PDA

View Full Version : Scratching Furnature

NoahsMommy
10-25-2001, 05:32 PM
So, Noah has the bad habit of scratching our couch and my leather chair at my desk...how do we make him stop? Yelling "NO!" doesn't work... :(

4 feline house
10-25-2001, 08:47 PM
But make sure you first test a hidden spot! Lemon juice is a natural bleach.

Former User
10-26-2001, 03:49 AM
thx for the advices, we can use them too since Casper and Kitty sometimes attack our couch...although they do have their own scratching pole, but of course what's forbidden, it's more fun :rolleyes:

purrley
10-26-2001, 07:04 AM
Have you tried checking some of the pet stores for a pet repellent - I've heard those products work well. You spray it on a piece of rag or something and attach it to the area where they are scratching. I've had success in the past by using this.

purrley
10-26-2001, 02:45 PM
Farruska - the pet repellent comes in an aerosol can - no bottle - I can imagine that would be really awful to have a bottle of that stuff break. :(

NoahsMommy
10-26-2001, 03:00 PM
Great ideas!! But do you think he will totally stay away from the couch with pet repellant? He lays there during the day and when we are sitting on it.

What do you think?

gini
10-27-2001, 11:55 PM
Rascal likes to scratch the couch and a chair. To try to stop it quickly, I bought those "cardboard" couches that you sprinkle catnip on. At first, he didn't know what to do with it. But I took his paws and scratched for him (which he didn't like) but he got the idea. As soon as he started scratching it on his own, I praised him. Everytime he uses it, I praise him.

Of course, I have little pieces of cardboard around the area, but it beats having him using the sofa or chair. He also sleeps on the sofa for long periods of time. Every once in a while he has a lapse, but if I can catch him, I will yell NO very loudly and he will stop. Then I take him back to the cardboard couches (if I can catch him).

purrley
10-29-2001, 09:37 AM
Noah's Mommy - I really think your cat will stay away from the area that's he's scratching not the whole area - but just spray some repellent on a cloth and attach it to the problem area and see what happens. I'm going to have to do the same thing - my Panda is scratching on my new matress and box springs which aren't even paid for yet. This makes me really, really angry :mad: :mad:

tuxluvr
10-29-2001, 10:59 AM
Not too preachy for me, Spencer - after I found out what declawing really does, I wanted to go and hug my kitty and vow never to do it. Ritzy by and large scratches one of the several "kitty lairs" we have for her just for that purpose. We trained her with positive reinforcement by picking her up when she tried to scratch elsewhere and place her on the proper post.

Does she digress at times? Yes, but it's minimal - we also used a little water squirt during her formative years that helped as well. Every day I'm learning more and more that when you invite a cat into your world, you live in their world as much (and sometimes more) than they live in yours :) And such is why I love them!

purrley
10-29-2001, 12:48 PM
I can't nip the cat scratching totally in the bud - but, I do keep the claws trimmed as short as I can without causing pain. They're all quite cooperative except for Braydee - the wild kitten - but he's coming around - a few more clips and he'll get used to it and know that it won't hurt. I would try everything in the world before I'd ever declaw one of my cats - it just aint gonna happen!!!!

wolflady
10-29-2001, 01:11 PM
Cats don't like the feel of tape on their paws, and even though it doesn't look the greatest, get a bunch of painter's tape and make 'tape loops' so the sticky side is facing outward and put it in locations where your cat likes to scratch. We did this on our counter tops and it worked like a charm.

purrley
10-29-2001, 01:28 PM
Brilliant Wolflady - I've heard that's how people keep their cats off their counter tops. By using the tape that you mentioned or fly paper works well also :)

sasvermont
10-29-2001, 05:58 PM
Dear Noah's Mommie:

Here's what I do.
1.) each morning, we all three, the two cats and I, go to the nearest sisel scratching post and start scratching... I too, scratch on it. Really. They love it. I have four posts throughout in the main areas of my house (not my bedroom) and they usually use it to get my attention. It seems to be working. I scratch on the posts quite often. I think the cats like to compete with me. 2.) I keep their nails trimmed, weekly. 3.) I reward them with lots of praise when they use the posts - and that is often 4.) I yell at the top of my lungs when I catch them scratching something important - but I let them have at a couple of household items, such as my ironing board cover (go figure) and one old chair on the porch. 5.) For awhile I had to put double sided tape on one chair in the living room (you can get the tape at a hardware store... it is used to hold down carpeting)... Good luck Noah's mommie! By the way, I just love all of Noah's pictures. He sounds like quite the kitty!

NoahsMommy
10-30-2001, 01:00 PM
Thank you so much for all of your advice! For Christmas, Noah is getting a sisal sratching tower/post. He has one that "grandpa" made him when we got him and will occasionally scratch it, but the couch is more appealing to him...

I will try the pet repellant, squirt bottle and even sratching with him (how cute!). Thank you!!!

Former User
10-30-2001, 01:02 PM
Hey, when you catch Noah scratching the couch, take him and put him next to the scratching pole and then take his paws and show him how to scratch the pole.
We did this with Kitty and Casper and it has helped too. Feels hilarious to show them what to do, but hey, it helps! :D

NoahsMommy
10-30-2001, 03:23 PM
I tried that. When I do it, he resists and runs away as soon as I let go... :(