PDA

View Full Version : fox red and silver labrador retrievers

guster girl
05-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Finn is darker than your typical yellow labrador, he's more of a fox red color. A lady at a dog park told me that Finn wasn't purebred, because she'd "never seen one that color." Whatever. Anyway, so, I searched online and found some really RED labs! And, silver ones, too! I've seen them before, but, thought I'd post a couple of pictures....Here's the silver....

http://www.redrockranch.net/silverhomepage001003.jpg

and, a couple fox red....

http://www.pacificlabradors.com/images/270_P1010016_0001_2_.JPG

guster girl
05-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Ok, I'm bored...here are white ones, too.....

http://www.1-labrador-retriever-puppies.com/images/2001/snowwhite_pups.jpg

Of course, yellow, chocolate, and black are the only recognized colors. But, the other variations are still pretty....

Amber
05-14-2004, 10:35 PM
wow! I like those red ones!

trayi52
05-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I really love the red ones as well, they are all beautiful. But I have to say the red ones are my favorite. Darn, I look at the white ones and think, oh look at all those cute little babies nursing. I would like one of each!

Willie:)

Moose
05-14-2004, 11:04 PM
There are also "long-haired" Labs. I was at the vet's office with Zoey the other day and I was sitting next to a guy with a long-haired chocolate Lab. It was sooo gorgeous...I was drooling over him the whole time.

shais_mom
05-14-2004, 11:22 PM
wow! I love the silver ones they look like Weimereiners. The fox red ones look like Short Haired red Goldens.
Very pretty!

Moose
05-14-2004, 11:32 PM
This really is an awful picture, but it's all I've got for right now. I just think they are gorgeous...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da04b3127ccebd286239bf430000002610

Fallon
05-14-2004, 11:33 PM
I think all labs, no matter what color they are, are very pretty. Finn has a nice color and is adorable. The white ones are really nice too.

Cookiebaker
05-15-2004, 06:49 AM
A lady at a dog park told me that Finn wasn't purebred, because she'd "never seen one that color." Whatever.

This had me laughing, only because several times people have commented on Malone and insisted that he IS a purebred, when in FACT he has golden retr. in him. It just goes to show what people *think* they know. So ditto to what you said -- "Whatever" :rolleyes:

Those pictures are adorable of the silver and fox red! I love the colors. :)

prechrswife
05-15-2004, 07:02 PM
My dog who still lives with my parents in Louisiana is a lab/chow mix. She is red, and is a beautiful dog. I'm not sure if her red is from the lab side of her heritage or the chow side.

(BTW, she and my sister's dog still live with my parents because by the time my sister and I had the space to keep our dogs with us, the two of them were so bonded to each other that none of us could bear to separate them. They are both getting up in years now.)

*LabLoverKEB*
05-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Wow! Those are beautiful dogs!

But, they are not pure Labs, I don't think? The different colors is caused by inbreeding.

molucass
05-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Moose
There are also "long-haired" Labs. I was at the vet's office with Zoey the other day and I was sitting next to a guy with a long-haired chocolate Lab. It was sooo gorgeous...I was drooling over him the whole time.

Those aren't labs, they are chesapeake bay retrievers. :p

shais_mom
05-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Moose
This really is an awful picture, but it's all I've got for right now. I just think they are gorgeous...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da04b3127ccebd286239bf430000002610

So is this a Chessie?

Moose
05-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by molucass
Those aren't labs, they are chesapeake bay retrievers. :p

No...they aren't. It is a long-haired Lab. Plus, a Chessie's fur is longer...but not nearly the same. They have more of a waved, denser coat....the dog in the picture [and the dog I saw at the vet's] has a longer, smoother coat.

anna_66
05-16-2004, 06:50 AM
They are all so cute (no matter what they are:p ).

I remember when I was taking Roxey to obedience school a lady who showed Siberians came over and said "Kinda small isn't she, she can't be purebred" then turned around and walked away:rolleyes: People can be such jerks!

tatsxxx11
05-16-2004, 08:40 AM
The AKC does include dark yellow and "fox red" coloring as being within the breed standard. But "sivler" Labs definitely are not and if fact, the AKC warns those purchasing "sliver" Labs that they are not purebred, but crossed somewhere down the line with another breed to obtain that unique coloring, most likely a Weimeraner.

guster girl
05-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I was just going by what I saw online, looking for the photos. That they were considering red to be a darker yellow, white to be the lightest yellow, and, silver to be a diluted chocolate....but, it said on the site that the colors weren't recognized...that there was only yellow, chocolate and black. I don't personally care either way, they're all pretty.

EssTer
05-16-2004, 11:35 AM
those red labs are soo cute :)

CatMama78
05-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Very unique. No matter what actual breed, they are just lovely.

veegan
05-16-2004, 01:58 PM
wow Ive never seen those colours! very pretty. :) Ive seen long haired corgis, rotties and weims but I didnt know there were long haired labs too. Im sure there are tons of variations on all different breeds, its very interesting. :) thanks for posting those pics!