PDA

View Full Version : what breeds dont your DOGS like

cali
05-17-2004, 03:02 PM
ok many dog have paticular breeds that they just hate for no apparent reason, for example one dog at flyball hates aussies, and happy hates German shorthaired pointers(maybe because the dog I was going to adopt before I got her was a GSP? lol) I know because happy just goes beserk and gets fir in her eyes whenever she see's a GSP, she raced against a team that had 2 over the weekend, she bobbled the ball and booted it back so fast that she could not stop like there was no way a GSP was going to beat HER. when she is not trying to beat them racing as soon as she see's one she goes bonkers like she wants to kill it, now she is not so nice to any dog she does not know but not even close to as beserk as she gets when she see's a pointer. so what breeds do YOUR dogs not like?

Kfamr
05-17-2004, 03:05 PM
I've never heard or seen this before... interesting.

My dogs don't dislike any specific breeds.
I'm not even sure if dogs can tell the difference? :confused:

lute
05-17-2004, 03:20 PM
i agree i've never heard or seen this before either. it's cool i guess. but you could never own a GSP or an Ausi. lol

Beanie doesn't not like any dogs that i know of. he's happy to know everyone as long their nice first.;)

ParNone
05-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I think socialization may have a lot to do with dogs liking or disliking certain breeds.

Oz, who was by far socialized a whole lot more than Murph or Maddie, hasn't met a dog or breed yet that he doesn't like. He loves everybody.

Maddie, who I didn't really socialize at all, she couldn't care less to make friends with any dog, regardless of their breed. She wouldn't go out picking a fight. But they better stay out of her space and my space or she's going after them.

Murph, who I did socialize somewhat, does seem to have some breeds that he likes and some he doesn't. He absolutely adores Goldens, because he had a Golden buddy as a puppy, named Hobbs, that he got to play with quite often. On the dislike side, I've yet to see him like another terrier. Other terriers seem to get the strongest negative response from him. I don't know if it's body posture, because other terriers seem to have a cockiness to them or what exactly he reads in them that sets him off, but there is a major dislike there. He's also had strong reactions towards Rotties too. He was fine with Labs, until my cousin's Lab picked a fight with him, now they're on the list too.

Par...

Cincy'sMom
05-17-2004, 04:02 PM
My mom's dog Dazzi seems to dislike certain breeds. She since was adopted at 2, there is no real way to know if this came from lack of or certain socilization, but she has had issues with several Golden Retrivers and German Short Haired Pointers.

veegan
05-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Brock doesnt dislike anyone. However it seems he has a particular love for dobies, boxers and other aussies. Oh and he goes CRAZY for mini aussies. There are 3 or 4 regulars at marymoor and anytime one of them is there he will NEVER leave it alone. Even when I drag him away he ends up finding them again. I think its because they are so tiny, hyper, fast and yappy. lol

Shelteez2
05-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Clipse doesn't like the husky that lives two doors down from us. I'm not sure why. Before their yard was done they used to tie it up in the front, and when I was walking the dogs past Clipse would get all antsy and posture as we went by. He has met the dog before and they haven't had a problem he just doesn't like him from afar I guess. LOL

My co-worker's dog has a thing against boxers. He's never had a bad experience with them he just hates them. She has to be careful while walking him at the offleash. If she sees another boxer she calls him over to her and makes him heel. When another of my co-worker's got a boxer puppy we were a little concerned as to how Sydney would react, but since Jackson was just a pup when they were introduced it's like Sydney doesn't realize he is a boxer. To Syd he is just Jackson his friend.

My boss's old bouvier also didn't like husky or husky type dogs. When those dogs came in for grooming we would have to put Virgil (the bouvier) away.

Also I've noticed that a lot of dogs don't like pugs. My grandpa's pug is really friendly and outgoing, yet he gets a lot of growls from dogs or dogs will run to get away from him. I think it may have something to do with how they look and how they sound that other dogs aren't used to.

Cincy'sMom
05-17-2004, 04:45 PM
I should also add, Sadie does not like dogs that bark and jump at the fence when we are walking. They can bark, they can run along side the fence, but if they are jumping and barking, she gets very defensive.

Amber
05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Katie really doesn't like any dogs. shes practically anti-scocial.

I have to agree I don't think dogs can tell which breed is which. I guess it's the dog its-self

But if katie had to like dogs, she perfers any small breed dog...Bigger dogs freak her out.

Elvis Im not sure of yet.

Dogz
05-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I have to agree with you, KayAnn.

I don't think dogs can actually tell if the don't like a "specific breed."

Louie (a dog in our obedience class.) is an American Eskimo. I think that Louey and Prince know that they look alike, because they sure do enjoy barking at each other! :p

cali
05-17-2004, 09:50 PM
from what I have seen they sure can. happy was well socialized right from the start she came accross many breeds including GSPs never had a bad experience with one, just one day she was running against a pointer and you could see the fire in her eyes when she saw that dog, others noticed it too, after that I started to notic how she reacsted to differnt breeds, for example she met a shih tzu for the first time and did not have a problem with it, she was just fine, when she met junior yesterday(bosten terrier, who is normally agressive) and happy greeted him calmly, and junor was a good boy too, Ripley greeted junior not so nicley and Ripley is the friendliest dog I have ever seen, never had I seen him meet a dog he didnt like, but he was snarling at junior, suprised the heck outa me, Ripley is half bosten terrier for heaven sakes! happy, she see's some breeds she likes and others she hates, she seems to like shih tzus, and bostens, but hates pointers, other breeds she goes after but NOTHING like she does when she see's a GSP. happy is a smart dog, she get so pissed off whn ea dog gets a false start flyball, and she seems to always know exactly WHICH dog got the false start and braks at the dog, (she follows the dog with her eyes barking, and she is always barking at the right dog!) the only way I know when a dog has a false start is when the judge blws the whistle but that does not indicate WHO had the false, only that there was one(I run second so I have to watch so I know when and if to let her go) i do think that dogs are smart enugh to know the difference with other dogs.

veegan
05-17-2004, 10:03 PM
It seems most logical to think that maybe its just that certain breeds have specific breed-wide temerapments/characteristics that annoy some dogs. same thing with dogs that tend to love certain breeds. and not that dogs know what breeds are which.

Moose
05-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I don't know if breed really makes a difference to my dog -- or any dog -- both my dogs go for the high-energy, playful pups...although Zoey seems to prefer males to females, and Moose is the exact opposite. I guess that's why they get along so well. :p

4 Dog Mother
05-17-2004, 10:12 PM
I have to agree with Cali. Dazzi seems to know what dogs are goldens and gsps. She doesn't have issues with every Golden and Gsp but she checks them out more carefully than other breeds and it is usually those 2 that she gets into real fights with. (Ask Staci as Keegan was one of her first victims, Chip another golden is one she REALLY hates, and there is at least one other golden off the top of my head that she has gotten into it with). As far as GSPs, there are two she gets along with and the others are definitely not her "type". She has also gone after one cocker spaniel and from what we know she is a cocker spaniel/Golden retriever mix. Maybe she is jealous that they are purebred and she is not. I can't think of any reason she should dislike GSPs though.

Kfamr
05-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Maybe it's just the personality/traits of certain breeds... I find it rather hard to imagine that a dog is thinking "Oh, that's a Pit Bull. I hate Pit Bulls"...:p

Simba and Duke are both shepherd mixes.
Nala loves Simba, but has issues with Duke. Duke is the only dog i've seen her not get along with. She's gotten along with all other shepherds/mixes.

Simba just doesn't like hyper dogs, excluding Nala and Honey.

Twisterdog
05-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by veegan
It seems most logical to think that maybe its just that certain breeds have specific breed-wide temerapments/characteristics that annoy some dogs. same thing with dogs that tend to love certain breeds. and not that dogs know what breeds are which.

