PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Your Cat Does while Your Gone?!

Maylo
05-31-2001, 07:06 PM
What do you think your cat does when you are at work, shopping, school?!

4 feline house
05-31-2001, 07:49 PM
Sleep.

aly
05-31-2001, 08:30 PM
Shiloh sleeps so she's ready for my bedtime which consists of her jumping all over me until I get up and chase her for awhile.

Pam
05-31-2001, 09:24 PM
Sleep! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

alexnell
06-01-2001, 12:04 AM
My cats pretend to sleep. They are actually plotting their takeover of the world.

TheAntiPam
06-01-2001, 03:52 AM
My cat Murf, a big orange tabby, does his part to prevent a California energy crisis. He plays "Solar Energy Kitty" all day while I'm gone. Soaking up the sun gives him the wattage to powernap later!

My cat Daisy, now gone to the Rainbow Bridge, would plot all day on just the right place to stand between my feet to catch any dropped morsels of food. Or, if there was no food, she planned the exact spot to get bumped by a moving foot. Not enough bump to hurt, but enough to make me feel guilty and give her a treat.

My cat Winston, blind since birth, spends his day dreaming of Three Blind Mice, or possibly getting his own seeing eye mouse.

Love those kitties!

4 feline house
06-01-2001, 03:56 AM
Hmmm, do I see a trend here?

Anyone still not convinced that cats are nocturnal?

I have just had one of my middle-of-the-night insulin reactions, so as per usual I will be wide awake for an hour or two. It's four o'clock in the morning and all the cats are up and active - playing and chasing each other.

Besides my blood sugar crashes, I am also an occasional insomniac, and a hopeless night owl (which is probably why the insomnia!). I have never been awake in the middle of the night and seen a sleeping cat, unless it's a kitten, ill, or old.

4 feline house
06-01-2001, 03:58 AM
AntiPam-we were posting at the same time, so I have to come back on to giggle at your "solar energy kitty" http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif! He he!

Ben E Gas
06-01-2001, 07:43 AM
Alexnell has it right, 'plotting to take over the world'.

Or in my case, zezu is plotting to take over the birdcage, tirtlecage and fishtank.

------------------
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/Ra/IX/oN/Dz70374.jpg
Igor Inc. (c)2001

KathyA
06-01-2001, 07:51 AM
I have often wondered this. I'd like to rig up some sort of camera system to see where they go?

I'm sure it's nothing exciting - they are nearly always in when I get in. They are also not very keen on going out unless the weather is really nice.

I suspect they are sleeping. My two like to sleep all the time - day or night. I think they are the laziest cats in the world :-D

annibale16
06-01-2001, 08:26 AM
My outside cats are have a pattern of eat, sleep, play, hunt, eat, sleep etc.
Maddie, inside, is different. I believe she sleeps all day too, but she does sleep some at night, so I think she is watching the outside cats play. I also think she watches TV,cooks an omelet and reads the paper.
I live alone and my mom wants me to take my dog back to stay with me at night for a watch dog.(I had to stay with them awhile and now my dog, Angus, won't leave them)
I told her that I had a watch kitty, because Maddie is up all night and she would definitely tell me if someone came in.

thelmalu99
06-01-2001, 12:01 PM
I have often wondered if Charlie the Terrible doesn't spend at least some time terrorizing Yertle the Turtle.
I'm sure he spends most of the time sleeping, but I would be interested in knowing what he gets up to in between naps. I think the kitty-cam idea is a good one! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

bugmom
06-01-2001, 12:06 PM
My cat, Scarlet, explores the house during the day. I find little presents and things that only she could reach out of place. She also takes the opportunity to sleep on the pillow (the "horrible" dog is gone!) She loves the quiet of the day since the house becomes her domain!

Maylo
06-01-2001, 03:44 PM
YOu guys have cool answers!
Keep it going http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif

------------------
~Maylo~

Mousgroupy
06-01-2001, 03:51 PM
My cats find new and ingenius ways to fry my brain while I am at work. How about, for no apparent reason, knocking off everything on the bathroom counter weighing less than they do?
Or, out of the blue, eating spanish moss used to decorate the bottom of a silk plant(LONG since gave up real plants as THAT was way too much temptaion for their little cat teeth) thus causing them to throw up..not in one spot...but 7 spots as they like to drag that out through the house!

nsweezie
06-01-2001, 05:23 PM
Mostly sleep, though Clyde tends to shred toilet paper and drag it all over the house.

