PDA

View Full Version : *very* worried about Marigold...

Cookiebaker
05-15-2004, 08:23 PM
About 3 weeks ago, Marigold went to the vet for normal shots etc., and at the same time, I had them check her ears. Specifically, her right ear has been getting very dirty and I have had to clean it pretty often (about once every 2-3 weeks) to get the gunk out. Her left ear was totally clear though. She has always had what I would call "bad" ears since we got her. When we adopted her she had a very bad case of ear mites, and ever since they are very itchy and she shakes her head quite a bit. I always keep an eye on them tho', and unless they get very bad, I don't worry too much.

Anyway, I noticed last evening that she was starting to itch a bit, and made a mental note to check them and clean them out. Well tonight, we were watching a movie and she came in the living room. I could smell her from across the room. It is like a putrid, dead flesh kind of smell. :eek: I immediately went to check and her left ear (which doesn't bother her as much usually) is HORRIBLE. It was totally crusted and STINK?? Oh man! It's BAD. :(

I cleaned it out very well, and put the medication that we were given 3 weeks ago in that ear, even tho it was for the right ear. I can't decide whether to call the emergency vet tomorrow or wait 'til Monday.

She got really upset with the cleaning, though usually she tolerates it fairly well. She peed all down both Mark & I :eek: and now she *REALLY* stinks.

My poor baby! So please say some prayers for her that it isn't anything too serious. I am so worried about her!! :( :( :(

Uabassoon
05-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Poor Marigold! I wish I had some kind of advice to offer, but all I can do is hope that it isn't anything too serious and that her ear heals up quickly.

Denyce
05-15-2004, 08:51 PM
I know this sounds unrelated but how are her teeth? Sometimes if they teeth and gums are infected it affects the sinus cavities and also the ears. I would re-evaluate in the morning...if the meds you gave to her and the cleaning have made her more comfortable you could wait till Monday...if not then take her in.

Denyce

kimlovescats
05-15-2004, 08:52 PM
I think it can wait until Monday .... would hate for you to have to pay ER prices for an ear infection.... since you already cleaned it out well. If it is clean, I would just try to keep applying the medication until Monday. Please let us know what the vet says, and good luck to you, and huggies for Marigold!

Fallon
05-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Aww poor puppy. I hope you get better soon. I'm sure you'll be fine.. A trip to the vet would be good.. keep me updated.

Karen
05-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Poor Marigold kitty. Hope she's okay, yup - ear infections are STINKY! Bet she felt better - even if she was mad - after you cleaned it all out.

trayi52
05-15-2004, 11:01 PM
How old is Marigold? I didn't even know you had a kitty. I agree with Kim, just wait until Monday, unless of course you feel that a trip to the er is needed.

I hope she gets to feeling better. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Willie

shais_mom
05-16-2004, 12:17 AM
poor Marigold Kitty!!

I hope she feels better!

krazyaboutkatz
05-16-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Marigold's ear problem.:( I hope it's nothing serious.
I'd also wait until Monday unless her ear gets a lot worse before then. Please keep us updated and take care.

cloverfdx
05-16-2004, 03:43 AM
How is Marigold doing? I hope she is feeling better soon.

Cookiebaker
05-16-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the well wishes. This morning, her ears don't seem AS itchy nor AS smelly. When Mark wakes ups (and before we take showers :p) we are going to do the clean/medicate treatment again.

And since it's looking better, I'm going to call the vet tomorrow morning, and hope that they can fit us in.

Here's a few pictures that I took a couple of weeks ago, but never posted:

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/goear3.JPG
(*sorry that this one was a tad blurry :o *)

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/goear1.JPG
(The lighting makes her eyes look funny )

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/goear4.JPG

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/goear2.JPG
My beautiful girl....

Thanks again for the well wishes!!

Kirsten
05-16-2004, 08:50 AM
I sure hope it's nothing serious with beautiful Marigold! Her photos are gorgeous! :)

Good luck for the vet visit tomorrow!

Kirsten

CatMama78
05-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Poor Marigold.She is gorgeous. I'm glad to hear she's doing a litle bit better. I'll say many prayers that she's all healed soon....

catmandu
05-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Poor Marigold ,and All The Found ats , hpe taht you heal , and are well enough , to come to TheParteee! A new itwem , has been added , to the Menu! Peameal BACON!Please Come , Marigold!

catcrazylady
05-16-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm so glad to hear that things are better. Marigold has always been a PT favorite of mine. She is such a beauty. Please keep us posted on the trip to the white coats. Good luck pretty Marigold!

rg_girlca
05-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Marigold is such a pretty girl. I'm glad to hear her ear is doing better.

Vio&Juni
05-16-2004, 12:23 PM
I hope pretty Marigold gets better and better.

kimlovescats
05-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Marigold certainly is beautiful ... we really need to see her more often!!! So glad that her ear is improving! :)

Barbara
05-16-2004, 03:29 PM
I am sorry about beautiful Marigold. I hope the doc can find what's wrong with her so that it can be completely ok.

Paws crossed here:)

krazyaboutkatz
05-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Marigold sure is gorgeous.:D
I'm glad to hear that her ear is doing a little bit better. Hopefully her visit to the whitecoats will go well and that it turns out to be nothing serious. I've heard that some cats with ear problems need a deep cleaning of the ears and they have to be sedated for this. Hopefully she won't need this procedure. Good luck and please keep us updated.

ChrisH
05-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Glad to hear Marigold seems a bit better. Hope the vets visit goes well.

Lovely pictures of your beautiful girl! :)

Chris

slick
05-16-2004, 06:31 PM
So sorry to hear about little Marigold's ears. Prayers on the way for a speedy recovery.

Cookiebaker
05-17-2004, 06:28 PM
We have an appointment for Marigold Wednesday afternoon. :( I'm not too happy that we have to wait that long, but the vet didn't think it was that bad that it needed to get bumped up. :rolleyes: :mad: I'm half debating calling someone else, but on the other hand, I don't know/trust anyone else either. :confused: I'm going to clean/medicate again tonight.

leslie flenner
05-17-2004, 10:18 PM
And you will have to be dilegent with the ear medicine and you will get the fight of your life! Hopefully it's not, but it does smell to me like a yeast infection! (pee-ew). Let us know what happens! Too bad you have to wait- I would think a vet might prescribe some kind of soothing something to get your kitty through till wednesday! Again, Good luck and I am curious to know how this turns out as a friend of mine has a cat with a stinky ear!

catlover4ever
05-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Cookiebaker, I just went through this with my Tucker. I noticed that she was itching her ear and shaking her head, which made me think ear mites. When I looked in her ear part of it was crusted over and the other part of her ear had green puss ooozing from the inside of the ear canal. I cleaned her ear out the best I could and had to wait over a weekend for the vet on Monday. It was in fact an ear mite infection in just that one ear so Tucker had to go home with ear drops.....the infection cleared up within 3 days.

I'm sending positive thoughts for you and Marigold. She sure is a beautiful girl. Did I see Marigold has double paws???? or was that maybe the way she was sitting. Hugs and kisses to Miss Marigold xoxoxoxox Hope you feel better soon.:)

Vio&Juni
05-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
Did I see Marigold has double paws????

Yes, she is polydactyl. I love her cute pawsies. More to kiss, don't you think?

Cataholic
05-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Here's hoping Wednesday gets here very fast! Poor little Marigold.