PDA

View Full Version : Chloe to the Vet for her spaying....

sasvermont
05-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Well, Camp Vermont has put off spaying Chloe as long as possible and it is time. I was hoping to wait until after Barbara visits Camp Vermont in early June, but Chloe needs to go sooner rather than later! Thursday morning I will drop her off. She is such a cry baby that I am tempted to take JuniRose in for a tooth cleaning at the same time, to keep her company. Maybe I would be adding insult to injury, having two cats taking medication etc. at the same time. Let me re-think the Juni / Chloe dual visit.

Anyway, I always have anxiety about subjecting my pets to surgery. I feel gulity in a way, but would feel even worse if she got out and got pregnant.

So, please keep little monster Chloe in your thoughts this coming Thursday. She is a very tiny girl for her age and also very skinny. She seems too tiny to spay, but age wise, she is ready. She will be fine, I just know. So off to the vet with Ms. Cry Baby!

SAS

PayItForward
05-17-2004, 08:30 AM
It is hard when one of our furbabies needs an operation. :(

But you know you are doing the best thing for Chloe, not only will she not have to suffer heat cycles, she'll have much reduction chance of developing cancer. :)

{{{Hugs}}} for you on Thursday.

slick
05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
All fingers and paws crossed here for Thursday. We'll be thinking of you.

Laura's Babies
05-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Thoughts go with her for her surgery. I was a basket case when Amy had to have hers because of her problems and when I say basket case, I mean a real worried Meowmie, crying, wringing hands, pacing the floor kind. I even had to get my daughter to come take her because I knew I would be a crying, blubbering idiot if I took her myself and I didn't want that gang at the vets office seeing me act like that. So, my thoughts go with her and will be thinking about you too..

Barbara
05-17-2004, 10:32 AM
I will keep Chloe baby in my thoughts:)

Tell her if she's a good girl then her auntie from Germany will bring her some treats;)

I can understand how you feel but I am sure she will be ok. When Filou had that age he looked like a thin and skinny teenager. His legs had grown so much. Like with many skin-kids too it was not the time when he was looking best.

Kissies to her. And to Juni. Filou sends his regards and says the worst with the tooth cleaning is that they starve you the night before;)

Scritchies, nosekissies and headbumpies to all (?) of you!

ramanth
05-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Keeping Chloe in my thoughts. :)

Steffi N
05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Hopeful thoughts going out that everything goes okay with dear Chloe on Thursday.

shais_mom
05-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent to you and Chloe!

krazyaboutkatz
05-18-2004, 12:03 AM
I'll be keeping Chloe in my thoughts and hope that everything goes well on Thurs. I'm sure she'll be just fine.:)

Pam
05-18-2004, 06:27 AM
(((Hugs))) to you and Chloe on her SirJury. I know you probably need them more than she does. Please do check in afterwards and let us know how the little cutie pie did. :)

kimlovescats
05-18-2004, 08:48 AM
I am sure that Chloe will do fine .... give her extra scritchies for me! ;)

cloverfdx
05-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Warm thoughts and prayers on the way for Chloe.

Vermontcat
05-18-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm sending good thoughts to you and Chloe!:)
I knew that you would be bringing Chloe in soon to be spayed I just couldn't remember when.
Just think, once she is spayed then you can leash train her so you can take her and Juni out to play!:)

I know it has been a month since I visited and took photos, any chance that you may have some recent photos of Chloe and her sisters (bunny sis too) to post?;)

sasvermont
05-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Thank you for all the good wishes for Ms. Cry Baby Chloe. I have decided that having Juni as a partner would be a mistake and Chloe will have to go it alone.

I am downloading a few new photos of Juni and Cinnamon. Juni is being bad, as usual.

Enjoy them once they load!