Inez
06-01-2001, 09:46 PM
My kitties love to break my belongings! I came home today to find my favorite vase had been pushed off the dining room table and broken. I couldn't be mad at them though..I love them too much!

4 feline house
06-01-2001, 11:06 PM
Inez-

This mother's day my son presented me with a beautiful hand made vase he made in his art class. This was not a kid's craft project, he is in advanced placement art and the vase will have to be returned to school next year because it has been entered into an interscholastic league competition. It took us a full day to finally decide where to display it, because all the good places would have made it too easy for the cats to knock it over and break it!

alexnell
06-02-2001, 07:11 AM
Spencer--
I recently found their Catbert shrine behind the dryer. Don't tell them I know.

Thank goodness they can't type, they'd probably log on to Petco.com and max out my Visa on catnip products. Of course, I haven't gotten this month's statement yet...

Pam
06-02-2001, 08:03 AM
4 Feline House...I was getting ready for a heartbreaking end to your story. Thankfully the vase is safe! I know what you mean about looking for a safe place to display things. I have two really pretty salt glazed pottery cats which I adore. I had them "out in the open" for only a few days until I realized they were in peril. Now they are behind glass doors. Ironic that my salt glazed kitties have to be protected from my furry kitties. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Trevor broke a depression-ware candy dish when he was a kitten. I learned the hard way. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif Fortunately nothing else has met a "shattering" end. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

aly
06-02-2001, 12:49 PM
I can't keep ANYTHING breakable out in the open. Shiloh has this habit of jumping on desks, tables, counters and gently tapping objects until they crash to the floor. She'll then look around innocently like she had nothing to do with it. Then its on to the next thing. Every night if I leave a glass of water by my computer, it will be on the floor in the morning. I am learning to just put it on the floor if I'm too tired to take it to the kitchen http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif One time she knocked a glass of diet coke on Reece. It was not very funny at the time but I am laughing about it now. I never had too big of a problem until I got Harley because before then I didn't allow Shiloh on the counters. After Harley, I sort of allowed it so she could have places to get away from him.

Logan
06-02-2001, 01:40 PM
My Mimi sleeps most of the time, except when she thinks we aren't looking, and gets a little playful with one of the catnip toys. Whether inside or outside, her normal habits are to hunt a little, sleep a lot.
Butter on the other hand is BUSY!!! It is an age thing....he has much more energy than his older sister. He hunts, climbs trees, harrasses the dogs, and then comes in eats his dinner and SLEEPS.
No matter what they are doing, I love them both dearly.
Logan

Harley
06-03-2001, 08:09 AM
I think Bo spends a lot of his time searching for the catnip hiding places. Three or four times I've come home to find catnip spread all over the house.

AmberLee
06-04-2001, 12:32 PM
Cassy and Olivia mainly sleep and eat when left alone, but I've recently discovered they also entertain a small fan club.

I've occasionally been shocked to open my curtains and find neighbors patiently waiting to admire my cats. Two sets with babies assure me that the only thing that calms their babies is to come down and look at my fur-babies! Cassy typically stands on his back paws and pats the window, Olivia struts her 'cat walk' on the window sill.

At least I'm getting to know the younger set among my neighbors!

Amber and the fur-kids

thelmalu99
06-04-2001, 01:13 PM
Amber, I know what you mean!
When I put Charlie in his harness and leash and carry him outside, all of my neighbors are like, "Hi Charlie!!!". Only after they pet, kiss and shower him with affection do they remember to say hi to me!
Sometimes when Charlie is sunning on his window sill, I can hear my neighbor across the way talking to him and telling him how cute he is. Mr. Popularity. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by thelmalu99 (edited June 04, 2001).]

Edwina's Secretary
06-04-2001, 04:21 PM
I have always suspected that Edwina entertains her friends while we are gone. Sometimes when we return home she seems a bit breathless as if she has just tidied up the place and she has a certain guilty look about her. At times things will be out of place just a tad.

When I leave, particularly if it is a Saturday night, I always admonish her..."No booze, no boys!"

AmberLee
06-04-2001, 07:13 PM
ThelmaLu & Edwina's Secretary -

LOL! Perhaps our fur-babies are 'brothers/sisters under the fur' or something.

