PDA

View Full Version : Help! My male cat (neutered) mounts another male!

karmakoma
06-04-2001, 02:41 PM
Can anyone help me with this behaviour that I'm trying to find an answer to?
I have a 1 year old male cat named Gambit who was neutered at 5 months. There are 6 cats in the family now that we adopted a stray named Zulu around 2 years old (also neutered once we adopted him)
I have noticed several times that Gambit will bite the back of Zulu's neck and almost act like he is trying to mate with Zulu..although I haven't seen him actually mount him like males do to females.
Has anyone heard of 'dominance' among cats in this way? He does not do this to the other family cats.

4 feline house
06-04-2001, 04:57 PM
I'm sure it's a dominance tactic - the reason the male bites the female on the neck is to control her, and momcats pick up their babies by the neck to control them.

karmakoma
06-04-2001, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I knew all about that, which led me to think it was a show of dominance but I just had never heard of a male cat doing that to another male cat.
But it certainly makes sense! :-)

[This message has been edited by karmakoma (edited June 04, 2001).]

Catcrazed
06-05-2001, 02:56 PM
Our male cat, midget did that Before we got him neutered, not just to our other male cats, but to our poor old dog's head!

Catcrazed
06-05-2001, 02:56 PM
Our male cat, midget did that Before we got him neutered, not just to our other male cats, but to our poor old dog's head!

karmakoma
06-05-2001, 10:28 PM
*LOL* I would have loved to see that! We also have two dogs but fortunately, Gambit doesn't do that to them. Perhaps once Zulu accepts that he's Gambit's 'b*tch'...I think Gambit will stop. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif