PDA

View Full Version : Music hath charms?

tuxluvr
11-03-2001, 10:53 AM
Ritz is the first cat I've had who reacts to music. When I first brought her home as a sweet tiny kitten, she was frightened and very vocal in the kitty carrier on the long ride home. I tried everything, talking, playing the radio, everything....then I shut the radio off and started singing to her. She immediately calmed down and went to sleep.

At home, when I play the piano, she comes into the room and often settles in for a nap, recently she jumps into my lap or on the piano bench while I'm playing and falls asleep.

Is it the vibration? Does it sound like "meowing"? Any other music loving kitties out there?

thelmalu99
11-05-2001, 10:07 AM
How does the saying go, music soothes the savage beast?
My cats respond to music, too. Sometimes, when I blast the music, they leave the room. They like the calmer stuff best. Just this weekend, they were acting kind of hyper and I put on Coldplay's album Parachutes (good album!), and they calmed right down, snuggled on the couch with me and all three of us took a nap. :)

Karen
11-05-2001, 05:10 PM
The old saying goes:

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast."

I think "It depends on the music and the beast in question!"

lizbud
11-05-2001, 05:54 PM
I always leave the radio on when I'm out
of the house.My kitty's like the "Cool Jazz'
Station.(Mostly Sax & Piano)..Really...
You can actually see them psysicaly relax
to the music.My dog likes Country & Jazz..
I would only admit this kind of thing to
fellow Pet Talkers...

purrley
11-06-2001, 07:17 AM
I'm a Celine Dion fan and I love to sing along - my poor Chocolate Point (Spencer) gets so concerned - he thinks I'm ill or something - he gets right up in my face and swats me with his paw - like he's saying "SNAP OUT OF IT" LOL. :D :D

aguu
11-06-2001, 08:04 AM
LOL!! Themalu -I'll have to try "Parachutes" - it's one of my latest faves. I wonder if Catya will appreciate my musical taste! :cool:

wayne0214
11-14-2001, 06:50 AM
My cats thoroughly enjoy any classical selections, it definitely calms them down and they all lay around the room listening to it. Many years ago I had a large classical Asian music collection, and the cats I had then also enjoyed it very much, even more so than western classical music. I beleive that the Asian music had more sounds that they could identify with, such as the East Indian esraj (sounds like the human voice) and sarangi (sounds like a cello played in a marble hall) (both are bowed instruments) , or the South Indian veena.

Former User
11-14-2001, 06:53 AM
LO LOL LOL Purrley!!