PDA

View Full Version : Pouncer's 1st day on the job!

catnapper
05-18-2004, 03:53 PM
And it was a smashing success! I was SO proud of how well behaved he was. He purred his head off when a few of the older ladies held him and let ANYBODY hold him until they were done petting him.

Now for the pictures (I blurred their faces for their privacy)
this was the first person to hold him and he was SHY. He kept trying to bury his nose into her arm.
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/therapycat1.jpg

He just loved this lady. He got all comfy and I think was a few moments away from falling asleep. check out the little paw that fell between her legs and is just dangling down like he doesn't care.
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/therapycat2.jpg

Here's another rsident that he got all cosy and snuggly with. She told me that I made her YEAR.
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/therapycat3.jpg

And this lady apparently always carries around a fake cat and pets it all day long. She took one look at Pouncer and tossed the cat aside (its on the left side) and held out her hands. I never saw a bigger smile in my life. I didn't know how to ask for him back. :) Everyone was surprised to see her golding a real cat!
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/therapycat4.jpg

RICHARD
05-18-2004, 04:25 PM
What a great job!!!

Do you think the ladies would like to have some pics for the walls of their rooms??

Thanks Pouncer,

You are the best!

heinz57_79
05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Very cool! I'm sure you made a few ladies VERY happy... I've always wanted to get one or more of my kids into being a therapy/hospital animal but was never sure how to go about doing it. Major props to you and to Pouncer for being so unselfish and giving! :D

kuhio98
05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Great job Pouncer. Your fan club is increasing every day. :D
He was such a good boy to let those ladies love on him! How I wish one of mine had the temperment for such an important job. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Awww....we always knew he was a big sweetie pie, and now he's proved it. What a good boy! We're sooo proud of you Pouncer. :D

I supposed he's fast asleep now after such a busy day making so many people happy. :D

Steffi N
05-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Thank you Pouncer for bringing some kitty love into these women's lives and into the lives of the other people you visited. We are all very proud of you.

catcrazylady
05-18-2004, 05:18 PM
My heart just fell to the floor!! Those ladies look so happy to be able to hold and love Pouncer. That lady with the fake cat could be any one of us in a few years!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/eek.gif Bless her heart she must have been thrilled!

Bless you Kim for taking him and a GREAT BIG HUG for that sweet boy for being so good and loving to all those people!! It takes a special kitty to be able to handle all that attention! I think this is so wonderful.

I think Richard has a wonderful idea. Your pictures were so good and I bet those ladies would love to have copies of them to keep in their room. Especially the lady with the fake kitty.

I wish I had a kitty with the right temperment because you can tell you really brightened up those ladies days. Look at how they smile! That is so wonderful!!!:D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

When is your next trip and how often will you go?

Laura's Babies
05-18-2004, 05:27 PM
I know what being able to hold a real live pet can do for these people...ANYTIME you want a picture of him with angel wings and a halo, just say so because he IS a TRUE Fur Angel and will touch so many lives. This is just as important a job as rescuing the homeless animals and I admire you and Pouncer for doing this! Bless you BOTH!

jazzcat
05-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh wow Kim that is awesome! I had a huge smile on my face the whole time I looked at the pictures. Yes, I will be like that lady with the stuffed cat some day.

Give Pouncer a hug and treat for me too. He's wonderful!!

I wised one of my three would act like that but they'd all squirm and fight to get away from that much attention.

catnapper
05-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Thank you! I think I will print those out for the people I took pictures of! I cannot express to you how good I feel! First, I am bursting at the seams with pride over how well behaved my boy was! He was shy and skittish at first, but then relaxed and settled onto each lap and accepted all of the loving that was given to him. You should have seen how much their faces lit up to see him! They were all so concerned that he'd jump off their laps and try to run away... they all tried to handle his leash to keep him safe. It was such a sweet, gentle and loving gesture on their part!

They get lots and lots of dogs, but I'm the first with a cat. It seems as if there are a lot of cat lovers that had toleve their cats behind to enter the nursing home. Many told me about their cats at home and a few showed me pictures of their cats.

I'll be going back reguarly now since it was such a wonderful experience. I feel so good knowing that I made these people happy. I only stayed an hour or so, and would have stayed longer but I was getting a headache from the heat - they keep those places WARM! LOL. I never knew how truly good it feels to give so little of yourself. I can see how much it means to them.

I think Pouncer understands how much they needed him too because he was as perfect as can be... no nawtee cat at all! Everyone marveled at how great he was! :) Of course he's taking a nice nap after his hard day's work ;)

sirrahbed
05-18-2004, 07:05 PM
I could just cry!!! This is WONDERFUL!!! WONDERFUL!!! There is nothing so satisfying to me as cheering the day (let alone the YEAR!) for an elderly person in the nursing home Bless you Pouncer and KIM for bringing him in!! I know for sure many folks will sleep better tonight for your visit!! I hope you and Pouncer can continue to make this a regular part of your schedule. I have the biggest smile on MY face!!! ....and a warm feeling in my heart as well!!! Oh and the picture idea is fabulous!! I am so excited and PROUD of you both!!! Nursing home visitation is so dear to MY heart and I know how little it takes to bring joy and it multiplies so greatly back to the giver!!!! :D :D :D

AmberLee
05-18-2004, 07:18 PM
What a wonderful thing you and Pouncer have done.

