PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever misdirected an e-mail?

Pam
05-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I am starting a little poll because I have done this now twice. They were not 'life and death' e-mails but a couple of surprises unfortunately got "out of the bag" as a result of my carelessness. A couple of years ago I received an e-mail from a relative of mine which she had sent to her 'boyfriend.' Unfortunately she was married at the time and so her affair was inadvertently divulged. :( Anyway, I am hoping that I am not the only one who has done this. Anyone out there? Anyone at all?

Cookiebaker
05-16-2004, 12:31 PM
I *hate* when that happens! :eek:

I don't think I have ever misdirected an email, but several times I have been on the receiving end. :( A couple of times, somebody was bad-mouthing me to another person, and that is how I found out about it. There's nothing more hurtful then to receive that type of email. :( It's so much easier to just be told outright that that is how they feel about you. It's been 3 years, and yet it still hurts to think about it.

primabella
05-16-2004, 02:10 PM
That's terrible Anna. :( I'm sorry about that.

I have sent my e-mails to the wrong adress (if I am understanding "misdirected" correctly :o ) a few times but they were never serious. I once got an e-mail from a man though and he kept mentionning our "rendez-vouz at the amusement park". I was a little bit freaked, lol.

Fallon
05-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Hmm I haven't ever misdirected an email nor recieved one. I'm sure that would be pretty surprsing.. I guess I'm lucky for now but I can't say it wont ever happen.

Cincy'sMom
05-16-2004, 03:12 PM
I've done it!!! I sent an email to my mom meant for my boyfriend at the time. I don't thinkit said anything too much, but she stillhad to tease me about it!

Kfamr
05-16-2004, 03:14 PM
I haven't. I rarely send e-mail though. :p

Rachel
05-16-2004, 03:31 PM
When I first started using email, I didn't realize that replying to an email included the original email that was sent, and I also had the notion that changing the line in the subject matter, somehow made it a different page. I know that I replied to one family member's email and added another family member's name to the send list and there was something in the first email that they had written to me that they would not have wanted the other person to know they were said. By the time I realized exactly how email functioned, it was too late to *unsend* which I could have since the recipient and I were both on AOL. Neither party ever brought it to my attention, so maybe there was a chance that the recipient did not scroll down to see original email.

So the answer is yes, been there, done that.

Miss Meow
05-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I've never misdirected, but kept receiving e-mails from a girl to my old Hotmail account about her boyfriend problems. I had no idea who she was, but started writing back with strange advice. She must've eventually twigged that I wasn't her friend but someone else with a similar name ;)

QueenScoopalot
05-16-2004, 04:29 PM
I sent a moderately "off color" joke to a veterinarians forum I'm subscribed to!:rolleyes: Lucky for me though...it wasn't a raunchy one!

Logan
05-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Pam, if it makes you feel any better, once Scott sent an email, meant for me, to his "ex", the "other" Mrs. Bagley!!!! :eek: It included "I Love You", hehehe!!!!! :D

I think you need to give yourself a break. It could happen to anyone, and since I know what happened both times it happened to you, I can speak with authority!!!! :D It wasn't as if you said anything bad, it was all good, in fact, and if the unintended recipient happened to open it, she will know how good you felt about everything!!!! :D Quit worrying!!!!!!

Logan

Logan
05-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I just remembered something and realized I voted incorrectly.

Several years ago, I had changed internet service and hadn't yet transferred all my email addresses over to the new service. But I was sure that I "remembered" my aunt and uncle's address. He loves jokes, even "off color" ones, so I was sending them to him, constantly. Well, he is a miniter and his email address started with "Rev", followed by his initials. The only problem was that I didn't include all three initials, just his first and last. One day, I got an email from another "Rev", and she said that she had gotten so many emails from me that she felt she had to respond and tell me that she didn't know me, and obviously I was doing something wrong! Talk about embarassed!!! :o :o :o

I am determined to never "guess" again!!!!! :o

Randi
05-17-2004, 10:45 AM
I think I've done it once, to someone with the same name, but luckily it wasn't anything important. :)

However, I've recieved a msg. on IM meant for someone else, that was rather embarressing - for the person who sent it. :eek:

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-17-2004, 12:18 PM
I have (thankfully) not sent an email to the wrong person, but a funny thing happened to me last year:

We were in the porcess of buying some limited edition fountain pens (they are a great investment). The broker sent us the banking details for us to transfer our payment, but instead of attaching OUR invoice, he attached HIS COST PRICES!! Of course then mwe went back to him and asked for more discount;) He was VERY upset!!!

DJFyrewolf36
05-17-2004, 12:47 PM
I've sent IMs to the wrong person before...

I one time had 35 seperate IM windows open on AIM and it was really HARD to keep track of them all! Soon it seemed as if I was having the exact same conversation with 35 people...argh. I was popular online once...hehe. The dail up was reeeallly trying hard to keep up!

I got an email from some gal that thought I went to Highschool with her...although she was in her 40's and I wasn't even past my freshman year at the time...she sent some WIERD stuff!

popcornbird
05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
I've never misdirected an email, but my dad has told me some VERY funny stories of his boss at work sending very important emails to the wrong people, and then hanging his head in shame when he found out! LOL!!!

I have, however, received a PM from someone here at PT before, that was meant for someone else. I couldn't stop laughing. :p My friends have IM'd me something that was meant for someone else several times, but it was nothing that would cause any problem.

