PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Does anyone know this plant?

Kirsten
05-13-2004, 04:10 AM
Does anyone know anything about this plant? What's its name? And is it toxic? The leaves are very small btw.

It's in my kitchen where the cats usually are not supposed to be when I'm not around, but Lily (of course Lily!!) has sneaked in there and I found her playing with that plant, and it could be that she also ate it. I feel so guilty! :(

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/plant1.jpg

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/plant2.jpg

Kirsten

Kirsten
05-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Well, I just spoke to my vet on the phone and emailed her the photos (she loves gardening and plants, so I figured she knows that plant). With her help, I found out the name of that plant is ceropegia woodii, aka string of hearts. She said, as far as she knows, this plant isn't toxic, at least it's not one of the "real bad ones" like ivy or lilies.

I once had a very informative website with a toxic plant databasa bookmarked, but I lost it when I had the computer crash.

However, I think Lily is on the safe side, but this girl always keeps me busy!!! :rolleyes:

Kirsten

Barbara
05-13-2004, 05:03 AM
If you enter "toxic plants pets" in Google you find different lists. Non of them has the cerodingsbums on it (I only checked shortly ;)) so I hope everything is ok with Lily.

On the other hand the plant looks ideal for being ruined by cats:)

lynnestankard
05-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Just thinking the same thing Barbara - A Cat Swing:D

Pretty plant though Kirsten - how come we can't train these furkids not to attack plants? ;)

Lynne

catlover4ever
05-13-2004, 07:23 AM
I had one of those plants....Smokey ate most of it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Good luck trying to keep your's alive....especially seeing you have that NAW-TEE little girl Lily!!;) ;)

Laura's Babies
05-13-2004, 07:39 AM
I gave up on having house plants a long, long time ago. I found cats just will not leave them alone and I would rather have cats than plants.

sirrahbed
05-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi Kirsten. I recognize that plant and have called it a "rosary vine" so looked it up and it has the same class name of ceropegia woodii . It is non-toxic. There are little rosary beads right where the leaves form - if you push them down into soil, you will get new plants;) I also see some beads on the bare pieces of the rosary. That might be a way to pick up the longer loops and keep them from being so tempting!!

Craftlady
05-13-2004, 08:15 AM
The only live plant I have in house is in vase full of water. It's the plant that normally has a fish in the container and it eats the plant roots. Can't remember the name of the fish. Well fish never did well in container, so I just kept the plant. I kept the plant on the kitchen table kids have never bothered messing with the plant. It now rests on wire shelf close to window for sunlight. They still don't bother it. :) All my other plants are silk ones throughout the house.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Kirsten, I think this might be the site you lost when your computer crashed? http://amby.com/cat_site/plants.html

I know I got the link here on PT, so hopefully it's the one you used to have too.

Glad to hear naw-tee Lily will be ok. :)

Kirsten
05-14-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm glad to see some of you also know this plant, and that it's none-toxic! However, I did not find it on any of the lists...

I tell you, that Lily-girl really keeps me busy! Every day, she's coming up with something new! She's so nawtee!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom, thanks for the link! :) It's not exactly the one I had (that was from a veterinarian site from Switzerland), but this one seems to be very good as well. I've bookmarked it! :)

Kirsten