SAS

sasvermont
05-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Cinnamon, up close and personal:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p7669825ed892968fe1888ab81811de44/f89dd447.jpg
I took this photo series of Juni over this past weekend. She had decided that sitting on the top of a clothes tree would be fun. It is NOT the first time she has done this. Go figure.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p96596c8e0d2954759989ffe73a8f4cd6/f89dd435.jpg
I THINK this position is comfortable Mom, I don't know why you seem so upset.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p3705d384b31d8d1210b7095c4af34a0d/f89dd442.jpg
I think I can reach the top of the other door jam, if I really try.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p9495dc132e50939b694589430df1f74e/f89dd446.jpg Maybe I will face the other way, and then jump to the bed.

more photos in the next post

sasvermont
05-19-2004, 07:07 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p745b6be7655d89a82107d8b2d78fa09c/f89dd43d.jpg
Maybe I SHOULD get down and stop digging my toe nails into my Mom's clothes.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p1d49bef079a4c506d64afe5494a75129/f89dd43f.jpg
This surely is fun. I wonder how long I can stand like this without falling and taking the tree over with me?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p745b6be7655d89a82107d8b2d78fa09c/f89dd43d.jpg
Well, as much fun as this is for me, I think I need to get down. Hmmmmmmmm. Mom IS watching, so I had better not hang on to any sweaters or nice shirts. I think I will aim for the bathrobe.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/pd6d15517fc7a9324c9ec5bda47d99d92/f89dd43a.jpg
Gotta go.

Hope you enjoyed my adventure!

Love,
JuniRose.....and Cinnamon....

Randi
05-19-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm sending best wishes that Chloes' spaying goes well - I'm sure it will! ;)

What wonderful pictures of Juni Rose!! I'm amazed that she could get down without tipping the clothes tree! Good girl! :D

kimlovescats
05-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Thank you for the gorgeous pics!!!! Juni is so stunning, and little Cinnamon is a cutie pie!!! :D

Barbara
05-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Juni Rose is in purrfect shape! Oh how much I love Abys in that nawtee teeny age:)

Can't wait to meet you and Cinnamon in purrson.

And Chloe will be fine- although you will have a starving night tonight:(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
What a silly Juni Rose! :D

I'm sure Chloe baby will be fine, but I'll be sending positive thoughts her way - and yours tonight as you deal with a hungry little girl. :)

Vermontcat
05-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks for posting some new photos Sas!:D
Juni is such a cute little monkey! Cinnamon bunny looks as snuggly as ever!
Keep us updated on how sweet Chloe does at the vets tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and baby Chloe.:)

Steffi N
05-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Juni looks like she is having fun being nawtee :)

krazyaboutkatz
05-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Juni sure is a cute looking nawtee girl and Cinnamon is such a cutie pie too.:)
I'll be thinking of Chloe and hoping that things go well. Please keep us updated.

ChrisH
05-20-2004, 05:27 AM
Keeping Chloe in my thoughts today, hope all goes well.

Thanks for the great pictures of gorgeous Juni and sweet Cinnamon. :D

Chris

Pam
05-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Fingers & paws crossed here for Chloe today! I love the pictures of Juni Rose, the balancing artist. I am always amazed when I see sleek, trim kitties poised so gracefully. Trevor and Andy would have had that clothes tree down before they made it to the top . (if they had even dared to try) :rolleyes:

Cataholic
05-20-2004, 08:10 AM
As usual, Little Juni Rose steals the thread! What a climber she is...so Abyish.

Good luck to Chloe today. I know exactly how you feel. Tenny went in for a tooth cleaning this am...and I felt so horrible starving him and all the others all night long, then, crating him and putting food down for everyone else. :(

slick
05-20-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm saying a little prayer for Chloe this morning. Good luck sweetie. Don't worry everything will be OK.

sasvermont
05-20-2004, 09:33 AM
I fed the monsters around 10:30 last night....then nothing until I left for the vet. All three were acting as though I was trying to starve them to death. Chloe went right in her container...and then howled the entire way to the vet. She lived up to her "cry baby" title. The Vet will call me at noon for an update. I will pick her up tomorrow evening, after work. I am sure she will be fine. I elected to NOT take Juni in for a teeth cleaning at the same time. I wasn't sure I could capture two cats in the same morning without having to re-shower etc. after trying to catch Ms. Juni in particuliar. She is one tough cookie when it comes to wiggles etc.

So, I will give you an update tomorrow. We should have a quiet evening without Chloe!

Sas - and thank you for all of your kind and positive thoughts!

