PDA

View Full Version : Do they really make pets sick?

joanofark
05-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Do the Cicada's really make pets sick if they eat them? Are they all over and around your house?

Karen
05-18-2004, 05:07 PM
They don't come to Massachusetts, thankfully. From what I've seen on news reports, though, they can make pets sick. It's not that the cicadas themselves are harmful, it's just that there are so darned many of them that, like a kid given free reign in a candy store, pets can just keep eating and eating and eating them until they make themselves sick. All that crunchy chewy goodness ...

and their digestive systems just aren't meant to handle that much insect matter at once!

joanofark
05-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Karen
They don't come to Massachusetts, thankfully. From what I've seen on news reports, though, they can make pets sick. It's not that the cicadas themselves are harmful, it's just that there are so darned many of them that, like a kid given free reign in a candy store, pets can just keep eating and eating and eating them until they make themselves sick. All that crunchy chewy goodness ...

and their digestive systems just aren't meant to handle that much insect matter at once!

Wow you are lucky! We have a lot here in Kentucky!:eek:

Twisterdog
05-18-2004, 09:31 PM
I've never seen a cicada, I don't even really know what they are. Obviously, they don't live here. Once every few years we have a huge outbreak of moths, aka miller bugs. My dogs eats zillions of them.

All that crunchy chewy goodness ... that much insect matter at once

I could have gone all week without that visual, thanks so much! ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I think it's like Karen says, they just eat too many. There was a guy, I think in Indiana, who got a recipe to cook cicadas (don't remember if they were fried or grilled or baked or whatever) but he cooked some up and ate too many and made himself sick. So I don't think they're like a rat that carries disease or anything like that, they must just be good eatin'! yeah, sure, Debbie, good eatin' uh huh, yep, that's what it is...EEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

trayi52
05-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Debbie, that is like Ewwwwwe!!:eek:

RobiLee
05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Ok you guys, you are making my tummy roll.....YUCK!...hehehe

Robin :)

catnapper
05-19-2004, 07:04 AM
Gosh, I haven't thought about those bugs in a looong time. We used to have them outside my grandmom's house. They'd leave their shells behind on her pine tree... and I was fascinated by them. I haven't seen or heard one since! I wonder if they left the region?

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-19-2004, 07:18 AM
I live in NJ and have yet to see or hear one. But I am sure soon enough I will.

How could anyone or thing eat those ugly bugs????

Cataholic
05-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Living in Cincinnati, the primo spot ( I think) for Cicadas...the answer is YES...if the dogs eat too many of them. I was just talking to a vet on Sunday about this. Don't let them eat them, and be glad we are living in this madness for **only** 6 weeks!

joanofark
05-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Gosh, I haven't thought about those bugs in a looong time. We used to have them outside my grandmom's house. They'd leave their shells behind on her pine tree... and I was fascinated by them. I haven't seen or heard one since! I wonder if they left the region?

Well people say they come out every 17 years!