PDA

View Full Version : Bear!!!

Glacier
05-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Yikes! Tonight I was out walking Kayleigh and Daisy. I just put them back on their leashes and was almost back to my truck. I parked just off our major road--which isn't all that major but does get heavy foot and bike traffic in the evenings. I bike on it just about every night. Just as we came around the final corner, there was a big brown bear!!! Holy! I've seen them farther back in the bush, but never this close to a populated area! He was very calm, just eating dandelions. I managed to stay calm and get Kayleigh in the truck before she lost her mind. She seemed to know that wasn't a dog and she shouldn't bark at it! She is dog aggressive, but apparently has enough brains not to go for a bear! We stopped to warn a couple people out walking. I hope they had enough brains to turn around and leave him alone. I firmly believe that if we leave most wildlife alone it will leave us alone!

I hope he goes back deeper into the bush--where he belongs and where he will be safer!

Corinna
05-18-2004, 11:06 PM
We are having more sightings in more populated areas ,here we are thinking (I should say the EXPERTS) its from the burns of last year. I have been notiving small behavior changes in all the wildlife patterns for a couple years. Everyone thinks I'm imagining it. I don't thinks so but maybe othersof you have too.
Glaicer , the brown was it a Kodiak or grizzly. Glad your ok .

Fallon
05-18-2004, 11:10 PM
That sounds pretty intense. I'm glad the dogs stayed calm and you guys got home safely. I don't know if I'd run when I saw one or just stand there in awe..

Glacier
05-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
We are having more sightings in more populated areas ,here we are thinking (I should say the EXPERTS) its from the burns of last year. I have been notiving small behavior changes in all the wildlife patterns for a couple years. Everyone thinks I'm imagining it. I don't thinks so but maybe othersof you have too.
Glaicer , the brown was it a Kodiak or grizzly. Glad your ok .

I think it was a Kodiak--or what we call a plain ol' brown bear around here. If he was a griz, he was very young as the hump wasn't obvious.

I haven't noticed any major changes in their behavior around here. There are always bears in the area, but they usually stay farther back by the lake and away from the road. The Yukon is still pretty sparsely populated--twice as many moose as people up here and as many bears a people! I definately think in more populated areas there are changes happening. The wildlife just has no where to hide anymore in so many places.

ramanth
05-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Wow!!! Do you wish you had your camera? :)

Knowing Kia, she'd want to play with it. :eek: :rolleyes:

Kona & Oreo's mom
05-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
I firmly believe that if we leave most wildlife alone it will leave us alone!

I agree wholeheartedly!

I'm glad you and the dogs are safe.