PDA

View Full Version : Hubby to the shelter!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-17-2004, 10:30 AM
HAHA - nope - I DIDN'T leave him there to find a new home ;)

I was interested by CCL's comments about the conditions at the
shelter being more than her hubby could bear! Today FOR THE
FIRST TIME EVER my hubby came with me to the shelter. His first
comments were "what a dump" (which it is - the buildings are ugly and falling apart, and everywhere is just dirty and dusty.
It's hard to be houseproud when you are in a bunch of shacks in the middle of a wasteground!!)

BUT he did leave there with a much deeper understanding of why I spend time there, and an overwhelming respect for the Sanctuary manager
and the other full-time and volunteer staff.

We went to visit "our" doggie TAG (They have called him Victor at the shelter, but if/when he comes home with us his name will be TAG). We also spent a while in the cattery -
he had a great time playing with the kittens, and was quite entranced by poor old
three-legged Candy. I dropped a couple of hints about how she has been there for ages, and hasn't found a home, and he is feeling quite sorry for her at the moment!!!

He also understood (eventually) the dilemma faced by the older
cats - I pointed out that EVEN HE had gravitated to the cute kittens and puppies - so he now understands first-hand how
important an event it is when we home an adult animal!

This is what the inside of the cattery looks like (there is a top and
bottom row of cages along each side, and they lead out into enclosures with cat trees, shelves etc to lie on - although it's a bit hot now, so most of them prefer to be inside).

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/JulieBahrain/Shelter%20Cats/DSCF4631.jpg

Some kitten pictures (just for fun!)

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/JulieBahrain/Shelter%20Cats/DSCF4629.jpg

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/JulieBahrain/Shelter%20Cats/DSCF4644.jpg

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/JulieBahrain/Shelter%20Cats/DSCF4637.jpg

Barbara
05-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Aaawwww- those pictures, those eyes:) :(

I think your husband shows courage and respect to go there and he really tries to get an understanding of you! Great of him.

I hope the best for all these adorable creatures.

catcrazylady
05-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Good job Julie!!! If you can get them in there then they do begin to understand just how much these kitties need homes. I have drug my hubby in just a few times and he has no desire to go back. He can't stand seeing them caged. When we talked about Magoo I told him that I wasn't bringing him home until he went to the shelter and really looked at him and spent a few minutes with him. He did, saw how very small Magoo's space was and the rest is history. He hates the place and would love to help them all but as we know that can't be done.
I know you called your shelter a dump but I would give anything if ours had doors like that with windows and access to enclosures! Ours are stuck in metal cages with only a screened front for most of them. Some are fortunate enough to be in floor cages with shelves so they can jump around some. All shelters are just so sad!
Anyway, if at all possible see if you can get him to go back. Before you know it he will be dragging something home!!

edit:I got so excited I forgot to mention those TOO CUTE AND ADORABLE BABIES!!! I think I have decided that I want little orange and white one for Leroy!

NoahsMommy
05-17-2004, 11:27 AM
That's a great idea to take your hubby to the shelter with you. Now he can understand where you're coming from. :)

Sadly, the "youth" trend is alive here too. :( No one wants older animals when they can have puppies and kittens.

Laura's Babies
05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
It is so, so darn sad to see those frightened little faces. Everyone one of them deserve a home where they are loved, petted and taken proper care of. I just don't know if I could do what you do and keep my sanity! God Bless you and those who do what you do!

RedHedd
05-17-2004, 12:16 PM
WOW! Those pictures are almost life-sized!

QueenScoopalot
05-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Look on the bright side....even though you say the place is run down etc. it sure beats the streets! ;) ;) ;) The place looks nice and sunny and cheery as opposed to what they came from. Eating from filthy dumpsters, sleeping under dirty porches, hungry all the time. There's a bright side to any shelter IMO!:)

catlover4ever
05-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I wish I could get my hubby to go to a shelter with me but I think he is a little afraid that he would fall in love with more than one kitty and have to go back on his word of"NO MORE"....afterall, "NO MORE" was what he said when Mystic showed up on the doorstep......now Mystic is a "DADDY'S GIRL"!!!! :o :p :o

Those kittens are absolutely adorable, but you sure did make a good point to your hubby about the older kitties.....it seems like they get left behind and it is such a shame, afterall I think everyone should get the wonders and joys of owning a senior citizen....or should I say the senior citizens own their owners....don't I know with my Tucker. She sure does have me wrapped around her paws. :) ;)

kimlovescats
05-17-2004, 12:30 PM
I think it is wonderful that your hubby agreed to go with you ... I know when my Jerry went with me to adopt Griffin, he was very touched. He said he really doesn't want to go back there again! You know why? Because not only would it break his cat-loving heart, but he would want to bring another one home!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
I think it is wonderful that your hubby agreed to go with you ... I know when my Jerry went with me to adopt Griffin, he was very touched. He said he really doesn't want to go back there again! You know why? Because not only would it break his cat-loving heart, but he would want to bring another one home!;)

This is exactly why I can't bring myself to go to a shelter, and I know Terry would be the same way. ;) :( :)

Julie, I think it's great that your hubby went to the shelter. Like others have said, he now understands where you're coming from so much more than before, and maybe he won't give you so much grief when you put yourself in possible danger to try and rescue a kitty off the streets.

Good job - as usual! :)