PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend's dog allergies

schteve_d
05-13-2004, 01:32 AM
Hi all

I have two wonderful dogs and have had them for quite some time (they were the dogs of the day Oct. 12, 2001!). I check the dog of the day every single day but just now signed up on the board to (hopefully) solve a problem. I have been with my girlfriend for two years and her allergies to the dogs seem to be getting worse. There is no way I can fathom giving up the dogs, but I don't want to give her up either! She does not want to take "drugs" to deal with it, but I think she would be ok with a herbal remedy or the like. Does anyone know of a proven herbal remedy??! I have searched the 'net for countless hours but I can't tell the "snake oils" from the products which may actually work to keep us a happy family! I may only get one shot at this!

Thank-you,

Steve

aly
05-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Hi! Welcome to Pet Talk!

I wish I could help you but I don't have any allergies. I'm sure there's someone here who can offer some advice though! I just wanted to say welcome :)

K9soul
05-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the board! That sounds like a bit of a dilemma you have there :(. I wish I knew of any proven herbal remedies for allergies, but I'm afraid I don't know of any off-hand.

I hope someone else here will be able to offer you more information, but I just wanted to say welcome, and to bump your thread back to the top :)

ramanth
05-13-2004, 08:13 AM
My mom has severe allergies, but she's allergic to more than just pets so she takes 'drugs'. They don't dope her up or anything and in a pinch Benedryl has helped. They have 5 cats.

The trick is to clean, clean, clean.

I have two cats and dog. The dog doesn't bother my boyfriend, but the cats do. I find that if I open up the windows and really vaccuum the areas the cats frequent the most, his allergies don't act up. He also takes Benedryl in a pinch.

I'm not sure of any herbal remedies, but I'll look.

I once heard there was something you could bathe your pet in to help people with allergies.

Karen
05-13-2004, 08:29 AM
I know of no herbal remedies for allergies. The only "herbal" cure I know of is that when my Dad was a kid and his asthma was acting up, they'd make skunk cabbage tea for him - mainly to breathe the steam. Bleeaaaagh. Yuuuuck. (p.S. I swear most asthma meds are based on something similar - they all taste evil.)

I take allergy meds, and they work. I am not drowsy, don't feel "doped up" or anything - but I CAN breathe through my nose. I know they are "drugs" but they are also tested and proven safe in most cases for most people, which ain't true for many herbal "cures."

Air filters, a HEPA-filter vacuum cleaner on all rugs once a day, clean doggies - all these things'll help. Has she had her allergies tested ever?

BitsyNaceyDog
05-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Allerpet is a lotion you put on you dogs that works against allergies. I've never actually used it myself, but I know people who have and it's so-pose to work pretty good. Check it out here- Allerpet (http://www.natlallergy.com/allergy/products/cart/search/view_one_spread.txt/spreadid/1233)

Good luck and welcome.:)