PDA

View Full Version : Do cats eat less in the summer?

bluekat
05-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Lately, I've noticed that Blueberry hasn't really been eating much. Are cats supposed to eat less in the summer? I fill his bowl with the same amount of food eat day, and he's only eating half of what he normally eats I think.
Are your cats like that too in the summer?

carole
05-13-2004, 04:31 PM
I would not worry too much, my two eat less in summer, thinking about it, so do I , I am always much hungrier when the weather is cold, so I guess kitties are much the same, just keep an eye on it, and if kitty seems well enough and happy, I would not worry ok.:)

catnapper
05-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Same here. Usually the food is long gone by the time I get up in the mornings (my husband feeds them at 6:00, I get up around 7:30) but tonight, there's still half the food left in the bowls.

But if you think about it, humans eat less too. Last night I hardly touched my dinner because I was so uncomfortable and had no appetite due to the hot weahter.

CatMama78
05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Also because, species have tendency to want to bulk up in the winter to stay warm, so they eat more. I assume opposite for summer and look how floofy Blueberry is, he's probably extra prone to being hot in the summer, so it make sense for him to eat less....

Fallon
05-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah I agree. Most everything eat less in the summer. It's just too uncomfortable and food doesn't seem very appealing. Just make sure you leave the food out for them and they'll eat when they want.

Felicia's Mom
05-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Mine always eat less in summer too.

catmandu
05-14-2004, 09:16 AM
The Found Cats dont eat as much , in the haet , they sleep more! But is Fresh , and Cold!

catmandu
05-14-2004, 09:17 AM
What I meant , to say , is that they drink a lot more water , and it needs to be Fresh , and Cold!

bluekat
05-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh ok now I understand...thanks for the replies everyone!:)

Lillycat
06-09-2004, 08:58 AM
hope thats true, two of my boys could lose a little bit!

stacwase
06-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Of course, if your cats ever go outside, they could be supplementing their diet.

Logan
06-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Mimi definitely eats less in the summer and I have experienced this for almost 15 summers now! She loses about a pound, each summer, and then gains it back in the winter.

I can tell no difference in Butter's eating habits! He eats ALL the time!!!! :D Guess that's because he went without food for quite a long time when he was a stray.

Logan

Randy_K
06-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Another thing to consider is that the loss of appetite may be due to hairballs. My cats are bailing hair off of them right now and one refuses Petromalt entirely so we have to brush her all the time.