PDA

View Full Version : hey i need some advice here i mean please

victoria
05-15-2004, 08:50 PM
i have no idea what to do about my hamsters cage stinking i clean it out but it still smells like pee REALLY BAD so can you please give me an idea of what to do i really really love him oh and he wants to type you something hjhjftdrsedsdsdsxdzdfdssfdssfzszszszszszxszx (you might not understand it he ran across the key board funny huh laugh peep wants you to):) ps peep wrote please help me everyone and anyone

Fallon
05-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah, hamsters can smell really bad.. How often do you clean it? I clean mine about once a week.. but maybe you should clean yours twice a week.. and make sure you use soap and rinse it out really well. What kind of bedding do you use?

Karen
05-15-2004, 09:06 PM
What kind of bedding do you use? Just curious. The next time you have him out to clean the cage, empty everything out, and pur some white vinegar in and let it sit for a minute, then rinse it out with water, then you can use soap and more water. The vinegar is mildly acidic and so can help remove some built-up residue.

Then plan on cleaning it twice a week, and see how it goes!

P.S. I moved this into Pet General - Dog General is for dog stuff!

Cookiebaker
05-15-2004, 09:09 PM
hi Victoria, when we had hamsters a few years ago, I put sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of the cage (under the bedding) and that would cut down on the odor quite considerably. Also, I scooped out the "potty" area more often -- like every other day, and cleaned the cage once a week.

Hope this helps, and your hamster isn't quite so stinky anymore. :)

Twisterdog
05-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I got a litter box for my hamsters, filled with hamster litter. The whole set up was less than $5 at the pet store. It even has a cute little scooper. :p

I change the litter every day, and they never go to the bathroom anywhere else in the cage. They never smell bad now. Rodents are very clean animals by nature, and will keep their home clean if given the chance.

CathyBogart
05-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Put a few drops of vanilla extract in his drinking water. :)

Twisterdog
05-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Put a few drops of vanilla extract in his drinking water. :)

No kidding. I've never heard that. It makes the urine smell better? And it doesn't harm them?

I'll be trying that, too!