Barbara
05-20-2004, 11:38 AM
I know how it is! The hungry cats (telling you all the time you are the bad stepmom), the howling in the car. You do the best for them and end up with a bad conscience. I am thinking of all of you and hope at least Cinnamon keeps quiet:)

NoahsMommy
05-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Today is spay day! :)

She'll do well, I'm sure of it. She's such a little character in those pictures! :)

Just think, you are giving the vet staff the privilige of hanging out with your Chloe. The BEST part of my day at work is visiting with all the kitties there that day. Chloe will win them all over...maybe she'll get some extra pain meds out of it. hee hee ;)

sasvermont
05-20-2004, 12:51 PM
The vet was hinting that they may let Chloe (Ms. Loud Mouth) go home tonight - since she seems to not to want to be penned up in a cage! I will call the Vet around 4, to see what they have decided.

She flew through the proceedure, although they put staples in her rather than just stitches.....so she will need another visit to have them removed. The Vet was afraid she would open herself up wide and then we would have to re-stitch etc. Of course she will have an Ecollar when she comes home. No sleep for SAS et al.

;)

Logan
05-20-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm glad she did fine, SAS!! You will have your hands full, with that collar, for sure, but hopefully in no time, it will be gone and your energetic little Chloe will be back to normal!!! :D

kimlovescats
05-20-2004, 01:38 PM
What a relief to hear that our Chloe did well with her spay! Poor baby is crying for her Mommy!!! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
05-20-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Chloe's spay surgery went well.:) I hope she's a good little girl and behaves so her incision heals quickly and completely. Take care.

slick
05-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Gosh that's great news that she came through OK. I just knew there wouldn't be a problem. I hope you have the extra treats handy.

sasvermont
05-21-2004, 05:21 AM
I called the vet at 4 and they decided that she should stay the night. The meds they gave her knocked her for a loop and she quieted down quite a bit. I will pick her up tonight, around 4:30. That way they will have monitored her potty and eating habits to make sure she is eliminating etc. properly. We all know how important that aspect of health is for our pets!

Last night Juni was looking around for Chloe. Miley had her flag out, celebrating the disappearance of one cat.... (more time for her, with MOM).....and Cinnamon, the rabbit was a bit relieved as well. Once less attack monster to deal with. Although two cats seem to fit in better, I would never consider rehoming Chloe. She is just too sweet and funny - and I love her so. I would rehome anyone of them if something went wrong with the relationships like what happened with Ti. If you look hard enough, you can find the right home, I do believe.

Well, I have a busy weekend ahead and I hope Chloe learns to relax with her Ecollar on.....and all of the attention from Juni...... I bet the other two cats hiss at her when she comes home.... EWwwwwww....the smell!

Thanks again for all of your kind words and support.

SAS

Pam
05-21-2004, 06:01 AM
I'm glad all went well, and good luck with the 'home coming' and the E Collar! :eek: I love reading your posts because they give such insight into the unique personalities of your little ones; Chloe the cry baby, Juni Rose the adventurous little scamp, and Miley the sensitive and often misunderstood matriarch of the clan! :p SAS it probably worked out better with the overnight stay for Chloe. Now if she is *vocal* all night long at least you don't have to get up for work tomorrow! :)

Barbara
05-21-2004, 06:58 AM
At least Chloe will appreciate her home. Tigris started purring immediately when he came home from the vet;)

Hope they all will accept visitors;) It will be so hard for us not to try and kiss them all the time:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Yeah! I'm so glad Chloe came through with flying colors. Knowing how active Abys are, it's probably best that they kept her overnight. Good luck with the homecoming. I'm sure things will settle back to normal in no time and peace will reign once more at Camp Vermont. :D

Vermontcat
05-21-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Chloe did well and that she is back home tonight.

Originally posted by Barbara

Hope they all will accept visitors;) It will be so hard for us not to try and kiss them all the time:rolleyes:

Barbara, speaking from experience I can say that they love visitors.
Juni will be in your face all the time especially if you have some food.;)
Good luck holding them for kisses though, I found it hard to hold onto Chloe or Juni for more than a few seconds before they ran off to explore and play.
You will have so much fun visiting Camp Vermont!:)

sasvermont
05-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Chloe was ready to leave the vet's. They were ready for her departure as well. Although she was welcomed back any time, they said she built up her anxiety as the day progressed and peaked just as I got there at 4:15. She was howling. Once I let her out of the container, in the car, she was fine. She hates being confined. I will not let her out on the way to the vet, but the ride home is ok with me. She just sits and looks out the windows!

