PDA

View Full Version : Is my cat gay?

Efrat
10-27-2001, 04:30 PM
I'm confused...
My cat Tsoomi (1 1/2 years old) was neutered at 5 months old. Now we have new kittens in the house and he's trying to rape one of them!
How can it be? first of all they are both male, and second of all Tsoomi's neutered... Anyone??

Karen
10-27-2001, 05:10 PM
Could it be that he's trying to establish dominance? Someone with more male cat behavior experience will have to help here ...

4 feline house
10-27-2001, 07:32 PM
How old is the kitten? Spayed/nuetered cats retain the ability to manufacture a certain amount of sex hormones, so they still may get an occasional "urge", they just "shoot blanks". I have personally never seen this in a spay, but it may happen that they also have some sexual tendencies remaining. Also, if the kitten is of the age that he is possibly transitioning into adulthood, Tsoomi may pick up on the female hormones that would be surging. All mammals make male and female hormones, and they both surge at puberty, and Tsoomi may be able to sense it.

That all being said, homosexuality does occur in the animal world. We had a dog we were sure was gay. My dad refused to let him be neutered (like a dog is really aware of his b#$!s) and we never once saw him mount a female dog - he only went for the males! Got really embarrasing! :o

Efrat
10-28-2001, 03:43 AM
My kittens are 2 and 3 months old, so both are too young I think...

I have no idea why he thinks they are "attractive" they are just babies... well, maybe he's trying to show them who's the boss... I just hope it won't make them hate him as they grow up.