Ringo is so beautiful now and really getting to be a grownup boy!!! Thank you so much for keeping us updated! You will have to forgive me for not posting more often .... but I mostly hang out on the Cat boards! That is where I met Laura's Babies! ;)

heinz57_79
06-16-2004, 11:44 PM
I've never seen a raccoon so small! :eek: He's beautiful! I'm so glad he's doing so well... it must feel great to know that he'll soon be released! :)

Kfamr
06-17-2004, 01:21 AM
That picture is just too sweet! What an adorable face!!!

Laura's Babies
06-23-2004, 11:41 PM
TO CUTE!!! You were right, he does look a tad upset that he is expected to eat that "stuff".. My, how he has grown though and got his markings now... Gee, he is SOooo cute!!

Lucky's Maw Maw
07-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey all Pet Talk Friends,

I am sorry that this update has been so long overdue. The monitor went out on my computer and I had to get another one before I could take care of this.

Enclosed will probably be the last picture we get of Ringo. I am going to copy and paste the email I got from Leslie, the rehab below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donnis-

This will probably be the last picture that we get of Ringo- At least one where I know that it is him. He is in this group pic. He was moved outside in a pre-release cage this week with a group of 10 others. He has graduated! He has all but one of his vaccinations and will soon be out in the "cruel world" Next step is the shiners,crawfish, climbing and jumping, mock fighting etc.

Leslie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, as you can see, he is to be out there in the wild very soon. As much as I am glad that he is, I am also very heavy hearted. I guess just loving him and caring for him that first 24 hours put a very special bond between him and myself. I did shed a few selfish tears but not for long.

I have asked Leslie to email me when she lets him go. She does a "soft release", one from her backyard. As you all know, she is surronded by woods for him to start his life anew. She said sometimes they come back for a day or so, then they usually are never seen again.

Goooooooooooooo Ringo...have a great and happy coon life!!!!
Remember you have a human maw maw that loves you!!! And a Pet Talk Family that are rooting for you. Be Happy!!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p6a24af24bae82649994016b435a7fb25/f80538ae.jpg

Laura's Babies
07-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Gooooo! Ringo GO! Be careful out there in the wild and hope you don't forget your human friends that cuddled and loved you that wonderful 24 hours!

QueenScoopalot
07-03-2004, 09:11 PM
He is one lucky baby raccoon! It's great that he'll have other babies to be released with, when the time comes. I'm sure he'll have himself a girlfriend in no time flat he's so handsome! I recall reading a story about an elderly man out in the woods somewhere, who raised a pair of raccoon babes and then released them. As the years passed he'd make sure they were all fed every night. More and more raccoons showed up and one night he had a dozen or so hungry raccoons on his porch, and nothing but pancake mix! :D He made them pancakes LOL! I can see it now! :D :D :D Have a happy and healthy life Ringo! :) ;)

Kfamr
07-03-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm going to copy the others while saying "Goooooooooooooooo Ringo!!" :D

Good luck out there boy.. and thank you Lucky's Maw maw for sharing him with us!:D

luckies4me
07-03-2004, 09:49 PM
I am so happy to hear he has made it this far and is almost time for release. Good luck out there in the big big world Ringo! We are all rooting for you sweet little man! Good luck! :D

Uabassoon
07-03-2004, 10:06 PM
I can't believe how big he is now. Congrats to Ringo for graduating :) I'm sure he'll enjoy his new life.