Last night was horrible. I had a five year old child sleeping with me..... (a favor to a friend).....Chloe aka Ms. Lampshade head....Miley and JuniRose. I thought about putting the rabbit in the bed, but she was already settled in for the night. The child kept kicking me, Chloe kept klunking into things and Miley kept hissing. Juni would paw at the Ecollar from time to time. The child slept, I DID NOT.

I have a four hour round trip, trip today and I wonder how many times I will need to pull over for a nap!

Chloe is fine. She hates the collar and isn't very good at negotiating corners or eating with it on. Since she is so soon out of surgery, I dare not take the collar off for fear that she will remove her staples. Other than the collar, she seems fine. She is jumping all over the place......and yet still walking like a drunken sailor with that collar guarding her vision a bit.

Anyway, other than the lack of sleep at my end, things are fine here!

:rolleyes:

PayItForward
05-22-2004, 05:54 AM
That sound one horrible night. I am such a monster if I don't get enough sleep, I need 8 hours sleep a night minimum.

Hope you long drive goes alright today and sending hugs for Chloe may she get used to the collar quickly. :)

Pam
05-22-2004, 06:51 AM
SAS you have done it again! I am sitting here laughing at the vivid description of your evening. No matter what you are going through you always seem to be able to put a comedic spin on it! I really hope that you don't feel too bad today doing all of that driving. I have heard that singing along with the radio helps one stay awake! How's your voice? LOL! It seems that Chloe sailed through the surgery and now hopefully will do just as well with her recovery. Thank you for the laughs again at the mental picture your story conjured up. :)

Steffi N
05-22-2004, 09:48 AM
I am glad Chloe is home and is fine. Wishing you a safe drive and a good sleep tonight. :)

Barbara
05-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Ok, there ARE some good news in your description: Chloe is very ok healthwise:D

I know how a night feels in which the cats are as night active as can be (well, who doesn't on this board) and Abys are more active than most other cats, so I hope you can manage your mitten excursion well.:)

Cataholic
05-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I am tired just reading about your evening! Good news about Chloe, though..
:D

sasvermont
05-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Well, I dropped the five year old off in the same town where I have my mittens for sale. That was what I was doing with the child last night. I met her parents at a play last night, and brought the child home with me only to deposit her with her Grandmother for a few days, in Quechee, a little town on the VT NH border.

Chloe is getting the hang of the collar. The vet called and left a message asking if she was trying to remove her stitches.... it sounded as though they thought I had removed the collar...hmmmmmmm....maybe tomorrow. Poor Chloe. She sits with her head hanging over things.....in the most uncomfortable poses.....she will be so happy to have the collar removed. I will test her tomorrow.

I haven't heard any more hissing today. Juni was even hissing at Chloe. I think the stink from the vet along with the silly collar created a real stir here for awhile.

Last night Chloe stuck to my side, in bed, although the other two just walked around, hissing at Chloe and sniffing the child trying to sleep. Chloe, as I mentioned before, just tried to keep a low profile, sleep and not klunk into things.....tried.....and then tried some more!

I stopped once for an hour nap on the ride home to South Hero from Quechee. I was too tired to feel comfortable on the road, in the rain..... I just conked out - fell over - curled up on the front seat.... I have a manual transmission....so the gear shift was my best friend for about an hour. I felt refreshed after the rest.....didn't look it....but felt it. I had a few nasty looking sleep marks on my one cheek and my hair ..... well... you get the picture.... at least I wasn't a risk to the general public after the nap....except maybe I would scare another driver....

:eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
Chloe is getting the hang of the collar. The vet called and left a message asking if she was trying to remove her stitches.... it sounded as though they thought I had removed the collar...

I think maybe the vet might have thought that Chloe may have removed the collar! ;) :D

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well with her, and you're much better for the wear after a little nap.