RICHARD
05-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

I wish I had a kitty with the right temperment because you can tell you really brightened up those ladies days.

Would Scrappy go do prison visits???:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Just kidding......;)

I think a picture of Pouncer's mug and a picture of them both would do nicely!

Edwina's Secretary
05-18-2004, 07:45 PM
That last picture in particular brings tears to my eyes. How wonderful....

Pam
05-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Kim, Pouncer is indeed a very special kitty. My mom is in a convalescent center and up until a couple of years ago they had a resident kitty who was acquired from the local shelter. You would see him walking up and down the halls with his tail held straight up and one by one the residents would roll up to him in their wheelchairs and pet him and talk to him. You could see the big smiles break out on their faces. Nowadays, since he left for the RB, I have only ever noticed therapy dogs and family members also bring their dogs. (Ripley has gone several times). I think it takes a very special kitty to do what Pouncer did. I know my two would fail miserably. Way to go Pouncer! What a sweetheart! :)

CatMama78
05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Oh Pouncer you are truly a very special kitty~~~Very good job on your first day. The effect and happiness you're having on people is wonderful!

Corinna
05-18-2004, 08:10 PM
OMG the thought of some of you cat people in a care facilty, as an ex care attendant, We better start building a place for all of you and the ton of cats that will be needed. :D :D
Actually Pouncer great job little man you are a star.

kimlovescats
05-18-2004, 10:24 PM
These pictures brought tears of joy to my eyes, Kim. What a wonderful blessing you and your precious Pouncer have been to these dear people. God Bless You!!!!!!! :)

trayi52
05-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Kim, those pictures made me so happy! I know Grover would not be able to do that, she really gets scared of guest and hides when people comes into the house.

I used to take dogs that were good around people, and the only one I have now that would be good, would be that Rottweiler of mine, and then I would be afraid she would hurt some of the older people because she thinks she can fit into laps. She is much too big for a lapdog.

What a wonderful thing you done for these precious people, Kim! That was the best gift you could have given them.

I love the lady that threw down her stuffie so that she could hold Pouncer. Wasn't that just the sweetest thing. I know it did make you feel so good. What better gift to give these most precious people than a chance to experience some love from a very special cat, by the name of Pouncer.

Good job, Pouncer!

Willie:)

Vio&Juni
05-19-2004, 02:24 AM
This brought tears to my eyes!

Pouncer is such a sweety :)

Barbara
05-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Pouncer, nobody will ever call you a nawtee kitty anymore!

You are such a good little boy to be so relaxed with so many people. Filou and Tigris thinks that is very courageous:)

If I ever should live in a place like that (and nobody knows that) I would wish that a Pouncer came along to be held and petted:)

Kirsten
05-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
This brought tears to my eyes!

Pouncer is such a sweety :)

Same here!!! It is so heartwarming and wonderful to see how Pouncer has made these ladies happy! What a wonderful boy he is!! And I can't believe how sweet and trusting he was in that new environment and with these new people!

Pouncer, you're such a darling, and Lily is sooooo proud of you! :)

Kirsten

catlover4ever
05-19-2004, 07:27 AM
I have to join the tear wagon as well. What a wonderful thing to do. My grandmother was in and out of nursing homes when she had cancer and the one thing she missed the most, besides from being in her own home was all of my mom's cats. Mom had between 8 and 10 when my grandmother was alive. The nursing home or I should say rehab center only allowed dogs for pet therapy.

Pouncer keep up the GOOD, WONDERFUL, EXCELLENT, LOVING, and FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killearn Kitties
05-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Pouncer, you are an absolute star!! I can't speak highly enough of your courage and ability! :D :D :D I'm glad your first day went well. You have made those ladies very happy. It must have been wonderful for them to have a beautiful real-live cat to cuddle.

Not being able to take a beloved pet into a nursing home must, I think, be one of the very worst things to come to terms with in the whole situation. It's a wonderful thing that you and Pouncer are doing.

catcrazylady
05-19-2004, 07:58 AM
I just keep coming back to this thread because the looks on those faces is so fantastic. I think all of PT is so very proud of Pouncer!! I guess because we feel like we really know the little guy it helps to make us feel a part of this whole experience. I can't wait for pictures from the next visit.
Good job and thank you Pouncer!!!

catmandu
05-19-2004, 08:57 AM
That is so toching ,andI will see , if anyone wants Moose The Magnificent , to cuddle , as he is the Friendliest , of the Cats! Pouncer One,from the Rainbow Bridge , is So Proud of Pouncer!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Well done Pouncer - we are all SO proud of you!!! What a wonderful way to give something back to the community!

How often will Pouncer go there?

Cataholic
05-19-2004, 12:37 PM
What a wonderfully giving and unselfish act of you and Pouncer to do! I have tears in my eyes just imagining the joy you two brought to the women.