Cassy enjoys a stroll on his leash when he's a little hyper (and I enjoy his letting off steam where there are fewer breakables than inside...) Olivia isn't leash trained, and I'm not sure she'd like it -- she's pretty timid. Aren't people funny about cats on leashes? One of our neighbors insists Cassy is a dog because cats won't/don't walk on leashes. Sometimes we have a troop of kids walking with us, but the delays due to crouching under ferns/bushes does discourage them!

How long did it take to leash train your fur-baby? I following a 'one-week' training program that took us almost six months. (We apparently aren't the swiftest learners around no matter how adorable we are. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif )

thelmalu99
06-05-2001, 11:01 AM
Amber,
Charlie got used to the leash pretty quickly, but he doesn't actually walk on it the way a dog does. Maybe he will still learn to, as we have only been using it since the warm weather started. Sometimes he walks in the hall a little, but as soon as we get outside I pick him up to walk down the street, otherwise it would take a lifetime to get around the corner!
I like to take him with me if I have to run around the corner to the 24 hour market late in the evening. That way, he gets really tired from the adventure and I am sure to get a tranquil night's sleep! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

AmberLee
06-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Dear ThelmaLu,

You're right. It's different than a dog on a leash. I basically let Cassy lead the way and follow. It does require watching him. He can sniff a bush for minutes on end then dart across the garden in a twinkling. He is particularly interested in sniffing bushs and around neighbor's potted plants. I'm not sure which are edible so have a 'no nibbling' rule that makes me VERY unpopular!

I've not tried taking him near stores, but have lugged recycling stuff, or garbage, or mail with us on our rounds in the hopes that our wandering will eventually head where I'd like to go. Pretty much let him wander at will although under cars is a no-no and I carry him when there's traffic around or neighbors get close.

A co-worker tells me her vet is amazed that her cat will actually stroll into his office on a leash. (Can scarcely imagine this. I have to lug Cassy in in his carrier, hissing and griping every step of the way... Wouldn't that set our leash training way, way back? LOL)

A.

Catcrazed
06-05-2001, 02:33 PM
My boyfriend's cat is usually sleepiing in the pile of total dissaray he has created.

Catcrazed
06-05-2001, 02:37 PM
I wish I had a security camera to see who keeps pooping on the floor! (Maybe I should feed them different colored dyes)

lisajb
07-05-2001, 04:00 PM
I know what Milo does when I am out he leaves evidence!!!!! He knocks over every garbage can in sight (we take the garbage out every morning before work). He also kicks off anything left on one of his precious tables. He also sleeps on my pillow because there is always white milo hair on it every night.....

Mila's Mommy
07-05-2001, 04:10 PM
I think Milo should meet Mila.

Mila sleeps on everything in site, the bed, laundry, tables, the couch, computer, bathtub.

Since she is a tuxedo cat (black and whie) everything turns out really hairy and impossible to hide!! :mad:

Mila also sets up obstacle courses while we are gone.

She drags all her toys to the front door and hallway and then watches us we walk in the door and stumble and trip.

She always has such an innocent look on her face! :rolleyes:

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Mila's Mommy ]

lisajb
07-06-2001, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mila's Mommy:
<STRONG>I think Milo should meet Mila.

Mila sleeps on everything in site, the bed, laundry, tables, the couch, computer, bathtub.

Since she is a tuxedo cat (black and whie) everything turns out really hairy and impossible to hide!! :mad:

Mila also sets up obstacle courses while we are gone.

She drags all her toys to the front door and hallway and then watches us we walk in the door and stumble and trip.

She always has such an innocent look on her face! :rolleyes:

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Mila's Mommy ]</STRONG>

Just imagine all of the havoc Milo and Mila could cause together....it would be home alome feline version LOL
:D

tuxluvr
07-08-2001, 10:36 AM
:cool: I have a fondness for the tuxedo-marked pussycats - they always seem to have a "personality" all their own...or perhaps it's just a ruse brought about by the classy digs they wear! At any rate, I have many theories about how our cat spends her day...she seems to have a "routine" of sorts. At night, she drags her toys upstairs one by one and deposits them in strategic places around our bedroom and bathroom.