2kitties
05-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I once accidentally sent an email to my boyfriend's mother that was meant for a friend of mine. It was all about how cute this guy on tv is, etc. Was pretty humilating.

RICHARD
05-17-2004, 03:25 PM
I replied to an E-mail joke/note.

It was from a person who sent it to their family members and they then sent it to their friends...It had to do with a person they were related to doing something stupid.

I sent a note back to the person who sent it to me telling him the person deserved the end result.

I replied to "All" by mistake and a few days later I got a nasty E mail from one of the orignators telling me that the joke was only meant for their family and no one else...

It was one of the "how dare you!-Never reply to this address again" messages..

I apologized and then I then blasted her by telling her that it's pretty stupid to think that
sending out a message via e-mail didn't guarantee
privacy and she should take it up with her stupid family for forwarding it around.

I had fun with it.

;)

All Creatures Great And Small
05-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Yep, I've misdirected e-mails AND IM's - luckily nothing too embarrassing. My sister's husband tried setting up a separate mail box for her in their Internet account, so I sent her a long-winded e-mail all about what I'd been up to lately, blah blah blah. It went through OK, but the next day it came back to me as a reply, with the cryptic message "this is not meant for me - I am an old Scottish banker". I thought she was being a wiseguy or something (she lives in England), so I e-mailed her again, and once again I got a reply about the recipient being an old Scottish banker. Turns out her husband had told her the wrong e-mail address, and my e-mails really WERE going to an old banker in Scotland! :o Hope he enjoyed every detail of my boring life........:p :D

Pam
05-17-2004, 05:24 PM
LOL! These stories are all so funny! I don't feel quite so bad now, although I see that according to the poll most of you haven't. :) I vowed I would be more careful after I did it the first time but, alas, I did it yet a second time. :rolleyes: I guess I am a slow learner. :p

Christiansmommy
05-17-2004, 10:12 PM
My husband had it done to him, several times, by the same person. They sent a TON of baby pics of their cute son...and we kept emailing them, saying that they had the wrong address, (but that their son was a cutie, none the less ;))....and they didnt catch on until like the 3rd or 4th email...duh!

Robyn

Vio&Juni
05-18-2004, 06:17 AM
I've never misdirrected e-mails, nor IMs :) luckily. I received at least four that were sent by mistake to me, or I have the same name as the one they thought. I am sure it was not spam, there is no spam (of which I know of) in Romanian. I sent answers back with explanations and even got a thank you letter from one of the girls :)

My friend - a police detective had two boyfriends at once. They were prosecutors and shared the same office. She sent an sms to one of them with the name of the other :D That was a funny case. I was making fun of all three of them. Yeah, detectives! :)

gini
05-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Pam, this is funny to me because I have done the very same thing.

Even funnier because I have two friends........both with the name PAM! Both of their email addresses start with Pam@............

One of the Pam's is a business associate and I sent a long email explaining why we had to charge a client a different sales tax rate than our other clients.

OOOPPPSS, it went to the "other" Pam. She called me and said she didn't have a clue what I was talking about or why she needed to have this information. Thank goodness she let me know that the email had been misdirected.

It was a wake up call to me over how easy it is to not pay attention and direct mail to the wrong person.

Don't be too hard on yourself........it can happen to anyone.

Cataholic
05-18-2004, 11:19 AM
I haven't ever sent the wrong email to someone, BUT, I did have one of the partners send me an email, saying, "Johanna, I don't think you meant for me to get this, did you"? I immediately freaked out, scrolled down and read the contents. As it turns out, he had mistakenly thought my girlfriend and I were talking about adopting a hooman, instead of a pet...the point of the email was to let everyone know of a potential pet adoption! Kind of funny. He said, "I didn't read it and have deleted it immediately". I was like, "WHAT? Read it! Do you know anyone that wants to adopt a DOG?" He he he he...

AmberLee
05-18-2004, 01:04 PM
I have, rarely. Nothing important or funny resulted that I recall...

More often, at work I get notices to attend a meeting in Maryland IMMEDIATELY. (~3,000 miles away.) When I'm in a smart-aleck mood I respond that I'll be there, but want to confirm that THEIR program is paying the travel charges and all expenses. This usually provokes panic on the part of the sender. (A coworker with a similar name works in Maryland. He has a great sense of humor and we've admired one another's names...)

QueenScoopalot
05-26-2004, 01:18 PM
A lesson to be learned from typing the wrong e-mail address!!!
A couple from Minneapolis decided to go to Florida to thaw out during one particularly icy winter. They planned to stay at the very same hotel where they spent their honeymoon 20 years earlier. Because of hectic schedules, it was difficult to coordinate their travel schedules, so the husband left Minnesota and flew to Florida on Thursday, with his wife flying down the following day.

The husband checked into the hotel. There was a computer in his room, so he decided to send an e-mail to his wife. However, he accidentally left out one letter in her email address, and without realizing his error, he sent the e-mail.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Houston, a widow had just returned home from her husband's funeral. He was a minister of many years who was called home to glory following a sudden heart attack. The widow decided to check her e-mail, expecting messages of condolence from relatives and friends. After reading the first message, she fainted. The widow's son rushed into the room, found his mother on the floor, and saw the computer screen which read:

To: My Loving Wife
Subject: I've Arrived
Date: 16 January 2004
I know you're surprised to hear from me. They have computers here now and you are allowed to send e-mails to your loved ones. I've just arrived and have been checked in. I see that everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you then! Hope your journey is as uneventful as mine was.
P.S. Sure is hot down here!