PDA

View Full Version : WOW- You'll never believe this!

Desert Arabian
05-18-2004, 03:16 PM
A classmate of mine got stung by a scorpion two times on Sunday while she was putting bananas on the shelf at Pick N' Save!

She had an extremely severe allergic reaction and almost died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Her arm was so messed up from the reaction, the doctors started to talk to her and her parents about amputation.

What was even worse, is that the nearest scorpion expert was over 3 hours away- after all, why need that many in Wisconsin.

The scorpion was supposedly hiding in the bananas, and she didn't notice until it was too late- it stung her once. Then she freaked out and tried to fling it off, but it grabbed her with it's pinchers and stung her a second time. She shook her arm even harder and it flew off and ran away- they never found the scorpion.

She told me her parents are considering suing Pick N' Save and the Chiquita Company for this incident.

Today she was in my math class with the arm in a sling- you can see where she got stung. I just can't believe it- of all the places for that box to get shipped it came to Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin and of all the possible people to encounter it, it was my classmate! Too creepy!

I am so glad she is still her, if she died, the world would be short one awesome person! Crystal is amazing- I am just so happy to know she didn't die from here allergic reaction.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

popcornbird
05-18-2004, 03:26 PM
That is SO scary!!! OMG! Poor girl. I'm so glad she's okay, but her poor arm! :(

Thanks soooo much for telling the story. Now I'm 1000 times more scared of spiders/insects/bugs than I already was, and I've decided I'm never, EVER coming to Wisconsin. :p

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Wow - scarey stuff!! I am so glad your friend is OK!!!

A few years ago the municipality were digging REALLY deep ditches in waste ground behind our house (they were laying these HUGE 6ft diameter pipes), and they must have disturbed a NEST, cos we kept on finding SCORPIONS in the house!!!:eek: EEK I really HATE them - they just freak me out!!!

Karen
05-18-2004, 03:37 PM
popcornbird, scorpions are not spiders!

They're a whole different critter, and they don't naturally exist in Wisconsin. Better to avoid buying bananas than avoid poor Wisconsin!

Your poor friend! Hope they find the scorpion, and pay for her medical bills because of it.

Logan
05-18-2004, 03:40 PM
What a mess! I am not sure what I think about the "suing" aspect of the whole thing. It sounds like a horrible coincidence to me.

Just hope your friend will be ok. That's the main thing.

Logan

popcornbird
05-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Karen
popcornbird, scorpions are not spiders!

They're a whole different critter, and they don't naturally exist in Wisconsin. Better to avoid buying bananas than avoid poor Wisconsin!

Your poor friend! Hope they find the scorpion, and pay for her medical bills because of it.

Oops. :o LOL! I meant to write bugs, but accidently typed spiders. :o Silly me!

Desert Arabian
05-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Logan
What a mess! I am not sure what I think about the "suing" aspect of the whole thing. It sounds like a horrible coincidence to me.

Just hope your friend will be ok. That's the main thing.

I agree completely. Now, if they don't help pay her medical bills or give her some workers comp, then I could understand a lawsuit.

ramanth
05-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Wisconsin has scorpions!?!?!
:eek: :eek: :(

I hope she gets better soon.

luckies4me
05-18-2004, 04:01 PM
When I lived in 29 Palms (the high desert of California) we had tons of scorpions at our house. We would go into the garage barefoot without the lights off not knowing there were TONS of scorpions in there. One night we decided to just turn on the light and we were very surprised to see so many of them running by our feet. We were extremely lucky to not have been stung or stepped on one! :eek:

I am sorry about your friend. :( I hope she starts feeling better soon. Poor thing.

Desert Arabian
05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Wisconsin has scorpions!?!?!
:eek: :eek: :(

NOOO! LOL! It was shipped to Wisconsin in a box of bananas. OMG, if there were scorpions in Wisconsin there would be a FOR SALE sign in the front yard!!!!!!!! :eek: :p

Cookiebaker
05-18-2004, 04:55 PM
:eek: Wow, that is really scary! :eek: Best wishes to her that she will heal fast! :eek:

Dogz
05-18-2004, 05:29 PM
That is scary! :eek:

I am glad that the girl is okay.

Where did the scorpion origionally come from?

RICHARD
05-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Bananas are usually 'gassed' for tarantulas....

I don't know if scorpions are native to where the bananas came from.....

Twisterdog
05-18-2004, 09:27 PM
We have scorpions all over here. Must be a different kind, though, because I've never heard of anyone getting stung by one. Or, maybe we just know they are there, and watch out for them ... kind of like rattle snakes.

Shelteez2
05-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
We have scorpions all over here. Must be a different kind, though, because I've never heard of anyone getting stung by one. Or, maybe we just know they are there, and watch out for them ... kind of like rattle snakes.

*faints* Ummm I think I'm cancelling my trip to Wyoming now.....
LOL

She told me her parents are considering suing Pick N' Save and the Chiquita Company for this incident.

While this was a horrible accident I don't see why they would be suing. I doubt the Pick N' Save put the scorpion there on purpose, likewise with the Chiquita Company. I guess I just don't understand some people's first response being to sue.

wolf_Q
05-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Oh my!! :eek: Glad your friend is ok!!

One time I came home with two ticks on me. I got them from walking through the gardening section at Wal-mart!

I'm not sure if there are scorpions in Utah...I've never seen one here before...I'm sure we do out in the desert areas and such.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-19-2004, 07:25 AM
WOW She was defiantly in the wrong place at the wrong time!

DJFyrewolf36
05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Cause there are scorpions GALORE out here. All different sorts too...even some that glow in black light! Ugh...too crawly! I'm glad your friend is ok though, scorpions are scary and some can be really dangerous. When I was little, before we sprayed for them, we had scorpions crawling up our walls and stuff....double ick! I even went to a "Scorpion class" once to learn how to deal with em *stings etc.*
I wish your friend luck, hopefully she gets compensated without the need for a sticky lawsuit!