During the day, we have mused that she logs onto the computer and calls up "Abu Dhabi" to chat with all the kittens and friends of Nermal (from Garfield fame) that have been sent there. She greets us when we come home - in fact can hear the garage door going up from a deep sleep, which prompts her to charge in and meow plaintively at the door until the "big cats" come in.

I also suspect that, given half a chance, she would open up the house to all the stray kitties about and have a catnip party...getting it all put away and pretending to just wake up from a nap when her owners get home...hmmmm ;)

goody2shoes
07-16-2001, 12:37 PM
play with toys then sleeps (maybe goes on ebay to by tuna once of twice!)(joking)

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: goody2shoes ]

labonte_lover18
08-13-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Maylo:
<STRONG>What do you think your cat does when you are at work, shopping, school?!</STRONG>

:rolleyes: they throw parties and invite all the cats in the neighborhood too. when you come home, everything is spotless and it doesnt seem like that could ever happen. i think if you ever suspect something fishy, place video cameras in your house and see what really happens...

auggie
08-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Fishing

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/Oy/Rs/2v/rS78211.jpg

Ila
08-13-2001, 11:37 PM
When I get home from work almost every night there is two toys Misty plays with and they usually are moved to a different spot when I get home. She sleeps a lot too. She also likes trying to atttack flies and bugs off my patio door which their outside & she is in so she never gets them but my blinds are moved differently so I know she is doing it. :D

Fuzzy317
08-14-2001, 06:17 AM
I think this is proof what cats do while we are away. :D
http://hometown.aol.com/fuzzy317/homealone.jpg

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Fuzzy317 ]

thelmalu99
08-14-2001, 09:44 AM
LOL, Fuzzy!!!
That's the funniest thing I have ever seen!

ROTFL!!!

catwoman
08-14-2001, 09:45 AM
Me too! ROFL!!!

thelmalu99
08-14-2001, 03:34 PM
...or why I always find fewer beers in the fridge than I thought I had in there! ROTFL! :D

BassetHound08
08-14-2001, 03:35 PM
One day I went shopping with some of my friends. And when I got home my radio was on, my one picture frame was nocked down and broken, and somethings were missing from my bread box. 2 pieces of bread were gone, half of the container I keep my coffee in was gone, and some milano cookies were gone. I thought someone broke into my house. then I though, oh my gosh is shado okay?!?. So I rushed around the house saying her name when I found her she was laying in the bathroom floor with pieces of half eaten bread, and cookies. I rushed her to the vet. Thank God she was alright! The vet said she would be fine, and gave me some pills to give her.
A True story told by,
Cait

sasvermont
08-15-2001, 12:50 PM
My two cats, brother and sister (8 months old) have been spending most of their waking (?)hours, sleeping and playing. On weekends, when I can get away with it, I watch them for an entire day, trying not to bother them, just to see what they usually do. I try not to make a big deal about being there during this observation time. Eventually, they ignore my being there. Most of their activity seems to be play oriented, peppered with a few grooming sessions between naps. They often jump to the highest sports in the house - such as the tops of doors, cabinets, headboards, book shelves and spend time looking down at the other one, teasing her/him. They drag out toys and deposit them in the kitchen, bedroom and halls, where I will find them when I first return or move about. They eat lots of flies, spiders and insects in general. I have a pan of water on the (their) porch and they drink from it often - guess the bugs are salty. Anyway, my cats do lots of things - quietly, all day, but they seem to stay active between cat naps. They are always happy to see me when I return home and they are thrilled to show me the things they have captured and left for me. Sometimes its just the feather duster!!! They do keep me laughing!

Cougie Wechsler
08-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Auggie, that picture is priceless!

NoahsMommy
08-16-2001, 02:09 PM
While we are at work, Noah sleeps....all day! I wonder if he thinks he isn't allowed to play when we aren't there? :rolleyes:

wolflady
08-16-2001, 05:16 PM
Fuzzy, ROFL!! :D :D Looks like your cat and my cat Scooter should get together...
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/BW/Uo/tx/L249197.jpg

4 feline house
08-16-2001, 07:21 PM
Alright, there's alot of people here who are going to get in trouble for contributing to the delinqincy of kitties! :D :D

tuxluvr
08-16-2001, 08:09 PM
The pictures are priceless! My tuxedo kitty recently discovered the wonder of milk rings. She has even taken to coaxing me into play by carrying it into the living room in her teeth, then dropping it at my feet. She then sits there and stares at me until I engage in a game of kitty ring toss. How can you not love a fun little fur-covered soul that is the cat!!! :D