I agree.

Some dogs don't like bouncy, overbearing, loud dogs - and will therefore growl at them when they get in his or her face. So, a dog like that would probably not really like any dogs of a breed that is known to be bouncy, overbearing and loud. A dog may not like the actions or personality traits of particular dogs, but I do not believe that a dog thinks, "Oh, there's a lab. I don't like labs."

My dogs, for example, aren't particularly fond of shy, nervous dogs. They simple don't have the patience to deal with them, I think. They like dogs that are friendly, eager to do something (like chase a rabbit or dig a hole) and generally "dog-savvy". They have little use for pampered dogs who don't know they're dogs. I think this is because my dogs live in a big pack, where they all "speak dog", if you will. They are also mostly terriers, with a high prey drive and high energy level. They tend to prefer those personality traits over the shy, lap-dog, never-played-with-another-before personality traits.

Twisterdog
05-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Maybe it's just the personality/traits of certain breeds... I find it rather hard to imagine that a dog is thinking "Oh, that's a Pit Bull. I hate Pit Bulls"...:p

A dog may not like the actions or personality traits of particular dogs, but I do not believe that a dog thinks, "Oh, there's a lab. I don't like labs."

*snort*

A case of great minds thinking alike, perchance? ;)

Shelteez2
05-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I agree.

Some dogs don't like bouncy, overbearing, loud dogs - and will therefore growl at them when they get in his or her face. So, a dog like that would probably not really like any dogs of a breed that is known to be bouncy, overbearing and loud. A dog may not like the actions or personality traits of particular dogs, but I do not believe that a dog thinks, "Oh, there's a lab. I don't like labs."

See and I would agree if my experiences had shown that the dogs didn't like these certain dogs after getting close enough to meet. But for my co-worker's dog Sydney to get worked up on sight of a boxer, even way across the park doesn't seem to point to it being the boxer's bouncy friendly nature that he is taking offense to. We also have to be careful with him when bringing boxers in for baths at work.

Same with my boss's bouvier Virgil. He went after Husky's and husky like dogs on sight.

Dogs have eyes and while their eyesight isn't their best sense I think it is accurate enough that they can recognize other breeds.

Twisterdog
05-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
See and I would agree if my experiences had shown that the dogs didn't like these certain dogs after getting close enough to meet. But for my co-worker's dog Sydney to get worked up on sight of a boxer, even way across the park doesn't seem to point to it being the boxer's bouncy friendly nature that he is taking offense to. We also have to be careful with him when bringing boxers in for baths at work.

Same with my boss's bouvier Virgil. He went after Husky's and husky like dogs on sight.

Dogs have eyes and while their eyesight isn't their best sense I think it is accurate enough that they can recognize other breeds.

However ... there has to be some original experience that leads them to that, I would think. If a boxer bit Sydney once, then perhaps Sydney remembers that and dislikes dogs that look like the one that bit him. In the same respect that a dog who was hit by a man wearing a hat may not like men that wear hats. I have a hard time believing, though, that he knows the difference between a boxer and boxer mix and a pit bull that happens to resemble a boxer. There has to be some visual cue that he recognises ... pricked ears and bushy coat, or floppy ears and short legs, etc. The dog may recognise a certain combination of physical characteristics, but a dog does not know which breed each dog is on sight, and then make a value judgement as to whether he likes or dislikes that particular breed as a whole.

I'm not saying that a dog can't recognise a husky vs. a chihuahua. I'm just saying that dogs are not born with some innate prejudice, and decide to hate an entire breed with no reason. Only people are that stupid.

Kfamr
05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm just saying that dogs are not born with some innate prejudice, and decide to hate an entire breed with no reason. Only people are that stupid.

OH, OH, OH... I soooooo love that statement.

