PDA

View Full Version : Peeing Puppy

Pokidia
05-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Our ten week old kelpie cross puppy has taken to peeing when she gets excited, for example when she sees us in the morning or when we come home from work. Is this something that she will grow out of or is it a behaviour we need to address with some form of dicipline or training. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lizbud
05-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Please don't scold your pup for this behavior. Pups usually
grow out of this habit. You should not greet the dog with an
excited, high pitched voice as it only makes this worse. If you
all are very low key with comings & goings & even ignore him/her
when leaving, it's will help until the pup matures a bit.

binka_nugget
05-29-2004, 03:36 PM
I'll echo what Lizbud said. When you come home, don't get excited. Make it seem like coming home is no big deal. My cousin's border collie does this and the problem was easily solved when they stopped getting excited. Also with pups, their ability to hold it in isn't that great so as he grows, it should get better.

dragondawg
05-30-2004, 07:37 PM
a submissive dog to be less so. That's what the puppy wee wees are all about. Probably the suggestion of down playing the greeting ceremony will help. But you may never get rid of the behavior completely.

Mable
06-18-2004, 12:52 AM
Actually, i had this problem with my Dachshund. Picture of her! (http://www.mydoghome.com/sugar/)

It is true I think I solved the problem by not showing attention to her at all other than "hey sugar". Let her relax for the first 45 seconds and then love her to death. While I agree it is a submissive behavior, all dogs should be to their owners so to say its a problem, I question. Its tough to not show them attention when they are asking for it but that first minute was KEY. After I did this for 2 weeks I would say, it stopped. Its much like a dog that bellies up every time you walk up to it. NOT GOOD Even old dogs do this submissive behavior. She didn't "grow" out of it. Just my opinion. Now I greet her with kisses! Without the squirt! And she is less than a yr. old. Good luck.

Mable

Rachel
06-30-2004, 07:55 PM
My Hannah, despite being an Alpha Girl, had this problem when greeting her dad upon his coming home. She also had it when guests came and she greeted them. It is always hard to get guests to ignore her, so when I know someone is coming over to the house, I make sure she makes a trip outside before they arrive. An empty bladder makes a world of difference.

Pam
07-01-2004, 06:21 AM
My Bella did this often in the past too. It was usually only on arrival at the groomer's and on the exam table at the vet's :o as he began to examine her. One of my son's friends also had this effect on her. When John would come over she would sprinkle right there at the front door. (Fortunately she never sprinkled on John!) I can say that now, at the age of 3, she is much better. There is an occasional nickel-sized pee on the floor at the groomer's and the vet's and John hasn't been over in a while (lives out of state) so I don't know how she will do the next time she sees him. :rolleyes: With Bella anyway, it has improved greatly but I can't say it is 100% gone.