Fuzzy317
08-18-2001, 08:58 AM
The dogs are stealing our topics. :(
What does your dog do while you're out? (http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000187)

ponywoman
08-18-2001, 10:51 PM
Baggy goes outside about 5:30 comes back in about 6:30 then spends all day sleeping in the bedroom on her computer bed. :D I find her there if she doesn't come out and greet us at lunch. she then either goes back in for more sleep or goes out for a bit. Sam spends all day outside sleeping in his cat bed on the porch. These are some lazy cats here! ;)

Logan
08-19-2001, 08:05 AM
Oh, Fuzzy, we should be flattered that the "dog folks" liked our idea! :D

I_love_cats
06-08-2002, 12:26 AM
Sleeps and eat. What else cats are going to do but sleep especially when know one is home.

06-08-2002, 07:24 AM
definitely SLEEP !!!!!!!!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Sleep, eat, and play but mostly sleep.

Kalei
02-04-2007, 06:58 PM
When I'm gone, my cat Bobo sleeps for a little while and then when he has finally had enough sleep, he bothers the heck out of my mom, and he's a meezer so you can imagine how loud and annoying his meows would get to my mother lol. Then when I get home he goes from bugging mom to bugging me.:)

cassiesmom
02-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I think Cassie mostly sleeps. At some point she eats because her food dish is either empty or has less food in it when I get home from work than when I left!

warmbear
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Miss.Contessa likes to look out the windows a great deal (she never goes out unless on her lead with me), she likes the birds outside, and she likes to watch the people go by ... She just loves our new french doors (almost all glass).. She also naps, eats, and uses her litter box. She gets the kittykrazies a few times during daylight hours as well, and tears around the house like her tail was afire..

It is funny, but she does not seem to notice that night means no birds to watch, and will go look out the windows anyway.. (There are no street lights where I live, and so it is pitch dark out at night usually.)

Zoey&Mandy
02-05-2007, 12:33 AM
I think my cat tries to think of ways to open the dresser and get her treats or to plot ways to kill our pet rats .lol. cats

Mycatownsme
03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
After finding my Kitty smokey IN my cupboard with the door shut napping I can only WONDER what goes on while I am gone....Did I mention he had his favorite cat nip toy the was in a drawer when I left with him.............
o_0
I can only wonder

Mazzy0774
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I think my cats sleep all day while we are gone. Because when I come home early, which is very rarely, they come strolling in the living room stretching, yawning and squinting like they've been asleep all day and looking at me like, "What the heck are you doing so home early - we were trying to sleep." haha!

Medusa
03-28-2007, 10:46 PM
My cats Boo and Coco Puff like to scatter Tupperware lids all over the kitchen floor, then hide in the cupboard. (Yeah, I'll never suspect a thing.)

smokey the elder
03-29-2007, 02:11 PM
As little as possible! :D :p

TopCat3
03-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Inez-

This mother's day my son presented me with a beautiful hand made vase he made in his art class. This was not a kid's craft project, he is in advanced placement art and the vase will have to be returned to school next year because it has been entered into an interscholastic league competition. It took us a full day to finally decide where to display it, because all the good places would have made it too easy for the cats to knock it over and break it!

I put small blobs of blu-tack (don't know if it's called the same in America) re-usable adhesive under all my precious ornaments so they can't be accidentally knocked down by a sauntering kitty during the day. It's also a good excuse not to get everything down when dusting, I just flick round everything with a little feather-type duster. :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
04-02-2007, 10:27 AM
:) My girls are playing with their toys & or watching outside birds from the window seats..

Babyboonie
04-16-2007, 03:43 AM
I dread to think!!! Although I have sneaky suspicion that all they do is sleep all day long......until I find cat hair by the toothpaste tube, or on the lid of the hamster cage!! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
04-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I think Brody spends her time planning ways to torment the dogs :D

csanchezveloso
04-17-2007, 01:04 PM
My babies sleep, that is when they're not staring out the windows or when Bieli isn't running away or playing with her big brother, Antenita.

All I know is they second I get home, they are already at the door waiting for their food!