PDA

View Full Version : My Cat Hisses at everyone but me.

Ben E Gas
06-04-2001, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know why my 10 month old cat hisses at everyone but me and my roommate? I guess I'll have to accept his behavior. I can't help but accept him, he's so cute and nice to us. But when someone comes over, he may sit near them, but as soon as they reach to pet him, he hisses and scares them. I go over to put my hands on him and he's fine. People probably think I abuse him, I always have to explain the situation to them. I wish others could experience his niceness, his cuteness and his friendship. I've had him since he was almost 2 months. I think he was traumatized at the vet, but his last visit was a few months ago. I can't even imagine how it's going to be next time I take him there. Is there anyway to lighten up a cat's behavior? He was the more dominant of his 3 siblings, maybe he misses that dominance and has to be in control.

Pam
06-04-2001, 08:12 AM
Ben...My daughter's ragdoll is sort of like that. He doesn't hiss, but if he doesn't know you well he will put out his paw and try to bat you! And God forbid if a stranger should try to pick him up. The front paws start swinging like a prize fighter. The odd thing is that he is as lovable as can be with my daughter and her husband. She blames herself as she has worked full time since she got him and there are no other pets in the house. She feels he just got so used to being alone all the time that now he feels threatened in some way when his home is "invaded." He knows me and most of the time he tolerates me (once even let me pick him up) but I am there pretty often. I don't have any real answers but just wanted you to know you are not alone in this.

Ben E Gas
06-04-2001, 09:01 AM
I'm planning on moving to a bigger place this summer. I wonder how he's going to react to losing his kingdom and being in a new place. Hopefully we'll get a balcony for the little guy.

nsweezie
06-04-2001, 02:44 PM
My cat Clyde is almost pathologically shy. He is really attached to me, but he is for some reason terrified of my sister, who would never dream of hurting him.
We have tried everything, but nothing works. I think that some cats are just one (or two) people cats.

nsweezie
06-04-2001, 02:44 PM
My cat Clyde is almost pathologically shy. He is really attached to me, but he is for some reason terrified of my sister, who would never dream of hurting him.
We have tried everything, but nothing works. I think that some cats are just one (or two) people cats.

thelmalu99
06-04-2001, 04:43 PM
Ben,
Charlie has learned to be calm around other people. He's actually quite friendly now, but the first time friends came over after I got him, he lost it!! He didn't hiss, but he meowed loudly and ran into my room and under the bed as if he had a monster at his heels! When I tried to bring him out, he jumped out of my arms wildly and ran back in the room. I thought he was terribly anti-social, but it turned out ok. He is now almost 1 year old now, but it took several visits from friends for him to be totally relaxed. Maybe Zezu will still grow out of it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Harley
06-05-2001, 07:17 AM
Ben E Gas, my late cat, BeeBee, was much like your kitten. She was certainly never abused but being anti-social around anyone but me was just part of her personality. She, too, would hiss at other people and be generally cranky. A friend of mine always said that BeeBee would have been happy if everyone in the world (except me) would just die. No one ever saw just how loving and fun BeeBee was when it was just the two of us - they just had to take my word for it. Don't worry that your cat doesn't warm up to everyone else - take it as proof that you are special to him and that he loves you.

Ben E Gas
06-05-2001, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone,

I guess I just had a minor problem. Thanks for making me see the light. I will explain my cat to no one ever again. He is who he is. He's a loner. A good friend, but a loner.

-Ben

Catcrazed
06-07-2001, 08:29 PM
My cat is anti-social around EVERYONE!
I don't abuse him, I spend time with him and take care of him and he still doesn't like me!

Catcrazed
06-10-2001, 02:36 PM
No, he came from a loving 14 cat home. I think that's just his purrsonallity. It helps to give him cat nip. He sleeps alot, but I've had the vet check him and he is healthy. Do you think he's depressed?

annibale16
06-19-2001, 06:06 PM
My kittens are now 8 weeks old. The other day I picked one up and she hissed at me! I firmly told her no! and pet her neck and head. She was calm after that. I think you can train your cats to behave if not to be socialable, some cats are just shy and don't like new experiences including people.