It's really scary in a neat way the fact that we both said basically the same thing. :p

Shelteez2
05-17-2004, 11:18 PM
However ... there has to be some original experience that leads them to that, I would think. If a boxer bit Sydney once, then perhaps Sydney remembers that and dislikes dogs that look like the one that bit him.

But Sydney never has had a bad experience with boxers. And it doesn't matter if the boxer has cropped or floppy ears. But you are right that he will sometimes get huffy with some pits that are boxer like. I'm not saying that it is just that he looks at a boxer and says oh there's a boxer and I hate them.

There has to be some visual cue that he recognises ...

That's what I mean though. Dogs of a certain breed are going to have similar visual clues. ie. they look the same. It is not necessarily based on the fact that they act the same.

Also with my grandparent's pug. SO many dogs do not like him, and I believe it's based on looks as many dogs are not exposed to dogs that look like him. In that case I believe it is just a fear of the unknown.

cali
05-17-2004, 11:22 PM
yet never in happys entire life has she actually MET a GSP, not once, she has seen them only through her eyes unless happy is racing the dog in which case she will do anything possable to beat the dog in the race, otherwise I have never been able to get her within 10 feet of a GSP, it is not possable for her to have had a bad experence with a breed she has never met. personality would not fit the case either because happy is jumpy in your face herself, and she is happy to be with dogs she knows that are the same, but she is also very calm, for example she really likes shadow, who is VERY mellow, and not in your face, happy is also shy(she is a huge mix of practicly every charcteristic) there are only 3 breeds that happy has EVER had a bad experience with and not one of them does she hate, jack russles, other border collies, and belgens.

Twisterdog
05-17-2004, 11:49 PM
I guess I'm not being very clear tonight ... maybe I need more caffeine. ;)

I certainly know that dogs can and do form impressions based on all their senses, sight included. He smells steaks coming out of a styromfoam cooler once, and the next time he sees a styrofoam cooler he tries to get the lid off to see if there is a steak inside. A teenage boy in a baseball cap throws a rock at him, and the next time he sees a teenage boy in a hat, he cowers behind his owner. A big, bull-type dog frightens him once when he a puppy, and he growls at all big bull-type dogs he sees. He used to enjoy playing with a large, long-haired dog as a puppy and he is friendly to all large, long-haried dogs he meets now. I believe all these things are true and valid.

What I do NOT believe is that a dog is born with prejudices and "breedism", and can distinguish an entire breed and hate them, for no reason whatsoever. A human is not even born with prejudices and racism, something triggers it - something a child is told or shown or taught encourages and rewards prejudice. No human child is born disliking another race or religion or culture - they are taught to recognise members of that group and taught to dislike them.

SOMETHING is triggering the dog's reactions as well, they do not come from thin air. No puppy is born disliking boxers or huskies or labs - something the dog sees or hears or smells teaches him to recognise and dislike similar animals, whether the similarity happens to be in looks or actions or smell. We might not know about or remember or recognise what the situation was, but it exists, nonetheless. Dogs can hear and smell things we can't detect, and we can't possibly know every nuance of how dogs communicate. Perhaps there was a sound or scent or canine body language present in an initial encounter that we didn't notice - but that nonetheless was engraved in the dog's memory.

I'm not saying a dog can't dislike or fear a dog that looks or acts or smells a certain way. They can and do. But I do not believe for one minute that a dog simply decides to hate every dog of a certain breed, for no reason at all.

Shelteez2
05-18-2004, 12:01 AM
I think we pretty much agree on most things. All I was trying to get across was that some dogs do recognize other breeds of dogs (or like breeds) and dislike them. I wasn't trying to imply that they were born hating them. I agree that a situation could have been something slight that we wouldn't have noticed as opposed to something as blatant as being attacked by a certain breed. I just meant that with Syd there was no obvioius (to us) reason for him to dislike boxers. Nor was there any obvious reason for Virgil to hate huskys.

Anyways I don't think I'm being all that clear either...LOL so I will sign off and hope that at least half of my point has gotten across...

