PDA

View Full Version : Strange bathroom behavior

Kirsten
11-04-2001, 01:03 PM
Today Luna acted strange when I took a bath. Usually she avoids being in the bathroom because she fell into the bath tub twice as a baby. But today she came in and climbed the edge of the bath tub. There she sat, watching me first and then, after a few minutes, she started pawing at the book I was reading and at my hand. She did this seveval times and was kind of aggressive, especially when I talked to her. After a while, she started licking the water from my leg (usually she's never licking me) and then walked away.

Luna isn't an aggressive cat, she's very calm and behaves very well. So I was more than surprised to see her acting like that today.
Any ideas what made her so mad? I was using another shampoo, maybe she just didn't like the smell? (I once had a brand of soap that made her bite into my hands, very strange!)

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
11-04-2001, 08:44 PM
How cute! Luna aeems like she wants to know what is going on...

Noah is my companion when I take baths, which is usually after school and work at night. He sits on the toilet, but sometimes wants to perch on the side of the tub and watch. He usually licks all the water around him on the tub and will even jump in the tub after my baths to do an inspection. Too cute!! :)

yorkster
11-04-2001, 09:09 PM
It sounds more like Luna was interested in what you were doing, than being aggressive. Alot of cats are fasinated with water- I have a cat that has the nickname 'the waterboy' because he won't stay out of water, i.e. bath, sink, water dish, etc. He stands IN his water dish to drink..........

Former User
11-06-2001, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by yorkster:
<STRONG>He stands IN his water dish to drink..........</STRONG>

:D :D :D :D :D LOL, that must be a sigh :)

wolflady
11-06-2001, 11:39 AM
LOL LOL What IS it with kitties and the sides of bathtubs??? My Marius is totally a bathtub freak if someone is taking a shower, but doesn't like it if he falls in :rolleyes: He especially loves fresh shower feet and will rub his head all over my feet when I get out. He also jumps into the tub after the shower which I think is pretty strange. He like to lick the tub :eek: but I don't think that can be good for him, so I shoo him out...but isn't that wierd?? :confused: ;)

purrley
11-06-2001, 11:48 AM
Wolflady - my Braydee's the same way - likes to sit on the edge of the tub while I bath. I splash some water up there and he likes to lick it off, same thing - as soon as I get out, in he goes and licks the bottom of the tub. Sometimes I like to get his little feetsies wet - I like to watch him shake them off. Makes for a little cheap intertainment for me :)
:D

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

wolflady
11-06-2001, 04:27 PM
purrley...LOL LOL I know what you mean!! Cats can be quite entertaining at times, and the 'paw twitch' is just too funny! ;) I would think that my cat would know by know that it gets wet in the bathtub, but he always acts surprised when his feet get wet :rolleyes:

yorkster
11-06-2001, 09:48 PM
Casper & Kitty- it is quite funny to see this 14 lb. cat in his water dish. Some day soon I will learn how to post pics here.....

Pam
11-07-2001, 06:20 AM
Karen I love the "paw twitch" too!! :D Andy loves to jump on the kitchen counter when I have lots of soapy bubbles in the sink. He scoops them up and then twitches them away and does this over and over again. Of course hubby thinks this is very unsanitary :eek: so I only let him do this when we are alone! ;)

thelmalu99
11-07-2001, 09:13 AM
Hee hee, aren't they funny? Sometimes, Elvis will sit in my lap and I'll notice that parts of him are all wet from being in the bathroom sink licking up water droplets.
When I catch him in there, I like to turn on the water just a little bit to get his head wet. He doesn't like it, but I can't resist...his reaction is just too funny. It's kind of like, hey, where did that water come from?!?! :p

PS-Pam, I love the pics in your signature! Such beautiful babies!! :)

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

gini
11-07-2001, 10:02 AM
<STRONG>Casper & Kitty- it is quite funny to see this 14 lb. cat in his water dish. Some day soon I will learn how to post pics here.....</STRONG>

Oh, I can hardly wait to see your pictures. What a sight.

My kitties always have hated water except to drink. They will go to great lengths to avoid walking in any water if I have watered my plants on the deck.

Former User
11-07-2001, 12:46 PM
Casper has sort of an obsession for tubs. After we've taken a shower, he likes to jump in the tub, and just hang there, sniffing. And when the floor is a bit wet, they both like to walk on it :confused:

Everytime when the toilet door opens, Casper is there for sure, and jumping into the tub. Now that he's a bit bigger, he can juminto the sink too, seems to like it there too. Gotta try to catch a pic, will be hard though, he knnows he's not supposed to be there, and he takes off immediately when we get closer to him.

coolkat
11-07-2001, 02:30 PM
hello i like cats my cat nala like 2 jump in the shower with me !!! weird and also she likes to drink tap water out of the sink and she sleeps in the bathroom 2 :cool: :p :confused: :mad: :D ;) :o :)

AvaJoy
11-11-2001, 07:37 PM
I've never had a cat that was especially interested in water, but years ago one DID enjoy urinating in the dry bathtub! :rolleyes:

I think shortly after that experience was when I became a shower-only person!

wayne0214
11-13-2001, 08:16 PM
Ditto with Yorkster's cat! I have a 6-month old tabby male (named "Water-Cat") because he puts his whole right front leg into any water container he is drinking from, up to his elbow. Appearantly, he sloshes the water around to clean the surface, or for what- ever reason, before he laps it up. Also, I kept noticing that my cat's indoor drinking container was always getting dirt in the bottom practically every day and I kept noticing that he was wet much of the time whenever he came in for feeding or petting. Needless to say, I could't figure it out, until I caught him in what he was doing.

My cats do not enter the shower when I'm in there. But I invariably have a "fan club" of 4 kittens waiting to watch me come out all dripping wet -every day.

..............Wayne

wolflady
11-14-2001, 05:00 PM
Speaking of bathroom behavior...has anyone had any luck with this or tried to get their cat to do this???!!! :D :eek: :o :cool:
http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/photos/toiletside.jpg
ROTFL

yorkster
11-14-2001, 05:34 PM
Wayne- I know what you mean about the water dish being 'dirty' I find lots of things in his dish: toys, paper wads, dirt, cat litter. One of his favorite things is to put his cat food in his water- what a mess!
I finally ended-up having to put his water dish INSIDE a large plastic dishpan because he was always splashing around in the water so much that he emptied it and the floor was always wet.

Marius mom- I was just looking at those at Petsmart the other day, and wondering if I could get my cats to learn to use it. I have a 7 yr. old and a 11 month old kitten. What a great thing if they could- No matter how clean I keep the cat box, there is that smell (not to mention mess).

BigCharles
11-19-2001, 03:43 PM
<STRONG>Marius mom- I was just looking at those at Petsmart the other day, and wondering if I could get my cats to learn to use it. I have a 7 yr. old and a 11 month old kitten. What a great thing if they could- No matter how clean I keep the cat box, there is that smell (not to mention mess).</STRONG>

We got a LitterMaid from Petsmart. My two have learned to use it. We put it in the garage and we have a pet door between the garage and kitchen. We put the pet door into the human door.

The first time Lamoni watched the thing "go" he was fascinated. That is until it picked up his lump and put it in the container. He got offended! He went to the water bowl and lapped up as much water as he could and came right over and made a new lump.

I had to go into the other room to laugh.