PDA

View Full Version : Two in one--Dogs noses and chocolate?

rizzy
05-18-2004, 10:24 PM
I have two questions, not to be stupid but chocolate is poisen to dogs isnt it? I thought it was..I dont know. What is the truth about cold and warm noses. Because a lot of the time my dogs nose is warm and she isnt sick. Hmm...:rolleyes:

Dogz
05-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs.

I don't think the temperature of her nose really can tell you if she is sick. I am not sure though.

guster girl
05-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I do know that the cocoa bean contains theobromine (I think that's the name of the toxin), and, that's what's fatal. It's different for every dog, though, as for how much they can eat before it's dangerous, but, it's obviously better just to keep it all away. I also know that the amount of theobromine differs from chocolate to chocolate....dark or plain chocolate has the highest content. And, cocoa powder is even more dangerous. As for the nose part, I'm not sure. I always thought it was just a sign of the body temperature of the dog. And, I would imagine, just as a person's body temperature changes and doesn't necessarily signal sickness, I'd guess it was the same for dogs. But, like I said, I'm not sure. :)

binka_nugget
05-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I've read that the wet/dry nose depends on the moisture in the air surrounding the dog.

NoahsMommy
05-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Yes, chocolate is toxic. Dark being the worst...

The nose thing does depend on a lot of factors. Like binka_nugget said, it can depend on the air around the dog.

Albea
05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Besides chocolate being toxic to dogs, raisins and onions are too.
If you want to know more on other things that are bad go to the ASPCA home page and look for that information. I know I posted it here long time ago, but don't remember when.