Camp Vermont is whole and happy again! :D

sasvermont
05-23-2004, 06:02 AM
As one might expect, Chloe went directly for her stitches, so the lampshade went right back on. I will call the vet tomorrow anyway, as I need to respond to their inquiry about how Chloe is doing. I will ask them when I might be allowed to remove the collar, knowing that the cat will start at the stitches. You have to see this poor kitty trying to navigate the water dish and food bowls. She must be plain old stupid. My other two cats seemed to get with the program easily. Chloe seems to be off balance having the collar on...the other two were fine walking....Maybe it has something to do with the vision field being altered.

I had a really good night's sleep last night. I feel totally refreshed.

;)

Barbara
05-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Good, at least you feel better:)

Poor Chloe baby. She can't be happy like that and maybe is too tired to even react to Juni's and Miley's hissing. Some more days and it'll be over.

{{{hugs}}}

Rachel
05-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont
As one might expect, Chloe went directly for her stitches, so the lampshade went right back on. I will call the vet tomorrow anyway, as I need to respond to their inquiry about how Chloe is doing. I will ask them when I might be allowed to remove the collar, knowing that the cat will start at the stitches. You have to see this poor kitty trying to navigate the water dish and food bowls. ;)

Maybe you could try removing the collar for mealtime and then put it back on again. At least while she is eating she would be distracted from wanting to get at her stitches. Does the wound appear to be healing as it should? Hannah did necessitate some antibiotics after her spaying because of an infection. So trust your instincts if you think she is being that much different from what you expect based on your previous experiences.

And keeping a five year old overnight and on a trip...my goodness, were you crazy?:p

sasvermont
05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Here is a photo taken only moments ago. I cannot believe my MOM keeps putting this thing back over my head. I hate it and try to make her feel as guilty as possible for making me wear it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/pf66cdc34a3211193b9509b7eafd89cee/f8910267.jpg

Here is a close up. The nerve of her to put that flashing thing in front of me.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/p9595574152fa64dc4ece8da09d092ef2/f891025f.jpg

Well, finally, after three days of wearing this awful collar, my Mom remembered that she had sent away for a different kind of collar a few months ago. She found the collar and here it is. Do I like it better, well, that is hard to say. I think she thinks it looks more comfortable, but it is still a pain in the ...... neck.... I do like the color!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/p2f87899c8d5b0962eb83d8c19e3c2eb0/f8910259.jpg

When will this end? Someone, please help me!

Steffi N
05-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Oh the nerve of some mommies. :eek: Not only is that plastic THING uncomfortable, but you can barely see over it and worst of all it has NO STYLE. I am glad she remembered that she had the nice blue collar for you instead. Anyway keep your chin up Chloe girl and remember your mommy loves you and wants you be a good girl and leave your stitches alone.
I hope the pitiful look is getting you extra cuddles and treats. :)

Barbara
05-24-2004, 05:18 AM
Dear Chloe, mommies who have a bad conscience are the best:)

Look at her as pitiful as you can and I am sure she will get the treat box out.

Filou

Dear Chloe,
in two weeks time you will get my treats. In front of our entrance door there is a big bag full of kitty treats. I thought they were for me but my mom said no she will them all take away. I think that's worse than a collar

Tigris

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Cataholic
05-24-2004, 06:42 AM
Dear Chloe,
You look stunning in Blue!
Dakky

Pam
05-24-2004, 06:50 AM
These pictures are darling and sad at the same time. :) Chloe you look like you are about to get a haircut in that pretty blue collar. :D SAS I do think the blue one must be much more comfortable for her. At least she should be able to reach her food and water easier.

sasvermont
05-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I just talked with the vet and Chloe must wear the collar until her stitches are removed on June 1st...or if she leaves them alone. My guess is that she will NOT leave them alone, and I cannot trust her while she is alone....so it seems as though the collar will be her best friend for several days. I have TWO of the same blue collar, so if she rids herself of one....or if it becomes dirty....I have a backup one.....She will be disappointed to know this, I am sure!

She seems a tad happier with the blue collar. Tad.....

Randi
05-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh Chloe girl, you must be happy that your mom found that blue collar for you, so you can eat and drink easier. It looks much more comfy! :)

Hang in there Chloe, there's only a few more days to go and you'll be out of it. Hope the sticthes heal up soon!

Fister had the first kind on for 10 days after his operation, I'm glad we didn't see him until the 5th day. :eek: But after getting home, he handled it quite well. :)