Twisterdog
05-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I think we pretty much agree on most things. All I was trying to get across was that some dogs do recognize other breeds of dogs (or like breeds) and dislike them. I wasn't trying to imply that they were born hating them. I agree that a situation could have been something slight that we wouldn't have noticed as opposed to something as blatant as being attacked by a certain breed. I just meant that with Syd there was no obvioius (to us) reason for him to dislike boxers. Nor was there any obvious reason for Virgil to hate huskys.

Oh, you're just sucking up now because you want to make sure I feed you for two weeks in September, and not make you sleep in your car and eat at McDonalds.

;)

Shelteez2
05-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Oh, you're just sucking up because you want to make sure I feed you for two weeks in September, and not make you sleep in your car and eat at McDonalds.

;)

Doh you got me there..... although I'm a kid at heart and don't mind eating at McDonalds..... and my car is really pretty and comfy so you'll have to come up with better threats than that.... ;)

Cookiebaker
05-18-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I would have thought this as well. However, in our second round of dog training with Malone, there was an Akita that had a thing for labs. He was totally fine with every other kind of dog in the class, but when a lab was near him, he would totally spaz out. :rolleyes: We learned to stay *far* away from him. :p It was really weird.

cloverfdx
05-18-2004, 06:27 AM
I am going to have to agree with Cali and Shelteez on this one. (Maybe it is a dog sport people thing) ;)

My Clover has never had a bad experience with Rottweilers but goes completly beserk when she see's one, It can be next to her in an Obedience class or on the other side of the park it does not matter. I now refuse to race her against Rottys in Flyball after she went after one.

Blue merle Cocker Spaniels are another hate and she has never been attacked, growled at or even barked at by one. We see ALOT of this thing in Flyball and our poor Boxers are realy hated by alot of dogs. (One who bit a child a few weeks ago and was not reported) :mad:

Clover also adores GSD it does not matter if she has ever met the dog, she just loves them and can spot a GSD amongst a group of mixed breed dogs from across the park. :eek:

Penny hates black Labradors again no bad experiences.

Elvis is supprisingly not keen on other Border Collies. :rolleyes: And loves black Labs.

anna_66
05-18-2004, 06:37 AM
I have to agree I don't think dogs can tell which breed is which. I guess it's the dog its-self

I have to disagree with this statement and let me tell you why.

When we were at the Pawsfest on Sunday I seen 2 huskies and walked over to them. The first thing Roxey did was growl at both of them. She pretty much had a problem with them all day:( We walked by so many other dogs and she'd sniff and walk away. Not once did she growl at another dog.
Also we went to PetsMart for a play night and she got along wonderfully with all the dogs until another husky came in. Again, the first thing she did was go up to it and growl.

Now, I'm not saying she hates other huskies. I think she's just trying to be dominate with them and show them she's boss (or so she thinks:)).
Given time I think she would have played with these dogs but of course she growls and the owners don't want her near their dogs:(

Woah, sorry this was so long!

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-18-2004, 07:05 AM
My boys like all breeds but I have noticed they get extra excited if the meet the breed they are.

4 Dog Mother
05-18-2004, 07:55 AM
I have to say that I think several people are reading into what some of us are trying to say. I don't think Dazzi thinks here is a golden, I hate it, I am going to get it. She checks out all dogs as they come near. But if it is a golden, she will go after it. I never said that there wasn't something about the dog, hair, ears, smell or whatever that she recognized - just that for whatever reason she does not get along with most goldens and gsps. And Anna may be right, as I did say it may have to do with the fact that she is part golden and she feels a need to dominate. The one thing I can tell you is that I leash her when I see a golden or cocker spaniel or gsp coming into the park now as she has drawn blood on 2 different goldens, 1 gsp, and 1 cocker spaniel. Sometimes I can let her off the leash while they are there, other times I can't.

She is also not found of any dog that tries to mount her. But she does not go after every dog of a certain breed that has tried.